Ocean Promenade Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Canadian Inn(Surrey)
View Hotel
All reviewsocean promenadeacross the streetunderground parkingone bedroom suitethe pubfull kitchentrain noiselight sleeperregular roomdining tablestove topsmall cafestayed for one nightper daypleasant staymarine drivenice property
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have been a TA member for several years, and RARELY write a review as I'm not often compelled to take the time to do so. It is with that in mind that a recent stay (my eleventh at this property in 7 years, for a total of 42 days spent at this property!) and a rare visit to this site left me astounded at some of the other comments.

Certainly, the majority of comments are very positive and rightfully so. But a percentage of the few negative ones left me scratching my head in disbelief! WHAT are some of you people talking about?? Your complaining about overhearing the front desk making a comment about another guest...ummm who cares?? Do you know what that other guest might have said or done? Not likely? After all, travellers become really demanding at hotels asking for things they wouldn't dream of doing/asking for at home...myself included! So we all have to watch for that. I can only imagine what front desk ppl might have said about me over the years b/c I can be picky lol. Your complaining about loud neighbours? Does the hotel control neighbours?? No. As for thin walls...there are people loud enough to be heard through any wall and the walls appeared concrete to me. Your complaining about flickering lights? They're called CFL's people and show this hotel is environmentally conscious. I've seen the flickering and it lasts maybe 1/2 a second like all CFL's...soo inconvenient!? Not! Your complaining about paying for parking? True, it is inconvenient and I'd prefer not to have to ever pay...however the lands surrounding this property are ALL metered and much more expensive to park than the gated, safe, and weatherproof underground the hotel provides, at a small fraction of comparable properties all over the world. I believe I paid approximately $8-10 CAD? Hotels of this calibre are $20-40/night to park!! You were locked out on the balcony walk rooms? Umm, learn how to use the key that opens the balcony walkway door lock (I've stayed in the walkway rooms twice, and never had any issue). You had to wait for the manager, or front desk person, or staff to attend to your request? People, when you stay at a place do you LOOK at the size of the hotel and make demands conscious of the properties size? Well if you don't, you should! This is a BOUTIQUE hotel and in all my stays, I've never seen more than two or three staff (outside of chamber staff) around the property at one time, ever! So I doubt they can possibly have a full-time engineering staff, and there is no bell-hop or concierge, so I'm assuming you have a couple of staff trying to answer phones, take reservations, resolve check-ins AND attend to extraneous requests such as "my lights are flickering" or "I can't turn my tv on" at the same time!! As for those tv's, they're called flat screens with a digital box. Read the instructions and follow along (so simple it's not worth mentioning) and you will have tv...ta dah! Is it really a wonder with all the idiotic griping I've read on here about places all over the world that some hotel staff might become a little irritated? Especially boutique hotels which get treated like a 500room Four Seasons by some travellers it appears.

Regardless, for those of you with some travel maturity, you get my point!! It's a small hotel (has to be under 100 rooms I'm guessing) with a really small staff that is considerate, efficient, and left my family and friends wanting for nothing. To be honest, it was really nice to call down and always get somebody right away or within a minute or two. For those of you who've stayed at well known large properties, you know that is not always the case! The staff were incredibly friendly in all my stays and though there were a couple of less friendly ones, they were never rude and often understandably very busy. I do recall being in the lobby awaiting assistance having to listen to a fellow vacationer complain about the thread count of their sheets and where they're manufactured!! Yes people, it's a really nice place with great rates for the most part but naturally can get pricey in their high season (again, very reasonably so though) and I'm afraid it thus draws guests who consider themselves "upper crust" and don't feel they've vacationed unless they've complained! lol.

This is a small community (suburb) of the city of Vancouver and its about a forty minute drive to the city. It's really got a neat comfortable beach community feel to it, without being "cottage-like" as it does have all the city amenities nearby (lots of restaurants, the essential Walmart, grocery stores, a cpl of malls, etc). I would describe it as quiet as you could possibly ever hope for, yet social if you want it...as there are a few bars in the area, one right next door 50ft away! However, it really is more of a laidback place and in no way an oceanfront party place. The city has a real charm that my family and I have always enjoyed with the usual friendly Canadians and open spaces I love. The city is also built right on a cliffside and the drives around the area provide Malibu-esque views of the ocean and waterfront dining, shopping you name it!

Now as for the property...as of today's date you CAN NOT do better in this city, PERIOD!! I have also stayed in Vancouver proper at the Vancouver Hyatt, Four Seasons, a cpl of Sheratons including the well known Wall Centre, and the new Shangri La and Fairmont properties downtown and several other locations over 20 yrs of visiting the city, and I can tell you without a doubt, the rooms in this hotel are EVERY bit as comfortable and to be honest, more handsomely appointed than the hotel's I've just mentioned quite often. Do you get a fireplace, full size refrigerator, micro, stovetop, heated floors and all the soaps and products you could want in ANY of those well known hotels standard rooms?? No, but you do at this place! To be honest, if you can afford one of their front ocean facing suites (look at the hotel picture here and you'll know what I mean) DO IT!! They are simply to die for as they're the equivalent of a full size apartment (and I don't mean a studio type apartment... I mean one you could live in for months and apparently many movie stars have!) and a huge balcony (20 person balcony party anyone? lol) and most importantly they look out completely unobstructed onto the beautiful Pacific. Almost forgot...the tide goes out daily for about a mile leaving just the most gorgeous sandy beach and pools to wallow in (as the lil one's in my family can't get enough of) and just stroll through. On my summer visits I've seen a lot of people with various boards and sail equipment enjoying the beatiful beach...just breathtakingly lovely (again, look at the pics here and you'll know what I mean).

Back to the suites...YES, there are varying rooms at this hotel (already told you my favourites) but other than the fifteen or 20 or so suites that are at the back of the hotel, they really do ALL have ocean views and they are all extremely well appointed regardless! As for the comments about "looking out on another suite"...oh my the horror! lol. It's a hotel people!! They try to maximize their space and your going to have to get used to the fact other's might be staying in close proximity lol. I've stayed in the side balcony rooms as well, and to be honest, no idea what the issue is! You come out on your huge balcony, stare at the ocean...and if you look down or sideways, you will see another balcony and OMG, maybe even a human on it! Is that really ANY different than any place in the world with a balcony? (*note, if you want more privacy...YUP, get the main front facing suites which even have hottubs in the room that are smartly situated right up against the windows looking out on the ocean!! Again, look at the pics here). How people can't see that the balconies are so when they're pics of the property all over the place on the internet is just plain nonsense again. If you know enough to come to TA, then you should know how to google and see pics of the property!

I just have to repeat for those of you who might have listened to any of the griping, the rooms are really really well appointed and unless you live in a penthouse in a really nice new building or have left a mansion to come here, you will be extremely happy. I consider myself a travel snob (as I like really nice places) and I've always been satisfied with this place and my guests during my stay are always wowed by it (YUP...get the front suite!!).

As for staff...all I can say is there are always going to be people who are friendlier than others at front desks, that's a given! I find that people who complain are often annoyed by those with accents unfamiliar to them (the world doesn't revolve around perfect English people!! *you'll see people here complained about the "German" lady or whatever it may be) or mannerisms that are foreign. Again, it's a boutique hotel so night staff really was just one male attendee during my stays and in the day there were a couple of extremely helpful girls (sure looked like sisters?) and a couple of males who were ALL excellent! The hotel mgr even came out to talk to my family on several occasions having heard us tell the front staff we were from the UK, which ended up being his ancestral home...very hospitable! Our check-in was efficient, we were told how to travel to the city and any question we had about local attractions and dining was always answered and if they didn't know, they found it and called us or had the info for us next time we wandered through the lobby. Not to mention, and for you single people the staff was very attractive (especially those sisters who my wife found so adorable!). If I recall correctly one of the girls was Sharon and if you're having ANY problems with your stay, I recommend you see her or the mgr and I know you'll be happy you did!

Well, I think that about covers it all (at least what I'd want to know). Anything I might have missed feel free to msg me here and I'll see what I can recall. But overall people, this should really be one of the easiest reservations you EVER make, and I really think finding your hotel free's up so much energy to concentrate on the real parts of a vacation which I hope you enjoy!

Room Tip: I think I've drilled it in your head by now but if you can afford it make sure you book one of the front facing apartment suites on any floor!! Simply as good as it gets!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank jetguy10
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Despite the less than glowing reviews on TA about this property, we decided to stay there one night as hotels in White Rock are scarce.
Our room with two queens was clean with contemporary furnishings and tastefully decorated but with the odd configuration of the window opening onto the balcony of the adjacent room (which was not occupied so not an issue). Parking is indoors and convenient for small cars but accommodating large SUV's or pick-ups would be difficult. Despite a noisy party in the boardroom on the night we stayed, all we heard was the occasional train passing by in front of the hotel.
Just like the other reviewers have mentioned, the front desk staff were curt and more or less indifferent to their guests. The WI-FI did not work at first but the woman at the desk seemed liked she could care less. The housekeeping staff though were very polite and friendly and let up take a look at one of the suites while it was being cleaned.
The hotel's redeeming feature is it's location - you can't beat it for immediate access to the beach and Marine Drive. If you want the location, give this property a try but be forewarned.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the adjacent room's balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 2eratics
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We booked a 2 queen bed room and were pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and spacious. We were able to see the ocean from our room, albeit our window was corner facing, so we also saw a number of condominiums as well.

The only downside to this hotel is the layout. Upon entering our suite, there was a small hallway with two doors - one going to our room and the other to one of the suites. Our window was also that person's balcony. Fortunately for us, we never ran into our neighbours and it rained the majority of the time we were there, so we did not see them go out on the balcony. It would have been a wee bit awkward had they been out there.

The other downside is that there is no restaurant or complimentary breakfast in the hotel, however, the restaurant next door makes a mean clubhouse sandwich, so we didn't mind so much. The location of this hotel is great, there are so many different restaurants on Marine drive, and they were all easy to walk to.

Since hotels down here are few and far between, I think this place would be your best bet.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Don't be fooled by the location of this Hotel. I've never had such rudeness and inability to provide even basic service from any hotel or even any service oriented business ever! Luba was the rudest hotel staff I've ever come across. My experience starts with a personal visit to them, having driven over an hour from my home. I dropped in to view the rooms and ask for rates of the two rooms I viewed. The one I liked, the 1 bdrm Oceanfront Jacuzzi suite, for a 1 night stay I was told would cost $269.00 (same as that same rooms rate on their web site) I called back the next day to book and while Francis at first wanted to charge me a lot more, he said he would honor the rate but then said he couldn't help me book it at that moment as someone came up to his desk and so instead of finishing my request, he said he had to go and would call me back. I asked him to hold the room for me and he said he would (since he chose not do it at that time) Well, he never did call me back! I called the next day and the new front desk staff, Luba, couldn't find the 'hold' in their computer system and so she said she wouldn't honor it. I asked her to talk to Francis to confirm the rate and hold and Luba said "No, that's irrelevant", and then she proceeded to say she could do $299.00 but nothing less. She put me on hold 4 x's during that small conversation (without asking) and then she said "I can't help you right now bye bye" and then hung up on me! Can you believe it! I've never! So I decided to call her back and heard the phone get picked up but immediately switched to hold. I put it on speaker and proceeded to hold longer then it took me to write this review. After looking online I can see they have many bad reviews and most likely 'deleted' all reviews they've gotten on facebook since there's nothing on their besides their own posts. As a citizen of two countries, a world traveler, a professional my own service oriented business I have NEVER in my travels, encountered such unprofessional and rude staff ANYWHERE. - visit www.tripadvisor.ca if you don't believe me!

Room Tip: NOTHING, don't stay there.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Michele C
Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

This place was okay but there were some issues.

I've posted pictures of stains on the floor and people's clothing left in the room.

We called and got an ocean view room which was nothing more then a window tucked in the corner of the room and not what you will see advertised on the website.

Be advised, if you're ordering a king room for $129 on their website or hotels.com it is not an Ocean view room. I'm glad we called and figured that out.

The room was a bit musty or smokey, I'm not quite sure. The excercise room equipment is broken (bike/treadmill)

The shower, at least in our room was very sub par. (weak pressure and poor stream)

Outside noise is loud at night with youth, but not the hotels fault. They are beside a bar. There is a train a well but that's more charming in my opinion.

The view is nice, the low tide is great to see.

The bed was comfy and clean and a very nice sized fridge in the room.

I would not return, however some of the more expensive suites look fantastic an I'm sure they are.

Lastly, the website boasts a fireplace in each room. Ours did not.

• Stayed: June 2012