“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #2 of 147 Restaurants in White Rock
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Our Senior Basketball Team had just finished playing in the Provincial tournament and I thought I would bring the team of 9 girls to Moby Dick's as It has been a favourite place of mine to visit. Coming from Cranbrook the girls do not get authentic fish and chips very often. We arrived at 11:30 before the lunch rush to get seats. The team and coach went ahead and I paid for parking. Upon arriving at the restaurant the girls had been seated at a table of 9 but the 7 remaining parents/coach were standing outside. I wondered what was going on and was told they do not take groups over 8 or 9. I went inside to see a restaurant that was not full, with many empty seats left for our parents outside. I asked Monika if we could sit at the empty tables but was told that they would not serve us as we were a large group. I asked why, and was condescendingly told," I already talked with your lovely coach and I'm sure that you fantastic parents can understand our policy that we do not take groups over 8-9. I recommended to your wonderful coach that it would be best to order take out and have a picnic on the beach" I was very taken a back as there were open seats, enough for the rest of our group, plus there would have been still a few empty tables left. I questioned the policy again as I was struggling to understand. I was then told it was not fair to other people who might want to get in as they had to pay for parking. Huh? We had 5 cars and had to pay for parking ourselves. I am still at a loss as to why you would not want to fill your restaurant? We even tried to say we will go in smaller groups to no avail. I have never been discriminated against before, but now can understand how people feel. I'm sorry you can not sit at our empty tables and be served. Thats our policy. WOW! I understand that loosing our group (as we pulled the girls out) is no issue to them as they are very busy, but it is easier to keep a customer than have to find a new one. In this case, I will not come back to this restaurant. Our group then went to the Fish Boat down the way, and were not only treated very well, ALL of our group was welcome because he too had enough empty seats. The Fish and chips were great at the fish boat and they got a $400 sale.

1  Thank Pharmasave255

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Good food, good atmosphere and friendly staff. Don't let the tired appearance of this wonderful eatery turn you away. A top notch experience.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I love this place, the batter is light and crispy, the fries are great, the tartar sauce is awesome and everything is actually Cheap. When you order Fish they always give you an extra if one is even a little undersized. Sure its greasy but its fresh and so good! In the winter, their quality is not as good in the summer just a heads up.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Really fresh fish..best fish & chips!
Take out and sit on the beach or eat in...MMM
Small eating area, great beach view when the weather permits sitting outside.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you want to have the best fish and chip meal head on down to Moby Dick's. When I lived closer to it we used to enjoy the food at least every few weeks but had moved away and hadn't been there for 30 years. What a surprise....the food is just as amazing and the staff as courteous. When you are in White Rock and feel a little peckish, stop by Moby Dick's and enjoy the fish and chips or anything else on the menu. You will be returning after tasting your meal. Yum. Enjoy.