“It was better than I feared”

Hy's Steakhouse Whistler
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steakhouse Whistler is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 195 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Northlands Blvd.
Description: Hy's has been Canada's premier steakhouse for over 50 years. This stunning location in the beautiful resort town of Whistler features Canadian Prime beef, an award-winning wine list and exceptional service in a warm contemporary atmosphere. As Whistler's only true steakhouse, we guarantee every guest a memorable experience.
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I'm not usually a fan of chain steakhouses. I've been to Hy's in Otttawa before so had a view what to expect.

Once I found my way in (it could be better signposted), I was offered my reserved table or the bar. I took the bar as it was lighter and I planned to read (I was a single diner).

The barman has the right balance of interest and getting his job done. He recommended some wines which were all excellent.

My starter of French onion soup was pretty dire. Too much toast and cheese and not enough soup.

the steak however was absolutely perfect. I had the 16 oz bone in rib eye. it was done perfectly and was not too much meat - just right. The barman had recommended a half size of vegetables and that was just enough for one person.

Dessert was a pretty average cheesecake.

Overall, then, this was much better than I expected, but I had low expectations. Pricing was steep, but that is what I expect in these types of steakhouses.

Reviewed December 25, 2010

Great service, great food....what more can I say? Compared to the other restaurants in Whistler, Hy's is the place to be. It's not cheap but you pay for what you get! Excellent all around....highly recommend!

Reviewed November 14, 2010

Geat food. Very nice atmosphere. Would recommend.

Reviewed February 23, 2010

I read the reviews before I made reservations and was still unsure about Hy's Steakhouse despite friends raving about it. Seems like a lot of mixed reviews for #7 of all of the restaurants in Whistler. My concerns were justified.

We arrived early for our scheduled reservation and were seated promptly. The waiter (G) told us he was expecting a big party of guests in about 20 minutes so I mentioned we would try and order quickly; we were ready in 3-4 minutes but it was 20 minutes before he took our order despite him walking past our table and seeing that our menus were closed.

The French onion soup ordered as an appetizer was OK. Enjoyed the escargot. When we finished the bread additional bread was not offered; the bread (cheese toast was too salty). We all had steak of varying types...most of us gave our steaks an 8 of 10 rating though one in our party commented that the prime rib had too much fat and he'd had better in other restaurants for half the price.

Vegetables as they terms it are extra (ie. salad, corn etc.)...received garlic mashed potatoes with the entree which were cold and bland. Seems like a small salad should be provided for the prices they charge. Also saw the size of the salad others ordered and it's extremely small for the price. Saw both my appetizer (soup) and entrees (steaks, etc.) sitting several minutes before being served. Extremely slow time to re-fill glasses with water and waiter rarely asking those in my party for refills on their cocktails though empty glasses were picked up...seemed unusual that he wouldn't ask if you wanted another. Also observed wait/cook staff eating (not sampling) the food...very tacky. Glass partitions separating customers tables had numerous fingerprints. May be nit picking but it's not Denny's; it's attempting to be a classy restaurant and it's not.

Overall, the steaks are fair to good, meals are overpriced, service from staff assisting waiters is fair-good but the wait staff can be rude and that can ruin the whole meal. As others have commented, it is noisy and dark and our waiter acted as if he was above us. I realized why at the END of our meal as the waiter didn't have to work for a good tip. He notified us at the END when he presented our bill that we would be charged an 18% tip during the Olympics; wouldn't have mattered...would have tipped fairly no matter but it would be nice to be notified in advance. It's not worth $ 50-$ 80 a meal. I've eaten as good in other restaurants for 50%-60% of the price...you can do a lot better in Whistler.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We go to Hy’s every time we’re in Whistler. Great food, great service and a nice short walk from the condo.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook