“Consistantly Very Good”

Clarion Hotel & Suites
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Brandon
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stay at this facility on every business trip to Brandon (about every 6 weeks), and am always pleased with the Royal Oak. Rooms are large, well appointed and very clean. Love the covered parking in the winter, too. Echo Diningroom is great for dining in, or room service. Never have had any problems here.

Room Tip: Rooms in new addition are larger, and away from the pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Jason R, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2013

Thanks You very much for your positive comments in your review, I appreciate it! I'm glad to hear your stays at the Royal Oak Inn are good ones. Please ask for myself upon your next visit as I would be more than happy to meet you and maybe even take in an appetizer and beverage in the lounge.
Cheers!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We experienced the same type of weekend as outlined in the review below this review. However, I chose to personally phone the management on Monday morning, after also trying to make headway with the front desk attendant on Sunday morning.

I was able to reach Jason, the general manager, and outlined our weekend stay. I asked him if the hotel was willing to compensate for our awful stay in any way, and he said if he started giving handouts now, it would never end. He had an excuse for every poor situation I brought up.

Scenario A: the loud kids in the hallway running rampant.
Reply: We have a hired-out security firm that is supposed to monitor this, they're going to get a talking to this morning.

Scenario B: the temperature in the room.
Reply: It is what it is, we have a plan to renovate rooms, paint, change wall paper and heating systems, that started this morning.

Scenario C: Poop in the pool. I understand it's not the hotel's fault, but it's certainly not MY fault.
Reply: Well, I bet you I heard from every single parent staying in that hotel on Saturday evening, and each one of them guaranteed it wasn't their kid that did it. But, it was someone's kid. But parents won't own up to their own kids' mistakes.

Scenario D: Kids misbehaving in pool area while the pool attendant (hotel staff) just sits, reads a magazine, and does nothing.
Reply: Well, you can't police kids now-a-days. You try to tell a child that they're misbehaving. Then you hear from their parents, telling you not to police their child. If a kid is misbehaving parents won't let you deal with it. **I believe this, fully, BUT, how about exercising your right to refuse service to people, and if the parents are that bad, kick them out of the hotel all together.

Scenario E: Lack of communication during the fire alarm.
Reply: There's no way to communicate this with every hotel guest.
My reply: Well, I suggest you find a way. It's kind of a big deal to just wonder if it's safe to go back to your room.

Scenario F: rudeness at the front desk and lack of caring from staff.
Reply: Well it was a rough weekend, they were probably tired of hearing all the complaints.

Scenario G: I explained to the GM that I fully understand how sometimes things happen that negatively affect your business that are completely out of your control. And as managers you must do something to encourage your customers to come back.
Reply: like I said, if we were to offer incentives, we'd never see the end of it.

Just a very, very frustrating stay on a very bad weekend. And talking to the management just made it more frustrating. Poor quality of service from all levels of staff.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Avid T
Jason R, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Again, thanks for the call and the review, I'm not going to go through all the cases you have wrote about because I think I can sum it up a little quicker. Never have I used the words "It is what it is", not something I would ever say. I never defend poor customer service. In a lot of the situations we should have been better and handled things in a different manner, including our security staff. Customer service is my number 1 priority, always will be. I understand that night was not a good one for our guests, pool closed, fire alarm going off early sunday morning...... But I did say I hope parents would understand that we close the pool for safety reasons, it is mandatory. The fire alarm is always the worst for guests, but it could save someone's life one day. In saying that, our staff have to handle it better and understand what our guests are going through. I do hope you will call again if you want to discuss this further, I'm always available. Our renovations are coming along great. Cheers!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Seriously don't know where to start.

We stayed the night of January 19...checking went smooth, but parking was a nightmare.
Got to the room and was completely blown away by the extreme temperature in the room. SO HOT. Upon further investigation we see that the thermostat was already turned off. And we have a pool view, so can't open the window.

I go to get ice, and there's kids running EVERYWHERE in the hallways...screaming! yelling, playing mini sticks. Blocking entrances, playing with nurf guns...Does the hotel have no rules?? This hotel is SO loud.

We settle I'm and decide to go for a swim. Which is completely crawling with misbehaving, erratic, noisy kids (don't get me wrong, I understand that a hotel with a water slide will have a lot of families, and kids are noisy). 5-6 kids going down the slide at once, and ghe pool attendant is sitting on a chair reading a magazine. A few minutes later we see the slide turn off and the pool empty out. We overhear through the hallways that the pool will be closed for 12 hours, and later heard from a hotel member that one of the kids used the pool as his or her bathroom. Awesome. The reason we chose to spend $140 for a nights stay at the Royal Oak was for the pool facilities. We did use the hot tub, but only enjoyed a few minutes in it because it was over run with kids, who were cannon balling in to it. Literally. WHERE IS THE STAFF? WHY IS THIS ALLOWED??

Back to the temp in the room...I called the desk and they said they'd send someone up with a fan. Which was nice, but all it did was blow hot air around and dry it out even more. The lady who brought it up said herself that these rooms are always way too hot and the hotel should do something about it.

So...a long, sleepless night due to the heat and dry conditions....and surprise! 6:25 am the fire alarm goes off. Sleepily get dressed and vacate the room, and all the hotel guests are standing around in the lobby as the fire alarm shrieks in our ears. The fire dept showed up, and the alarm turns off, and everyone waits around to see if it's safe to go back to room or what the deal is, and no hotel official comes to say anything. No sign of anyone anywhere. Go back to the room about 7:00. Sleep for a few hours and I decide to go talk to the people at the front desk about our stay. What a waste of time and energy. I asked if the price of the stay is going to be discounted due to all of our issues, and this is how the conversation goes:

Me: I know you've probably been gettin this a lot, But we were very unhappy with our stay, and was wondering if there was anything you could do to discount the price of the room due to this weekends evens.
Her: no ma'am, everything was out of the hotels control and it is not our fault a kid pooped in the pool and there was a false alarm.
Me: believe me, I completely understand, but It is really not our fault at all, and we were unable to enjoy the hotels amenities, plus have hardly slept a wink. The hotel really isn't willing to do anything to make this right?
Her: no ma'am. If it was a real fire your stay would be comp'd for sure.
Me: well, I can guarantee because of that I will never be back.
Her: that's your choice...it's really not our fault.

Ok. I really do get that. But sometimes things happen that aren't your fault, and sometimes you have to do something to make it right. You just do. I run a business, if anyone understands that sometimes things are out of your control, it's me. But when things happen, I make them right for my customers.

To boot, upon checkout, I wasn't asked how my stay was, if I'd like to leave the room on my credit card, or told to have a nice day. I said I needed to checkout and they asked for the room number, and all of a sudden I had a cc receipt to sign, and that was it. Horrible, horrible customer service. And the front desk attendant was different than the one I originally spoke with - so its not like she knew my issues. I'm guessing they probably got tired of being told how bad things were. Which would suck. But at $140/night, we got ripped off. Big time.

Because of the lack of caring, concern, and communication during an emergency-like situation, I guarantee I will neve return to the Royal Oak. You can guaranteed I will do my best to make sure no one I know will either.

Oh, btw. The doors say for your safety from the hours of 8pm and 5am these doors will be automatically locked for your safety. This is inaccurate. They weren't locked at 1 am....safe huh? Also, heard an off-duty hotel worker call the girl working at the front desk a very derogatory name. I was appalled.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. But if you do, don't stay anywhere near the pool!!!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank sandandfreckles
Jason R, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Good Morning. I believe we spoke on the phone yesterday but I would still like to post a few things. First, thank you for the call and the review. The Royal Oak has 156 rooms and ample parking of 400 stalls. Parking stalls are available all the way around the Hotel as well as underground heated parking. The customer service you received was inexcusable, my deepest apologies, something I take very seriously and something I'm devoting my time to in the next few days. We have security on every night and that ball was obviously dropped by them not doing a proper job. Looking into this as well. The pool doors say locked between 11pm and 5am, not 8pm as the pool is open to 10:30pm. as for the pool closing and the fire alarm going off, I would hope that parents would understand and appreciate the fact we do everything by the book to ensure 100% safety, it could save somebody's life some day. We should have more responsive to the guests in letting them know what was going on and I thank those who did come to the lobby. We are renovating as we speak, installing new heating/coolong units in every room on the 1st and 2nd floors. Please contact me if you have any other concerns.
Cheers

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Brandon is my home town and it was always thought that this hotel was the place to stay. The room temperature was absolutely unbearable we propped the door open and the windows to try and cool it off. The room was booked as a pool view room and the last time I checked the pool wasn't facing Victoria Avenue and didn't have the bar beside it. We called the front desk to ask about the heat and how to control it and was told the thermostat was in my room which is great if it worked. I will say the rowdy group of teenagers that booked for the second night of our trip were escorted out for partying but seeing we had to leave the window open to cool off at night to sleep we had to deal with the bar crowd. The parking was horrible, our key cards stopped working so since we had to park at the back of the building, we ended up having to walk all around to get them redone. I will not be staying here again, and the more I read about the free breakfast I would like to know how anyone got that seeing that it wasn't told to us. I booked online, I booked with a pool view and when I got there was told there were no rooms for that. Why allow that to be booked when you don't get that. Just musty and all around not a place you want to stay with a family I think.

Room Tip: Do not book facing the main street you will just get the bar crowd.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Amber M

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sorry to hear your stay was not a pleasant one. I have done some checking into the wrong room being booked. I encourage all guests to book witht the Hotel as booking online has It's disadvantages. We recieved confirmation from your on line booking agent that the room booked was a standard room, not poolside. A mistake that sometimes happens when the online booking agent sends us confirmation. I urge you to contact the agent to refund your money. Booking online does not include a free breakfast, which again is why I try to encourage people to book through the Hotel. If you have any questions please feel free to call myself at the Hotel and I would be more than happy to assist in any way I can. As for the Heat, I deeply apologize. We are currently undergoing renovations to equip every room with Heating/Cooling units to solve the problem.
Thanks Again!!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed for a hockey tournament and from the moment we walked in till we left, the room was way too hot. The rooms themselves were quite nice (with both a microwave and fridge) and clean however, due to the temperature we were not able to enjoy ourselves in the room. Even with the windows open it was very difficult to get much sleep let alone a good one. The beds were comfortable, but again, could not enjoy a good night's sleep. The hotel did offer fans but they had ran out of them before we could request. The breakfast was very good but we would have missed out if we had not asked because we were not given the coupons at checkin. We had three people therefore one had to pay for breakfast because you are only given two free ones each morning.

I would stay here again but ONLY IF THE HEAT PROBLEM IS FIXED. I really do not enjoy paying for a room that I cannot enjoy due to the temperature which we are unable to control.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hunter32
Jason R, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Good Morning and Thank You for your post. Please accept my apologies for the Heat issues during your stay. We are in the process of changing our 1st and 2nd floor units over so each room may be controlled separately. If there is anything I can assist you with, please do not hesitate to call. Cheers!!

Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here with a hockey group. When we first walked into our room the heat was cranked and it was boiling hot. We opened the window and it stayed open the whole time we were there as the room never did cool down, we had friends that had a poolside room and their room was even hotter than ours. We also had the pleasure of being on the side of the hotel by the bar so as if the heat, the people coming and going in the hallway wasn't enough we had the booming music and loud people outside.
They offer a free breakfast, well for two people in your room anyway, if you have anymore it's $10. Make sure you get there at a decent time as people after us had a half an hour wait.
This hotel has a nice pool area and most of the staff were very friendly
I would recommend staying somewhere else but if you have to stay here try to get on the third or fourth floor has they actually have air-conditioning.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank hayu
Jason R, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

The heat/air conditioning in our first and second floor rooms are being dealt with and are our #1 priority. We will be changing our system over in the New Year so each room will have It's own temperature control system to activate Heat/Cool. Please call me if you have any questions regarding this. I will be happy to help in any way I can. Cheers!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I didn't rest as well as I would have if they had shut off the pool lights at night after the pool closed instead of just dimming them. I found that it was an aggravation to have those lights on all the time even when they are so called dimmed the glare into the room is to much. The could provide a night shade to be pulled down, or a valance that would stop the light from coming into the room or something.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the pool are awesome!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank FrancesIII

Thanks for the many good ideas. Although our pool lights do need to be slightly on for safety reasons after the close of the pool, we have since experimented with a few of the ideas you suggested. Thanks Again.