“Comfy, clean but lacks quality service”

Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Brandon
Calgary, Canada
“Comfy, clean but lacks quality service”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Clean room with comfortable beds, location is on the way through town and easy to locate. Booked this Through hotels.com and discovered in error that it was booked for one person, not four as intended via their website. Booked a room with 2 queens and when I called them and explained I was suppose to be for four people I was told an 'extra person' room charged would apply because of the free breakfast offered. this would be an increase of $120. I explained that it was an error on my behalf but regardless they not accommodate my request even though we were booked for five nights.
We checked in and were given a daily breakfast ticket for only one person. There is a restaurant on-site that offers a menu service along with a breakfast buffet. the selection is okay but the quality of food is poor....rubbery scrambled eggs and not enough muffins. Coffee is available to help yourself to but not tea. Also, if there are less than100 guest in the hotel, the buffet is not available!! If you wish to use the bar, it closed at 9 pm.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My mom and I stayed at this hotel during a cross-country road trip. The staff was friendly and accommodating and were happy to change our room for us when it was evident that someone had smoked in the room (even though it is non-smoking). Customer service was excellent! The pool was nice and had kind of a jungle theme with a big whirlpool. The hot complimentary breakfast was delicious and service was prompt and professional. While the look of the hotel (especially the outside) is a little dated, the rooms are nice and comfortable. I definitely recommend this hotel if you are staying in Brandon!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennyb23
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Well, let's start with the breakfasts here. Just downright aweful. Ordered a Eggs Benedict and it was cooked completely wrong. The egg was poached hard, not soft; the english muffin was NOT toasted, it seemed like it came right out of the fridge; and the hollandaise sauce was pretty much non-existent... Oh and it took about 45 minutes to get the food. Weak...
The pool and hot-tub were decent. But one thing about the pool, if you have a pool side suite, be prepared to be woken up at 8 AM by splashing of kids and of the water-bucket dropper. Very poor sound insulating between the pool and you hotel room.
Now, the room itself was decent. Nice TV, but very little in the way of room lighting, 3 table lamps does not light the room up very much.
The biggest problem I had with this hotel was the fact that they scheduled some construction workers to do renovations in the room directly below mine. They started hammering and drilling at 8 AM on a SUNDAY!! I could understand if it was a weekday, but not a bloody sunday in a hotel where they knew that there was a wedding party(s) staying above that room. When I told the check-out lady (not the word I originally used) about this she did not seem to care or even offer an apology. She just made up excuses and gave me my bill. To me, that is totally unacceptable, I paid damn good money for the room. I wouldn't have writen this review if she even did as little as offer an apology, but she was very snarky and thus why I am writing this review...
Overall, not a great experience. Will definitely never stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
BrentMiller, General Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this review, September 1, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor please feel free to contact me at 204-725-5730 personally to further discuss your stay with us.
Edmonton
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I was in Brandon for a conference which happened to be at this hotel. That's why I gave it the full rating for location. It was easy to find-even my GPS didn't have me driving in circles and since the conference was on site and the restaurant was good there was no reason to leave. The thing that shocked me most, and likely lead to my surprise at how great my room was was that there is no cut out in the curb at the front door to pull a display, or big suitcase up. Lots of ramps inside though. The outside is a bit dated as well but my room was amazing. It must have been reno'd recently. Nice flat screen TV Mounted above the desk. An armoire with a fridge and a microwave. There wasn't much space to hang long items-but I managed to make it work. The bathroom was out of this world, my first experience with a steam shower...once I figured it out it was great. I kept seeing signs for a 110% cleanliness guarantee. I am always bothered by those signs because really how can you guarantee something 10% more than 100%? Well the Victoria Inn has figured out how. If you're not satisfied with one of the things they guarantee you get that night free and 10% off the following night. I am happy to say I never had to test that guarantee.

Keeping in mind the style of hotel this is it is a great little place to stay. If you have kids it would be lots of fun as well since the interior couryard has a pool and a play park as well as a hot tub. I was happy that my room wasn't one of the ones that faced onto the pool as that might have been a bit noisey....again with kids though it would have been fantastic.

All in all I had a great stay at the Victoria Inn. I didn't ask much and it made me feel right at home....and as I said super well rested. What more can you ask for in a hotel for a work road trip.

Room Tip: make sure to ask for one with a steam shower,
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Port Colborne, Canada
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Brandon's best motor hotel. The Victoria Inn has excellent service, comfortable rooms, and a pool that accommodates young children (shallow end depth is 0.85 meters/2.8 ft). We could have used a little more space outside the rooms for our large family get-together, but the space we had was quite usable. There was some noise from the pool area, but it became quite quiet after pool hours. Being halfway along on a long trip, we appreciated being able to do our laundry on site. All in all, it was the most enjoyable stay on our trip.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Saskatchewan
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed at the Victoria Inn on a high school trip. There were a number of groups there at the same time and the staff is obviously accustomed to hosting them. Our rooms were close together with the chaperons between the girls and boys. The pool area is a good size and the in-room DVD players and fridges were popular. The hot breakfast buffet was good and hadenough selection to satisfy the varied appetites. Despite the large number of teens in the hotel, it was very quiet in the rooms and the beds make for a comfortable sleep.

• Stayed March 2010
ontario
Reviewed February 4, 2010

sucked big time when we paid ahead of time and then they handed us a bill with more money for services, for which we didn't need nor wanted and they did not tell us we had to pay for this. Why do we need to pay for extra services when it should be all included in the hotel bill, my friend told the lady at the front the hotel sucks anyways. We definitely won't be staying there.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
BrentMiller, Manager at Victoria Inn Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor please feel free to contact me personally to further discuss your stay with us.