“A Great Company For A Great Experience”

Great White Bear Tours
Ranked #2 of 12 Tours in Churchill
Miami, Florida
226 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 299 helpful votes
“A Great Company For A Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Going to see polar bears in “The Polar Bear Capital Of The World”, Churchill, Manitoba is by no means a cheap proposition. Most people go to Churchill as a part of a tour group but at certain times of the season you can book individual day tours with various companies.

For my trip to Churchill last September I booked a day tour for CAD$400 with Great White Bear Tour.

From the moment I checked in the night before my tour and met some of the friendly staff, without a doubt I knew I had chosen the right company.

I went on the first touring day for Great White and ended up in a group with only six other passengers. Although it was unusually warm for the bears to be out (still in the 30's) we were fortunate to spot a few of them.

Our first sighting came from a distance but we were able to get up close to witness two bears having fun with each other. We are told it is uncommon to see bears sparing with each other during a tour.

Although Great White tundra buggies which were in extremely good condition compared to the competition can hold about 36 passengers, they carry a maximum of 18 plus a tour guide on group tours.

While on the tundra we came across other buggies that I could tell were much more crowded. While this might be good for business it might not necessarily be good for the customers comfort and animal viewing.

Great White tundra buggies offer airline type seating for ride comfort, two huge slanted windshields for better viewing and a rear observation platform with see through flooring that is nice for taking pictures.

From my perspective, I do not know how you can go wrong in choosing Great White Bear Tour for such an experience of a lifetime.

Visited September 2012
8 Thank DMBTraveler

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Polar Bears a must for anyone who loves nature!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

I did a day tour with Great White Bear Tours in Churchill recently, and left feeling absolutely privileged to have been able to experience these magestic creatures. Over the years Ive been lucky to have some wonderful interaction with nature, but this might well be the pinnacle of anything I had seen previously.

I was really happy with the customer service from all the staff at Great White Bear. The office staff were very helpful during the booking of the tour, and our guide Val ran a great tour. Being a guide myself, I have a good understanding of what makes a good tour.

We had a very windy day for our tour which was always going to make it hard to find the bears, but by the end of the day I think we had seen 12, with many of them very close. I only have a basic point and shoot camera, but still managed to get some great photos.

I would like to thank Val again for a great day. She showed great patience even when we didn't see any bears at the start of the day. I could see some guests were getting frustrated, especially when we could see some bears off in the distance very close to another tour group. Val explained that if we were to drive over there we would likely frighten the bears off. She clearly knew exactly what she was doing, and by the afternoon everyone was smiling after numerous close encounters including 3 males sparring, and another that put his paws up on the side of the buggy!

All in all a great day. Thanks again. My only other piece of advice is to include more commentary during the tour, especially when there aren't any bears around. Val clearly had a great knowledge as she answered our questions well, but more general commentary would make a great tour even better!

4 Thank Freespirittravelong
Panama
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Get up close to Polar Bears”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

My husband and I spent a day on the vehicle and it was fantastic. The lunch was good-hot stew.
Would have been better if there was a guide. But that day there was only the driver and he didn't say too much.

San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“14 Bears in November with Rhonda”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

When they say this is a once in a life time experience , they're aren't kidding. If you like adventure, the arctic and of course polar bears, you have to do this tour.

Don't waste your time with the other operators, go with Great White Tours. Their goal is to give you the best experience possible. Our tour guide Rhonda was absolutely wonderful. She's been doing this for a long time and she knows her stuff. She knows bears. She's down to earth and honest. She's also funny and had me in stitches for hours. I learned so much from her. The cost of the tour was worth that alone.

They served a nice hot lunch and also provided binoculars and in my case, gloves as well.
Another thing I liked, is that there were only 11 people on board, so everyone had a window to take pictures through.

Thanks to Rhonda's keen eye, we saw 14 bears with 3 of them actually climbing up to the windows and the back end of the buggy. It was more than I could ask for. This is actually a good number considering it was the last day of bear season.

I liked the town and people of Churchill and this tour operator so much that I'm actually considering returning next year to do it again. Thanks Churchill and Great White Tours!

6 Thank Stephen G
Brisbane
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Simply the Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Booked a Tour with GWBT independently, it is great to know it is a local firm, run by very knowledgeable people. We had an amazing trip & can't believe how close we got to these special animals.

1 Thank Chelseastella