“Had to go back the next day!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Lady of the Lake Shop, Cafe & Pub
Ranked #7 of 134 Restaurants in Brandon
Cuisines: Canadian, Soups, International, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Come and sit a spell in our sunny cafe. Our recommendation for lunch is a lovely piece of quiche with one of our fresh salads. The wine and cheese salad, fresh greens with goat cheese, grapes, pecans and our famous balsamic vinaigrette is a customer favorite. Then, indulge in a delicious slice of New York style cheesecake, while sipping a steaming cup of gourmet tea. We source local food, organic when we can and make all our desserts, scones, dressings & sauces with quality ingredients. We purchase our bread and cinnamon buns from a local, organic bakery. Our beef is from local, natural producers. In season, Stephanie grows a variety of our greens, veggies and flowers, straight from the farm to our kitchen. "Excellent - great to find a place with a gluten free menu" ~ Marion
Ottawa, ON
“Had to go back the next day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

Visiting Brandon from Ottawa over the years, I had been to the Lady of the Lake at its former location on 18th Street, mainly to buy gifts. I understand that it was destroyed by fire. The new location on 17th Street North is not as easy to find, but the new restaurant is superb. I went there for a very late lunch with my husband and my brother and sister. The restaurant was 15 minutes away from closing at 4 pm (it was a Monday), and we were on the verge of turning away, but the waitress welcomed us warmly and urged us to stay.

The food and service were excellent and we had to go back the next day. It cost a bit more than a usual lunch, but not too expensive either.

Over this meal and lunch the next day, we ordered the soup of the day (the most delicious and hot butternut squash purée, garnished with a swirl of cream and toasted nuts), a sweet curried chicken salad sandwich, both the "Spinach Saskatoon" and "Wine and Cheese" salads, the huge Excaliburger, and the Quiche of the day (roasted vegetables and cheese). The food delighted four very different people with different tastes, including my brother, the Spice-it-up Carnivore, and my sister, the picky soup-Nazi.

The service was friendly, unobtrusive and the food was prompt. Our waters were refilled regularly. The dining room is a spacious, retro mix of scrupulously clean tables surrounded by large windows. The desserts in the glass cases looked fabulous, but alas, we were too full to try them.

Highly recommended, and I wish it was closer. This place can hold its head up with the best 100-mile menus in eastern Canada, including Montréal. Come to think of it, it is better than anything I've tried for lunch so far in Vancouver, as well. It was such a treat to find something so good in a city where you don't expect to find creative cooking so easily.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AlmaFudd

Brandon
“Homemade”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

There food is very down to earth and full of goodness.I would tell anyone to go there for lunch,I have not been there for Supper but hear its very good too

Brandon, Canada
“Great place in Brandon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Nice ambience. You can dine al fresco in the front in the summer. The Prince Chicken pizza is great. It's on a sort of thin crust flatbread and they drizzle this sort of balsamic vinaigrette syrup on top. I just discovered the Thursday special that another reviewer mentioned. You can get a pizza, plus wine or beer or soup or salad for $10. Wow. They do sangria. They have a little area near the front with all these vintage children's kitchen toys to amuse the kids if necessary. There's a little stove and ironing board etc. What else can I say? Great desserts too. And they have truffles. I heard they do a great brunch with a very yummy breakfast wrap. They're right on the main drag. If you were coming into town on the TransCanada, take the 18th Street exit, go down the hill, and it's right before you cross the railroad tracks.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank rtw2010
British Columbia, Canada
“Great Meals, and Beyond Fantastic Cheesecake”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Dare I say, the most excellent cheesecake you'll ever have. I was very pleasantly surprised by this place... Don't underestimate it. There's a really great store to look at too, home decor and knick knack stuff. A bit pricey but stuff you can't find at Home Sense, etc. Anyway, the cheesecake is to die for!

Visited May 2012
Moose Jaw, Canada
“Very unique local attraction”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The cafe/pub is located in a building with collectables as part of the atmosphere; even the tables and chairs are collections of old furniture that has been re purposed. The menu is indeed eclectic with some local foods and dishes, not typical of chain offerings. I had the steak Oscar (after they brought me the wrong entree, and quickly recovered). My meal was presented nicely and was delicious as were the other meals served to our table. The prices are low for the style and quality of food that we received. The only change I would request is that they start the music quite a bit later. We arrived at 6:00 PM, and the music started before 7:00. It is difficult to have a family meal when you have to yell across the table to your dinner mates. I would return to this location, after making sure our experience would not be interrupted by music.

• Visited July 2012