“First Impressions count and this one did not impress!!”
Review of Il Caminetto

Il Caminetto
Ranked #35 of 189 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Scheduled to reopen on November 1, 2017. We are currently closed for renovations as we prepare to join our new family of restaurants under the Toptable Group. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
“First Impressions count and this one did not impress!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

On arrival to the restaurant we asked for a table for 2, the girls on the front desk could not even manage a smile and mumbled something about checking to see if a table was available and walked off into the restaurant area we were not asked whether we wanted to be seated in the restaurant or the bar. When the girl returned she gave a glare to the other girl and we were promptly carted off to the bar area and plonked at a table that can only be described as the worst table in the bar. It was mid week and the bar area was not busy and when we had walked past the restaurant window there were plenty of tables free, it felt like you went left if you looked the part and right for the poor people. Other diners that arrived after us were directed straight to the restaurant and by the time we left there were still empty tables in this area. They did not offer to take our coats despite everyone else being offered this when they arrived. We were not impressed at all and were on the verge of walking out, first impressions count and this place got off to a very bad start!
Fortunately the waitress we were assigned was very pleasant and warming (the girls on the front desk could learn alot from her!) and when we asked if we could move to a different table in the bar area this was not a problem (there were only 2 other tables occupied so we pretty much had the choice of the bar area). The waitress was very imformative and made us feel alot more relaxed. I ordered the Gorgonzola Souffle which was very average however my partner ordered the Ragu and polenta which was very nice. My next dish was the veal and spagetti which was a bit watery and would not set the world on fire. For the price of the dishes I was dissappointed.
Had it not been for the lovely waitress I would have given this restaurant 1-2 stars, for the amount of money you are spending there are plenty of better restaurants to go to in Whistler and we certainly would not go back to this restaurant.
Someone should investigate and teach the hostess girls something about service and manners towards a paying customer.

• Visited February 2014

“Amazing”
Reviewed February 13, 2014 via mobile

Best Italian food I have had since leaving Italy. Very nice setting and very good service. Spendy but we'll worth the price.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“"Possibly the Best Pasta I've Ever Had"”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

With so many interesting options on the menu, as usual, it became rather difficult for me decide. Started with the Fois Gras, partook in my friends Oyster Soup, ordered the Lasagna for myself as it is layered with béchamel, partook in another friends Monkfish, and of course when I heard my other friend say that it was quite possibly the best pasta he had ever had, I had to have a taste of the spelt as well, as you know no dinner is complete without a cappuccino and a lemon tarte.
One word....GO!

• Visited February 2014
Vancouver
“Exceptionally good!!!”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Service and food was exceptional!!! Worth making reservation to ensure you can enjoy this great restaurant.

Visited January 2014
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Return visit didn't disappoint ”
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

We ate here on our first visit to whistler 4 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it so were keen to return.

After being served the worst pasta dish ever at the old spaghetti factory I was craving the taste of real basil and umbertos didn't disappoint.

The food, like our last visit was lovely. Service was attentive but not overly so, great wine, breads and entertainment from the pianist. I'm a particularly fussy eater but requests to change items on the menu was no trouble. Shame we go home tomorrow as I'd be tempted to go back again.