“Great staff, great waterslide”

Clarion Hotel & Suites
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Brandon
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We had such a great experience at the Royal Oak Inn. The staff were so friendly and accomodating of our needs. The pool was a really comfortable temperature and the waterslide was really great for kids of all ages. The room we had was great and very clean. Having dvd players in the room and free movies available at the front desk was such a nice feature. Our stay was the best experience we have had at a hotel.

Room Tip: There is a section of the hotel that has a ventilation system that does not allow individual rooms t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Mark B, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you so much for all your positive feedback, my team and I are delighted to hear that our staff were so friendly and accommodating and that you had such a great experience. We are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had a terrible stay at the Royal Oak Inn. Although being poolside initially seemed great because it helped distract the babe while we got organized, the pool's 10:30pm closing time (and indoor waterslide) made for a very excited child until way past her bedtime. The windows appear to have been paper thin. Further, our floor happened to be inhabited by partiers who decided that 2am (and again at 3am) were good times to have extremely loud and boisterous conversations. Needless to say, none of us slept much that night, which is unfortunate given that we are on a cross-country trip and need our sleep to drive!.

To the hotel's credit, our complaint following the second disturbance was addressed quickly, and we didn't hear from our noisy neighbours again thereafter. The complimentary breakfast was also quite good, being a hot buffet style rather than the continental. However, the difference between a good hotel and a great one would have been some sort of apology the next morning for the noise. Having worked in a hotel in the past, I know that, at least in some hotels, you can tell who called down. I wasn't asked how my stay was (also would expect this from a great hotel), so I had to mention the disturbed night, which resulted in a half-hearted apology. Not too impressed.

Much as I would like to recommend this hotel, I can't as I doubt I would stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep, I would suggest avoiding the poolside rooms. Also, forget abou...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Mark B, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback regarding your stay with us. I apologize that you were disturbed by teh noisy pool, and would like to let you know that we do have a tower of rooms away from the pool with Executives Suites and also a Level 5 VIP Floor with secure access and guaranteed quiet time, perfect for families looking for peace and quiet or for the weary business traveller. I would like the opportunity to discuss with you in more detail the concerns of your stay so that we may be able to come to a resolution. Please feel free to contact me at the hotel so we can discuss.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

We recently spent 7 nights in a "Junior Suite" room at the Royal Oak. This room configuration was an excellent choice for our family. The adults enjoyed the sitting room (with wet bar and TV) and the kids enjoyed the bedroom complete with TV, digital cable box and DVD player. The pool area was clean and inviting. Our 1-yr old son loved the tot splash pool. The restaurant (Echo) had excellent food and service and the kids felt very welcome there. We stayed at this hotel last year and at that time had issues 1) getting seated for breakfast 2) with lack of service from front desk and restaurant staff, and 3) with some rowdy occupants on the weekends. This year, however, any trace of those issues had been resolved and I am pleased to say our stay exceeded our expectations! If we end up back in Brandon next August, we will stay here.

Room Tip: If you have children, spend the extra bucks and get a suite. It's excellent value for money comp...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Very happy to hear that you had such a great experience and enjoyed our spacious Executive (Junior) suites! Thrilled to learn that you gave us a second chance after some issues last year and that your stay with us was vastly improved. Looking forward to being able to accommodate you again in the future!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Room was clean and quiet. Staff were extremely helpful. Dining room experience was very positive - food was great. Dining room staff remembered our drink order from previous visits - coke no ice and coffee with cream. Excellent menu choices. Service was fast.
Cleaning staff were efficient and room was always neat and clean when we returned.

Room Tip: Suite on the south side was quiet and very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark B, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Thank you for your comments, my management team and I are delighted that we were able to provide you with such a memorable experience. Looking forward for the opportunity to serve you again soon in the future.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Overall, had a good stay. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was also very clean, and for the most part, pretty quiet. Had a couple of drinks and nachos at the bar. Nachos were, not great, but good, and not too bad of a price. The internet also worked great, which was a plus. The main downside of this place is that a lot of the the machines around the place were out of order. All but one vending machine didn't work, and according to the front desk staff was the fault of the supplier. If that's correct, would strongly suggest for them to be changing suppliers. Four out of the four machines in the fitness center were out of order, basically leaving the fitness center useless. The two ATM's were out of order till the next morning, and all the machines in the gaming room were out of order. Not sure if all of these machines are the fault of the hotel or suppliers. Overall, was a good stay, and would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some feedback. I am glad to hear that overall you had a pleasant experience with us and I am happy to inform you that our issues with vending equipment have been resolved.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stayed at the royal oak for my sons provincial baseball tournament. We had a good time...stayed poolside and things were quite for the most part. We found staff very friendly and helpful, and the resturant was very good for dinner. We heard breakfast wasn't great but we just went elsewhere. Btw the wine bar serves the biggest glass of wine ever. We are going back this weekend for more baseball and are staying at the royal oak again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments, I am happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I would ask that next time you visit, please join us for breakfast, we do have a very nice selection of a la carte breakfast items and offer a full breakfast buffet when the hotel is busy. Thanks again for staying with us.

Reviewed July 23, 2012

we were in town for a wedding and as soon as our stay began it was one issue after another the front desk staff was unfriendly and rushed us through then we try to get into our room and the key card did not work i am sure this happens on occassion but when we went to the front desk all they said was "it should work" we had nothing but trouble with the key cards all weekend hit and miss on room door ice machine exterior doors heard a lot of complaining from family members and guests i did not even know having the same problem once i finally get into the room the tv does not change channels after 3 phone calls to front desk someone finally comes to fix the problem still hearing that the key cards should work and when i say it takes any where from 3 to 20 plus tries they say oh we will look into no one smart enough to even ask my room number the room was either 15 or 25 degrees no in between the fridge was so loud i couldn't sleep the next morning when it was about 5 min for my key card to work i called down to front desk and said if i have to keep wrestling with this door key i am very likely going to tear the handle off the lady at the front very pleasantly said "ok" to which i politely said thank you have good day then we went for breakfast and things never got any better at breakfast i find out that my mother in law had no air conditioning while we waited 15 min to get menus in an almost empty restaurant the food took a long time to get there mine was cold and i guess i didn't deserve toast as i ordered the same thing as my uncle and he got toast but maybe they were busy trying figure out what kind of bug was crawling around inside my father in laws juice although it was exchanged no problem but no apology at this point i had all but given up as there was no sign showing a manager on duty and the staff seemed to have a hard time giving 2 squirts of pee if any one was happy or not my wife went for breakfast sunday morning and in a full hotel that has a menu of 80 percent eggs they ran out of eggs then when she finally got her meal it was cold as well in the mean time i was loading up our bags and the key card decided to stop working all together so as i was wrestling with the door handle that i was told i could rip off a cleaning lady said why don't u go get your card reprogramed i said i have been trying that all weekend and no one seems to want to help me so she walked down stairs to front desk and asked the lady to reprogram my card i got 2 new cards of which only one worked again i noticed no manager on duty and with my previous experience with the front desk i had my wife pay the bill as i just wanted to get out very disappointed in the staff there i filled out the comment card and left my name and number in hopes of somone one contacting me because i feel that if i owned this hotel i would want this brought to my attention so i could rectify these problems in short avoid if possible

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark B, General Manager at Clarion Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2012

This kind of feedback is very valuable to me to bring forth to my management team and allows us to make adjustments to our training and standard operating procedure. There is no excuse for the lack of service that you received and I will be making every effort to contact you so that we can discuss your concerns in more detail in person. On behalf of the management team, I apologize that we failed in our endeavors to deliver a positive and seamless experience to you while you were staying with us.