“Musk Ox” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lazy Bear Cafe
Ranked #4 of 7 Restaurants in Churchill
Cuisines: Cafe, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winnipeg, Canada
“Musk Ox”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

I decided to try out the Musk Ox and it was pretty tasty. Glad I tried it. Other local options are Caribou and Arctic Char, however you can get regular items like steak, ribs, burgers, etc. Our server Laurens was hilarious and helpful. Good service.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Kelly P

australia
“the food supply and presentation was yummie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

the service was excellent, the staff were also very friendly. We as a group went back on a number of times during our stay at Bluesky b and b

Visited July 2013
1 Thank janet074
Graton, CA
“Disappointed not to get in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We'd heard nothing but enthusiastic praise for the restaurant and the lodge from many people, but on our March visit the place was shut tight and locked up. It sure looked swell from the outside, though, being a huge log structure very picturesquely covered in snow, and I even tried to go up to the door to knock but ended up flunching through a snowdrift nearly to my armpits. Took me a few minutes to struggle out, to the great amusement of my wife. I suppose we should have tried telephoning them to enquire first...maybe next time?...

Visited March 2013
Harleysville, Pennsylvania
“Dinner at the Lazy bear lodge”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

During a recent trip to Churchill to see the Polar Bears we stopped at the Lazy Bear Lodge for dinner. Excited to try the Arctic Char we placed our order. The menu said the Char was prepared with dill and since that is not something I enjoy I asked to have it prepared without dill.
When my meal arrived it was a beautiful piece of Char that resembled Haddock..white and dense but there was a THICK coating of garlic on the fish which spoiled the flavor...I told our waitress I was sorry but I could not eat it with such a heavy coating of garlic.
She seemed understanding and said she would take it back and request it be broiled without garlic
It took about 20 minutes and when she returned she brought a very thin piece ofSALMON!
It was dry and looked awful. The waitress said it was Char, but it was salmon and prepared with nothing at all. I did not send it back ..after all..what would they bring next...but it was the worst Salmon I ever ate. Please understand, I am not in the habit of sending a meal back and I am not a fussy eater.
I would not recommend this restaurant and the mean spirited staff, chefs at the restaurant.
If you still decide to eat at the restaurant..beware..ask about the preparation and be prepared for their wrath if you are unhappy with you meal.
Kathy Moyer from PA

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Kathy M
Edmonton, Canada
“Nice atmosphere , NO ALCOHOL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The lazy bear is probably the place to go for strictly ambiance, My boyfriend and I went there for lunch on our last day and enjoyed it . Skipped it for our evenings out as there is no alcohol served and we enjoy wine with diner.No corkage allowed either .

The food : We went for lunch on our last day and enjoyed our meal we had the appetizer platter which we sound pretty standard - deep fried everything but done right and not greasy , also we shared the chicken wrap which was fresh ( hard to do in the north) and full of flavor . A good off set for appi's . One real shame is they served no northern food over lunch - No muskox stew , cariboo etc We were looking forward to trying their take on the traditional cuisine . My boyfriend had the milkshake which was suggested by the B & B owner it was rich,creamy and chalk full of orea cookie . Very good !

Service: It was ok, a large new tour group had come in 10 minute prior to us so the waitresses were busy trying to keep up

Decor : Hand built by the owner over the course of 10 years . Its amazing .

When i come back on sping for the beluga I will try the evening there until then happy eating :)

• Visited November 2012