“Response to management comments”
Review of Five Corners Bistro - CLOSED

Five Corners Bistro
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Five Corners Bistro; a casual restaurant in White Rock's Five Corners neighbourhood. Serving "West-Coast-style cuisine" We’re a family-run restaurant that takes pride in serving our local and out-of-town guests alike. ... a place where patrons can relax with good food, friends and business associates in elegant, yet casual surroundings. Always striving to offer the freshest menu possible, we offer locally-grown produce and many BC-produced menu items. Join us for "Jazz Lounge Wednesdays" with a great live jazz duo, or Live music weekends. Our goal is to ensure a memorable evening out in a restaurant that suits your tastes in food, wine and surroundings.
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

We happened to take a look at the trip advisor site to see if there were any new reviews and was surprised to see the owner had responded to our comments following our April 2012 visit. Glad to see he is reading the reviews, but while we appreciated they didn't charge for the meal, we still spent over 2 hours in the restaurant and paid for the wine. The gift certificate was a nice gesture, but as this was not the first bad experience we had at this restaurant, it is unlikely we will return to use the certificate. We certainly wouldn't give the cert. to charity in light of our experiences.

We are obviously not alone in our comments about this restaurant. Take a look at other restaurant review sites. A couple of friends told us they had visited the restaurant recently and had a very bad experience. They were served burned potatoes and dried out fish and a pasta dish missing key ingredients and when they returned the meals they waited another hour to get much the same serving.

Clearly a new chef who knows how to cook would help this restaurant improve and a hands on owner might help with the quality assurance. Way back when we first used to go to the restaurant we enjoyed the food. The Coq Au Vin was wonderful and the seafood pasta was great. Sadly the Coq Au Vin isn't on the menu anymore and the seafood pasta can't be relied upon.

RiceH, Owner at Five Corners Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello Northern Poet.
TWO bad reviews from the same person.. Interesting, not sure what to make of that.
Again, I apologize for your experience. I am serious about a bad review, and always try to do all I can to look after my valued guests properly in light of problems, mistakes etc. (and btw, yes they DO happen in other restaurants with MUCH higher pricing than our comparatively moderately-priced menu you see, I DO look at my competitors' reviews)
However, I try to keep light of the fact that a great majority of people who come into my restaurant have a lovely time and do come back. Generally it's not these people who write the reviews, more people like yourself who have had a bad experience and are compelled to write about it in an open forum such as this instead of complaining directly to me and allowing me to deal with you personally. So it goes. People are funny that way.

Anyway, I have a new chef that I'm very pleased with, he's mature creative, confident, organized and productive, and am looking forward to a very good relationship.

In closing. I'm sorry to lose you as a customer, but I think it may be for the best for both of us.

Good Day Sir.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great food, good service in a casual bistro atmosphere.

1  Thank gregnosaty
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We enjoyed a very relaxing dinner with attentive service and tasty food. The goat cheese appetizer was excellent, the seafood crepe overflowing with filling and the salmon was cooked to perfection. Pricing was in line with the quality and type of eatery.

1  Thank Denis D
Reviewed May 27, 2012

This was probably the worse food ever in White Rock if this is what they have to offer well
I will go back to eating closer to the beach, the salad was average but had some taste just
OK needs to be more summer like but then we waited for a long time for our meal, and OMG it
went way down hill from there, it was horrible for real the potato's didn't even have salt pepper
garlic it was blahhhhh they tasted old not fresh, the carrots were still raw but tasted like straight up oil with burnt garlic
yucky, the green beans they were part cooked at best no flavor, but worse part was the over cooked meat it was burnt and over cooked with NO FLAVOR I am kinda wondering if this person cooking the food is tasting what he is cooking, I think in future I will choose another place to eat dinner, if they can improve the quality of their food it could make a huge difference for sure but for me I wont come back again, Sorry I wasted money!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do have to say on a positive the Service was excellent too bad the food really sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I invited 18 of our clients to an evening at five corners bistro last night, Tuesday. We had a blast. Rice, his wife and two grown children are the owners of the place and they were wonderful hosts. My clients thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere of the restaurant, the wonderful food and wine. As an added bonus Rice sang and played his guitar for us. He was really good and the clients loved it. Certainly I would highly recommend the place for a lovely dinner. Eric Muir, National Bank Financial