“Bucket list spectacular!”

Churchill Northern Studies Centre
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Churchill
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This trip was extraordinary. Rarely does one get the opportunity to vacation in an active research environment. CNSC provides an all encompassing experience of education, fun, fascinating people, comfortable accommodations and good food! Dog sledding, snow shoeing, snow mobile rides, snow hikes, interesting and entertaining speakers and 5 nights of amazing northern lights! Cross one off the bucket list with a BIG AAA++++

5  Thank rosebunch

Reviewed March 14, 2013

CNSC holds many learning vacations over the year. I attended their "Winter Skies Workshop from Feb 27-March 5 2013. This was the second time at this Aurora & Astronomy vacation package. I also attended their Feb 2012 one. Both workshops had nightly lectures, northern lights sight seeing, dog sledding, visits to Eskimo museum all are included with your room and board. CNSC have dorm style beds generally you have a roommate. The food is plentiful and fabulous. This 5 day/night workshop was amazing and we were wowed as the northern lights were very
active so we saw lights shows each night. There is a viewing dome for those that don't want to brave the cold but for the braver souls you can photograph the northern lights from an outside balcony or in the parking lot of the CNSC. All the program registration fees are used to support the research at the centre. I have heard the polar bear vacations are also amazing. Worth putting on your bucket list. Bring your camera. Just for the record it is cold! Bring layers and prepare for temp -30 more or colder. You can also rent from the CNSC clothes for $$ a day. They have the heavy clothes that are designed to deal with the harsh temp-- if you don't want to carry winter clothes that you will only use once this might be an option you might consider. If you are coming up in Feb/March pack in terms of cold weather. Long underwear, layers, vests, wool socks doubles, warm parkas, hand warmers if you are so inclined, boots with wool inserts to keep the cold away, scarfs, and layer, layer and layer. Also if you are intending to photograph remember to bring 3-4 extra batteries as the cold weather eats up battery energy very quickly. The internet service in the building is fantastic so no problem reaching family and friends. The CNSC picks you up from Churchill airport in a van and takes you to the CNSC building where the venue of the vacation occurs . They are organized and run a great tour.

6  Thank Southpawpoet
Reviewed March 7, 2013

What a marvelous experience this was!! I have wanted to see the Northern Lights for a long time and upon finding out that this was the year to do it, I started investigating places and came upon this Centre. Not only did we get to see the lights, (only 1 night was absolutely amazing, but you takes your chances in regards to clear night skies), but this was also very educational. Because the Aurora takes place at night, the Centre planned out terrific day excursions for us. From dog sledding,(which was fabulous), to snowmobiling, to a day in the town of Churchill, to many many interesting and informative lectures. The beauty of this place is that there is an indoor dome where you can watch for the aurora to appear, and then scream outside to experience it. Many a night did I spend in that dome watching and waiting. Many a sleepless night, but it was worth it. You can always catch up on your sleep later. There is also an outdoor large deck from where you can view the sky and take photos.

The rooms are bunks with two bunks in each room. We came at a slow time, (course wise), to the Centre, so my husband and I got a room to ourselves. The beds were really comfortable. The washrooms and showers are all shared, but no problems with that. There is a laundry room there also that is pay as you go. The Centre is very light and bright with many windows. Our room looked onto the back of the property and had a very nice view through a large window.

What I really loved was the cafeteria food. I have never had so many terrific, delicious meals, back to back, ever. The food was really outstanding as where the deserts!!! There were also always hot and cold beverages available at all times and also leftovers in a fridge that you could help yourself to. I certainly did put on a few pounds.
This Centre has many other courses that they offer, Polar Bear watching, Beluga Whale watching and many more.
As for cost, the aurora viewing was reasonable, however getting to Churchill was the expensive part of the excursion. Fortunately I had enough air miles to get both my husband and myself there - so if you would like to make the trip - save up those points.
The Centre does come to pick you up when you arrive, wither by plane or by train.
All in all this was a wonderful experience. I hope to return for the Polar Bears at one point.
Kudos the Churchill Northern Studies Centre.

3  Thank dody_9
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I took part in a program learning about and viewing Aurora Borealis. Teaching and research staff were excellent educators so that it was fun to learn. We also learned about snow ecology and polar bears and rode a dog sled. Everything about the setting was comfortable and friendly. We rented arctic outer wear. It was one of my most wonderful travel experiences.

3  Thank thirdsister70
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Beautiful, clean facility. Food was plentiful and delicious! Presentations/lectures were given by passionate experts in the field. I had a wonderful time and learned so much; I plan to return for another one of their programs this year.

Program registration fees used to support research at the centre.

3  Thank Su S