“Cold or not cold”

Longhorn Saloon & Grill
Ranked #45 of 188 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Bar, American, Grill, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Longhorn Saloon has been the place to après since opening day in 1981. Located steps away from the bottom of Whistler Mountain it's at the heart of the action. Whatever the reason, celebrate on the patio with a beer, bulldog or bottle of champagne!
canada
“Cold or not cold”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

Place was pretty business but half the time the beer was cold and the other half the time it wasn't. There was a pasta/carb buffet happening for all the Tough Mudders. It was ok but nothing to brag about. The party atmosphere was the best.

Visited June 2014
Ben M, General Manager at Longhorn Saloon & Grill, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Rosieakalynn,

Thanks for providing us with your review of your visit for Tough Mudder! This was the first time we've worked with Tough Mudder in this capacity, and we learned a lot about how we can improve our offering for next year! In fact, with all the renovation work we've recently undertaken, we've begun reviewing our entire menu and I am delighted to announce a number of delicious new features, including a summer menu and a Dinner Bites menu. Next time you're in Whistler, please do drop by and ask for me, as I would love to showcase these new items to you. Along with our renovation work, we're putting a lot of effort into redesigning our menus and increasing the quality of our food and it would mean a lot to me to hear your thoughts!

Thank you again, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kelowna, Canada
“Nice and quiet...that night anyway.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

Big place and empty on the last week of June 2014. The deck was under construction but will be awesome when it's done...right at the base of the mountain.

My ears were still ringing and my voice was hoarse from yelling conversation at the Amsterdam Pub. I think everyone goes through the loud yellers bar age at around 19-23. If you still like those kinds of places after that...grow up. It was refreshing to walk into the Longhorn. Beer was cold and I was stuffed with grease from the Amsterdam. Too bad. I'd have liked to have started here.

Visited June 2014
Ben M, General Manager at Longhorn Saloon & Grill, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear geoqwest,

Thank you for leaving us your thoughts about The Longhorn Saloon! Our patio renovation project is one of the largest renovation projects we've ever undertaken, and I am very excited for it to be fully open again soon. I would love to personally invite you back to check it out when it is complete, as not only are we improving the look of our business, but also entirely re-designing our menu and service to be at a level we are truly proud of. Please don't hesitate to drop by and ask for me when you are in Whistler next, and I would be delighted to show you our new product.

Ben Monkhouse
“Good Service and Fair Pricing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

A well run bottom of piste bar. Premium location. Just popped in for beer and a snack. Everything just as it should be. Staff efficient and professional but still personable and they clearly work as a team. 4 large drinks and a sharing chips and dips 34 cdn. Fair enough.

Dear whoamiwhereami,

Thank you for leaving us your comments about The Longhorn Saloon. I am proud to say that we're going to great lengths right now to improve our quality of food, drinks, and service, and I'm very glad to hear your experience was a good one. Our latest improvement has been to launch an entirely new 'Dinner Bites' menu, which I would love to invite you back to try out next time you are in Whistler. All steps in the right direction, I believe!

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Victoria, Canada
“The place to quaff an apres-ski beverage.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is THE place to unbuckle your boots at the end of a great day of skiing [winter] or whett your whistle at the end of a dusty day on the DH bike trails.

Visited April 2014
Vancouver, BC
“Patio Closed, Overcharged”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

We were in Whistler over the May long weekend. The Longhorn has always been our place to have a leisurely lunch and a special coffee or hot chocolate when we're in Whistler. We were disappointed to see the patio was closed for massive renovations, but it will be amazing once it's done. It's always been the best place to hang out and watch the skiers or bikers coming down the mountain.

On Friday night we went in for a few drinks, at ten o'clock there were fewer than twenty patrons in the room. The staff to customer ration was 1:2, and service was still not up to par. Nothing was happening, we had our drink and left.

On Sunday night, our last night in town, we decided to give it another try, we went back to the Longhorn for nachos and a couple drinks. Again, it was pretty quiet, there was one table of youngsters that were having a good time, but only about six other tables were occupied. We ordered the nachos, my friend had a two margaritas and I had two Mexican Bulldogs (margarita/coronas). The service was MUCH better this time, very pleasant and attentive, even offered to move us when the youngsters got a bit loud and rowdy. The nachos were really good, lots of cheese and toppings, and the salsa was fresh, not out of a jar. However, when we got our bill it was $139 for a plate of nachos and four drinks. Even for Whistler this is out of line.

A couple suggestions for management, you've got plywood on the walls and the room is three quarters empty, you shouldn't be overcharging. And maybe think about a cocktail menu, not everyone drinks beer or likes tequila.

Visited May 2014
Dear mitchipoo,

Thanks so much for leaving us your comments regarding your trip here in May, and I'm very sorry to hear your experience wasn't a good one. As the new General Manager here, I am very excited by the biggest renovation project we've ever undertaken, but it has meant that business has been somewhat unusual lately. I am proud to say that our beautiful plywood facade has been removed, and we now have light and bright floor-to-ceiling doors and windows which have truly transformed the venue.

I noticed that you are from the Vancouver area and stop by The Longhorn often, and I would love to personally invite you back in next time you are in Whistler to provide you with the experience that we pride ourselves on. Not only is the venue physically changing, but we are going to great lengths to improve our service, our food, our drinks, and our overall experience. Please do ask for me next time you are around, and I would be delighted to show you everything we've achieved so far, and talk to you about everything else we have in store. Nothing but good things on the horizon I believe!

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you next time you're here in Whistler!