“Guaranteed not to last!”
Review of Tancha Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tancha Restaurant
Cuisines: Russian, Ukrainian
“Guaranteed not to last!”
Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

In today's health conscious atmosphere, who in their right mind would open a place that basically serves heavy, fatty foods?

I am Romanian and grew up with this food. It was not bad, but very tasteless; perogies and cabbage rolls were bland. Sausage (kolbasa) was good and had nice texture. Sides (shredded beet, cole slaw & ???) were uninspiring and, for the most part, remained uneaten by all at our table.

Best of everything was the side plate of fried onions and bacon - yummy on the perogies. But this was $4 added onto the already stupidly high price of $23 for the 'Ukrainian Plate' .... $27 for what I get elsewhere for $15 - 16. This guy should be wearing a mask!

The starter we had was 'Little Sandwiches' Some smoked salmon on crusts, a few slices of Salami, some cheap fish eggs in crust (1 miniscule serving), 1 piece of store bought pickled hearing and 6 laughably sized bits of white cheese. ...... Yea, it pretty much sucked for $9 or $10!

If it wasn't sad it would be funny!
They microwave dinner rolls (sorry, only 1 each) and when they arrive they are too hot to touch, then after a few minutes turn hard as a rock. .... Could it be stale buns??

The other food we had held a similiar scenerio - mostly store bought, average to bland taste and not worth ordering.

Server was unknowledgable and not very fast although friendly enough.

Can't say the owner impressed me, nor did the atmosphere.

We went to try it for 2 reasons:
1. Because we really like fatty, heavy Ukrainian food, and
2. Because we know this place will most likely not last.

After our visit I am sure of it!

• Visited June 2013

Langley City, Canada
“Yet another birthday lunch”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

It was a bright and beautiful day in White Rock and so we were able to eat on the patio on this restaurant. The food brought back all my childhood memories of my mother's cooking. I am of Russian background. The owners name is Vladimir.
My husband and I started with a Caesar and then began our meal with a small platter of "zakuski" (appetizers in Russian) which consisted of a little bit of cheese, some slices of very delicious Italian salami, herring, and black bread with cream cheese and caviar and all we needed was an iced shot of Vodka (a la Russe). I opted for the pan fried sturgeon served with deliciously prepared vegetables - a few pieces of asparagus, carrots, small potatoes and my husband had the pork schnitzel which was served with red cabbage, and few other vegetables. Neither of the dishes came piled high on the plate and was just enough to sate the hunger. For dessert, we both had "Napoleon" which is something my grandmother used to make for my birthday parties at home. It is a layered concoction of phyllo pastry spread with pastry cream in the layers and then a sweet crumb topping. As we were leaving Vladimir having learned from my husband it was my birthday, he treated us to a really smooth shot of Vodka - something you cannot find here.
I would definitely call this a fine restaurant and would certainly go again and recommend it to anyone wanting a very fine meal.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Nina D
“Loved Tracy cakes, but it is no longer... :(”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I have always throughly enjoyed Tracy cakes, planned to go there for lunch today and it is no longer open. Looks like a new place is opening up in this location. I wish the new business well, but Tracy cakes will definitely be missed!!!

• Visited May 2013
White Rock, Canada
“Great tea location”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Excellent location on the White Rock waterfront. Very good coffee as well as tea and cupcakes. Service was efficient and friendly.

Visited July 2012
Bedford, Canada
“Nice spot for lunch on the beach”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stopped into Tracycakes on White Rock beach for a quick lunch on a sunny September afternoon. We both had panini's with a salad which were very tasty, although a bit messy to eat. The service was very good and our server quite helpful.

We noticed a few tables having a "high tea" service which looked quite nice. They serve a wide variety of cupcakes and other sweet treats so save room for dessert!

• Visited September 2012