“High end dining experience lived up to hype” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bearfoot Bistro

Bearfoot Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Bearfoot Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 188 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Canadian, International
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Whistler Way
Transit: Whistler Village
Description: Every night is a celebration! Begin at the Champagne Bar, your crystal flute awaits chilling in a frozen ice rail set in a pewter bar. Founder André Saint-Jacques is the convivial master of ceremonies who presides over the lively ambience of this award-winning dining room, Best Whistler Restaurant in 2009 and the only Whistler restaurant to receive a coveted three-star rating from the anonymously conducted Where to Eat in Canada guide for 2010/2011. Andre’s passion for wine is clear as you descend and tour the Bearfoot’s extravagant underground wine cellar. However, its executive chef Melissa Craig’s Modern Canadian cuisine that will leave you dazzled. In 2008, Melissa was crowned “Canada’s Best Chef” at the Canadian Culinary Championships. Her passion leads her to the freshest local and finest international ingredients to create an unforgettable experience.
Halifax, Canada
“High end dining experience lived up to hype”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

My husband and I have been to Whistler many times and always enjoy dining at Araxi. However we had never been to Bearfoot Bistro so were pleased to be invited by another couple to dine with them there on the last night of our recent visit.

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted in a friendly, solicitous manner and prepared to enjoy an evening of wining and dining with attentive, knowledgeable staff. We were not disappointed. Everything from the delicious house specialty pre-dinner drinks, to the oysters with white wine as suggested by the Sommelier, followed by a tasty three course meal with more wine chosen by the Sommelier, to dessert, was all delicious.

This restaurant and experience was exactly as advertised and as I had anticipated...."over the top"; decadent; expensive and ....totally enjoyable!! I look forward to making a return visit.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Seattle, Washington
“Pretentious place, outlandish bill, unjustifiable expense.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Make no mistakes, we do spend money out at restaurants for great food and wine. Regularly actually, without remorse, and certainly on a special occasion.

We went the week between Christmas and New Years when the menu and its associated prices are in their full glory. 3 courses (appetizer, main and dessert) for $99 or so per person. Which under the circumstances and if the food was over the top I could have lived with but then come the add-ons at every turn. Four adults and one young child. Grand total was a $840 (wine bottle was $70 range).

The grand total was outlandish. The food did not back up the price tag. It simply was not in the same league as the amazing chef's and the fantastic restaurants we have locally in Seattle where the meal is an eye closing taste sensation and atmosphere and wait staff put the evening over the top! Our party of four and a half could have easily dined at three of those restaurants and the combined total of all three would not have exceeded $840.

Regarding portion size. My ribeye was an adequate size but my 6'3" husband and his two pieces of venison the size of half dollars each, there is just no way he was satiated after a full day of skiing. We are familiar with European portions as my husband lived abroad for several years and my family owns a home in Italy where we spend several months each summer. The Venison is not a European portion. In Europe you do leave feeling satiated and fed.

I walked out wondering how this restaurant pulls this off. Reading the reviews it looks as though the menu prices flux depending on season and are often cut in half to bring people in.

A comment on the mandatory charity donation if you are still reading. We support a half a dozen charities every year with substantial donations. I think it is poor form for a restaurant to collect the money from it's patrons for a charity they wish to sponsor. A more appropriate route would be to inform the guest that for each guest THE RESTAURANT WILL DONATE $6 to such and such charity instead of forcing the donation on the guest.

Later this month we are jet-set to Costa Rica where two of our plane tickets combined are just a tad over this one dinner bill. Hard to believe...

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank smanet
Calgary
“FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Last year my husband and I visited this restaurant and were completely dissatisfied with the service, our waiter was arrogant, rude and stunk of stale cigarette smoke. Contrary to our better judgment and because we did find the meal tasty, we thought we would try the restaurant again this year. WELL, are we sure glad we did, the experience that we had at the Bistro last night, was one that I will rave about for the next year to come! We had the five course meal, wine pairings, vodka tasting and to top it off Champaign in the wine cellar. Our server Danielle was top notch, sociable and knowledgeable. The young gentleman that took us to the wine cellar for Champaign followed by his incredible ice-cream making production couldn’t go un-complimented. The food, unreal, a meal that awakens ever sense of your taste buds, the attention to detail the chef paid to my allergies was like I’ve never seen before. Kudos to the staff and chef… we will see you again soon! There are some pretentious servers, ignore them and ask for Danielle, you will not be disappointed on any level at this restaurant!

london
“Comical pretentiousness”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We went here as a couple for what was meant to be a lovely mid-ski trip meal. I feel a bit sad for the head chef as her food is indeed delicious but everything else about this restaurant is so cringingly pretentious that it can't be enjoyed. After being seated we were presented with 5 menus at once and a change of napkin colour, which set the tone for the evening. The menu is neither a la carte or prix fixe but an odd incomprehensible hybrid of both. The sommelier didn't introduce himself or actually help with wine selection.The starters were presented by a young waiter whose impressive resume of the dish was probably the highlight of the evening. By the end of the meal we were so desperate to leave, we left a third of a bottle of delicious Pinot noir behind undrunk. We spent around $300 on two courses and a bottle of wine, most probably the worst value and strangest dining experience of the trip. Avoid!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank undercoverstraveller
Lynden, Washington
“Vodka Room/saber bottles!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

We went here for my wife's birthday. We had an AMAZING time. The staff was one of the best we ever had. We sat at the bar, they were very nice & would chat with us frequently, which we love to hear about other towns & where people are from. We did the Vodka ice room, which was a great experience, & I would highly recommend. My wife also sabered a bottle, the look on her face was priceless!!!! (Thank u Chris). We then returned to the bar where they had saved our seats & had some great food. My wife tried oysters for the 1st time & she loved them.
A huge THANK YOU to the staff for making my wife's bday great!