“Great Fishing, Poor Lodge”
Review of Gods River Lodge

Gods River Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitoba
Gods River Lodge
Ranked #105 of 125 Specialty Lodging in Manitoba
Chicago
“Great Fishing, Poor Lodge”
Reviewed June 23, 2007

God's River Lodge is located on famous God's Lake, located about 360 miles north east of Winnipeg. My dad and I headed there for a fishig trip and were excited about the prospect of huge Walleye and monster Northern Pike.

We weren't disappointed--it was the best fishing of our lives. We each recorded master anglers in walleye (28") and northern pike (41"). I would definitely go back to fish God's Lake, however, not while staying at God's River Lodge.

Although the main lodge was modern with a large eatning area, an upstairs rec room with a big sceen TV and room for card games, the indivdual cabins were terrible. For a group of two, the rooms were tiny (two beds and a dressor and no room to turn around). They were in horrible shape with doors that did not close, no heat (When the temp dipped to 32 degrees) and not well kept.

As we took the flight tho the lodge I asked many of the people in our group if they had been to the lodge before. The answer was "NO" from everyone. Strange, I thought. No repeat customers during the Spring--one of the most popular times to fish in Canada. But once I arrived, I understood why no one would come back. The personal service by the native indians who own and operate the lodge was shocking. No directions when we arrived as to where to go for the orientation. No smiles or "welcome to God's River Lodge". As a group we sort of wondered into the lodge and waited, and waited and waited.

Finally the "general manager" came in and gave us a synopsis of the day's events, which was a rambling mess that included that we should all consider their fly-out package for $375 to a lake where big fish could be caught. Apparently there weren't any on God's Lake, as he mentioned the group before us had a terrible time catching Masters. Way to get us all pumped up for the trip.
We didn't get on the water until 11:00 AM the first day and came in promptly at 5PM. Add two hours for shore lunch and we fished for about 31/2 hours the first day of a four day trip. We left Winnipeg at 6AM with the idea of being on the water at 9AM and getting an extra hour on the lake the first night--or so the brochure said.

Each morning our waitress poured coffee and served breakfast with no eye contact, no smiles and no "good morning." My dad and I felt as though we were a burden to the Indians who owned and operated the lodge.

As we got to know the other fishermen in camp, they all had similar feelings of the staff. The atmosphere was derpessing and had it not been for terrific fishing, the experience would have been a total loss.

There are three other lodges (family owned and operated) on God's Lake and I will definitely look into those should I decide to venture to northern Manitoba again.

26 Thank Travelor5

Travelers are raving about these Manitoba hotels

Families