“Very Good Food and Service”

Washington Avenue Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Washington Avenue Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 149 Restaurants in White Rock
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Keil
Reviewed October 27, 2013

This was a great place to eat, I am sure it has a nice view but very foggy the night we ate here. The service was very friendly and prompt. I had the flank steak with prawns and the food tasted great and cooked as I requested. I would have rated it the highest but they had a live band playing and it was quite loud and made it difficult to talk business with the guests I was with that night. Overall I would come back when in the area again.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

After living nearby for a few years we finally made it to the Washington Avenue Grill, and now that we have experienced it we will definitely be going back. We loved the casual, rustic/elegant ambience and the ocean views through the walls of window. Service was great and, in response to a review from about 6 weeks ago, they did have a full-time bartender on the Wednesday night we were there. Both my wife and I had absolutely no complaints about the food: it was simply great. It had been a couple decades since I had had a steak smothered in crab and shrimp Bernaise, and it was fabulous. The steak was a perfectly cooked medium rare (still red in the middle) and as tasty and juicy as can be. Our server was efficient and knowledgeable and possessed the knack of fitting in with our mood and sense of humour. Two excellent steak dinners and a $43 bottle of wine brought the total (including taxes) to just over a hundred dollars, which we both felt was quite reasonable for the dining experience. Highly recommended!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We always go early to get seated by the window and beat the rush! Fall and winter is great as beach area not busy and can get the sunset with an early dinner. (can get hot in the summer but they have an open area in the rear.)
Service is always great and we appreciate the freshly baked breads. Love the fish.

Climbing the stairs is a bit much for us older folks with trick knees, but worth the effort.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I love the atmosphere here. In nice weather with the windows open, it feels so close to the ocean, like having dinner on a breezy covered outdoor patio. There's a great selection of seafood dishes and light, healthy, flavourful dishes, and also a really good lamb shank. The restaurant is upstairs, but I don't recall an elevator. The decor, including the bathrooms is eclectic and funky. Last time my husband and I were there, we parked on the street in front, and were looking around for the pay machine. An employee who I took to be the manager walked by and directed us to a free parking spot in the lot that we hadn't noticed. I feel relaxed here, and it always feels like a special occasion.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My original restaurant choice was not available so I picked this one to use the Entertainment book coupons. This is my second time to this restaurant. The last time over a year ago.

I phoned around lunchtime and my call was sent to voicemail that stated I could make a reservation online. The online reservation system was easy.

The four of us arrived at 6:00 for a 6:15 PM reservation. There is parking in front and to the side of the restaurant.

There are no elevators in this old building. There are 2 flights of stairs with each flight having maybe 15 steps each. So, if you have people in your party with mobility issues due to age etc. it may be a problem.

We were promptly seated. The restaurant was more than ¾ full when we left after dinner.
We received our water promptly. The complimentary warm focaccia bread came with olive oil and balsamic vinegar dip. It arrived a little later. Not a big deal, but I did wonder why it took so long after we received it. The second time, when we asked for a refill on the bread, the busboy told us we had to wait because the bread was being warmed up.

We ordered a bottle of red wine ($39), 1 Stanley Park amber ale ($6.75) and a pina colada ($5.99). Our lady friend order a certain brand of red wine but only to be told later that the particular brand was not available, so she asked for an Italian red. When I checked the bill at the end of the meal, the server had charged us for the out of stock bottle and not the Italian red. When the server was notified, we were told the Italian red was $1 more but not to worry as she wasn’t going to change the bill.

The pina colada arrived and I had a quick look because it was clear and not milky looking. I stirred the drink to see if anything would happen to the look of the drink. Normally, it would contain rum, coconut milk and pineapple juice. I had a taste and it didn’t taste right. The server was notified and it was quickly rectified. The bartender did not put in any coconut milk! The server told us she supervised the making of the second drink and even had a taste herself (not a taste from my drink!).

We ordered 4 main courses and 3 appetizers to share.
• Tandori coconut chicken skewers with mango chutney (5) - $9.99
• Beef tenderloin carpacio with greens - $9.99
• Steamed mussels in red wine broth - $13.99 - online menu show white wine sauce
• 2 specials – miso infused(?) halibut with a pineapple compote and 2 prawns ($29.99)
• Sesame seed crusted ahi tuna – medium rare with wasabi soy sauce ($24.99)
• Cajun crusted snapper with 3 prawns and citrus dill yogurt ($20.99)

All meals came with some squash, green beans and jasmine rice.

The other daily special was a 10-12 ounce flat iron steak for $29.99.

The appetizers were okay. Nothing really to complain about. Didn’t really notice the mango chutney as it had blended into the sauce.
The mussels were okay; taste wise I have had better.
Beef carpacio was thinly sliced; so thin it had only one side! Just an observation not a complaint.

The people that ordered the halibut said that it was perfectly cooked. The jasmine rice was a bit salty.

The ahi tuna was perfectly cooked.

The cajun snapper was also perfectly cooked as were the green beans.

We were all full but still ordered the peanut butter pie and tiramisu (to share) for takeout. We had the dessert back at the house. Desserts were okay.

The appetizers and main courses arrived in a timely manner.
The portion sizes were good. Our friends who are in the restaurant business commented the prices were good as was the dinner.

The lady server was nice and fairly prompt with the service.
Our water glasses were filled promptly most of the time.

The total cost of the meal after the use of 2 Entertainment coupons (max. $16.00 off per entree) including taxes was $187.40.

This was definitely an excellent second choice. I would rate it a solid 3.75 out of 5. Probably 4 out of 5 if not for the mistake with the cocktail.

Notes & Tips
It’s an wood frame building that has a lot of history and is close to the beach.
The Amtrak train runs past the restaurant a couple of hundred yards away. The train was passing as we were having dinner, but we could’t hear any noise from the train.

The restaurant has week day specials which you can check out on their website. There is a very small stage for live entertainment on weekdays.

I read somewhere the attire was business casual but I saw people walk in with shorts and jeans. Also, there were a few children in the restaurant.

My original restaurant choice was Cielos Restaurant in White Rock as well, but when I phone around 11:30 the restaurant was booked solid until 8:45. The early bird option was 4:45 PM. Person on the phone recommended I phone as soon as possible as bookings start to fill up from the middle of the week. Next time!

2  Thank Bottomshelfhockey