“Enjoyable Lunch on a Sunny Day”
Review of La Bocca

La Bocca
Ranked #99 of 193 Restaurants in Whistler
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: La Bocca serves Italian cuisine in a sunny Mediterranean style setting with great wines and cocktails from BC, Italy and beyond. Situated in the heart of the Whistler Village Square, La Bocca enjoys the best location in town, right in the centre of it all. We have been locally owned and operated since 1986. Our dining room offers a Mediterranean setting, with private sections suitable for groups small and large. Our sought-after heated patio is open year round and offers a great chance to be part of the village atmosphere, with incredible views of the surrounding mountains. Serving pastas, pizzas, frittatas and sandwiches for brunch, and delicious Italian entrees for dinner, La Bocca is open seven days a week. We look forward to hosting you!
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Took lunch here after a walk out to and around Lost Lake. A warm, sunny day and the patio with umbrellas to shade you from the direct sun looked inviting. I have to say we decided to try it even though we had read a review from a TA contributor who really trashed the place. All I can say is we enjoyed sitting and people watching, while enjoying some decent ciders, sharing a plate of calamari and a salad with dried cranberries and goat cheese. All served with an efficient, friendly server. No complaints!

There are newer reviews for La Bocca

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Like many restaurants in this town, the prices are around twice what would usually be considered reasonable for the food served.

My wife is vegetarian and has found the poor selection throughout Whistler to be an issue, basically ending up with a choice of salad or salad for most meals. This particular restaurant offered few appetizing choices for the vegetarian but was happy to serve one of their dishes WITHOUT the salmon steak advertised on the menu.

We were very disappointed to find on requesting the bill that we had been charged in full for the dish, despite the main part of it being left off.

The staff serving said their hands were tied and nothing could be done. We wont be back as expect more than a couple of bowls of soup, a small salad and a small piece of grilled cheese for almost $50.

LaBocca, General Manager at La Bocca, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Hi Bordersbloke,
We are shocked to hear the manner in which this issue was addressed. Our standard is to always make sure we have done everything to satisfy the customer. Your server that day should have approached a manager immediately when the food request was made, and see what can be done with the cost of the dish.
The server remembers your table and informed me that your wife ate the West Coast cob salad that normally has house-smoked salmon on it. To be clear however, it is not a steak portion of salmon. Regardless, the server acted out of protocol when he informed you that his hands were tied and there was nothing that he could do. Normally we would look at offering an equal value of delicious grilled vegetables, or in place of that, discount the dish accordingly.
We have discussed this issue, and the server has been trained to be more compassionate to guest needs, as the guest is paying the bills. Please be assured that he will not let this happen again.
In regards to the pricing comment, we price our food according to the industry standard mark-up to be able to achieve the very low average BC restaurant margin of 5%. Our food in BC is unfortunately more expensive than it is in other areas of Canada, and being in a resort that is 2 hours drive from most of our suppliers, it is even more expensive. I can assure you that our food cost runs directly in line with what any full-service restaurant would expect to be, and we have minimal waste due to the high volumes that we do.
We would love to invite you back to experience a better vegetarian meal, that can be prepared specially for you by our chef. If you would like to PM me here, I would be happy to arrange everything. If you would prefer to call the restaurant and make a reservation, ask the staff on the phone if the chef can prepare a vegetarian meal special for your wife. We would be happy to accommodate.
Thanks for the review, and all the best in your travels!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Review title was my husbands suggestion, but pretty much sums up my opinion as well.

$45.30 (plus tip) got us one tea, an ice water, a bowl of potato chips, a hamburger with fries, a salad, and indifferent service at a sticky table in a somewhat rundown restaraunt.

My husband said he thinks his burger was beef, but didn't taste like it. It looked like a frozen Bubba Burger to me. It had that "stamped" look to it.

My $16 Dragon Boat salad was just awful. It was a massive pile of spinach, with gooey unappetizing goat cheese gobs, nuts, some candied fruit, a sliver or two of pineapple, and a mystery meat. I say mystery meat because I thought it was chicken, but it was just barely cooked, and looked flaky like fish. It looked as if it had been precooked and thrown on the grill for an instant before being placed on top of the spinach, heated just long enough to turn the goat cheese to glop. It was the most unpleasant salad I have ever eaten. Wendy's and Chik-fil-a both have a bang up salad on their menu for about $7. Send your chef for a lesson.

Terribly disappointed. Of all the choices in Whistler, this one was just a waste of both our finely honed appetites, and our money.

Avoid.

Hi springlering,
Thank you for choosing La Bocca for your meal, and I am very sorry that it was not to your liking.
We strive for the best in service, cleanliness and food and beverage quality, so it is disappointing to learn that your experience is otherwise.
Our Heritage Angus Beef Burgers are all natural, hormone free, antibiotic free, range fed beef. Ingredients: Beef, salt. They are juicy and delicious, and have no fillers so many people are not used to the 100% beef flavour.
We are very sorry that the salad was not to your liking, and it also sounds like it was not executed properly. It is a large entrée salad, as you mention it being a massive pile of spinach. For $16, we don’t want people to leave hungry. Then we add delicious, soft, chevre goat cheese, roasted hazelnuts, dates, and a spike of fresh pineapple. It is topped with chicken breast sourced from the Fraser Valley (the closest source for us year round). Since your comments on the execution of the chicken breast, we have since changed our methods of service – thank you for helping us! We now roast the breast of chicken entirely in the oven with our delicious homemade honey ginger glaze. The goat cheese is a soft cheese, and will melt a bit when the hot chicken is placed on the salad. This creates a wonderful creamy addition to the light dressing. I am not familiar with either Wendy’s or Chik-fil-a’s offerings, but I am sure they do a great job of a pre-packaged salad.
Again, we are sorry that you were disappointed in your meal. If you had brought this to the attention of your server or the manager, we would have been happy to address your concerns on the spot, and make sure that you left happy and satisfied. We don’t want even one customer to leave feeling as if they wasted their time or money, and bend over backwards to get it right when presented with a customer complaint. It is difficult for us to help you when we don’t hear about it until it is posted online. In addition having a nice little pet-name in the title is delightfully condescending, however I feel a little over the line of on-line reviewing.
We would love to invite you back anytime, for the opportunity to sample perhaps another one of our delicious entrée salads or sandwiches, on us. Please feel free to PM me to set a date up if you would be so kind as to give us another chance.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Delicious food with an ethical and sustainable focus, exactly the kind of place that should be supported in our beautiful town of Whistler - maintaining our natural resources and preserving our environment is so important and it's wonderful to see a local restaurant combining a passion for food/service with these values. Not to mention the excellent location perfect for people watching on the patio or a more intimate dining experience inside.
This was my second time to La Bocca, I had been here once before for brunch with my boyfriend and I highly recommend the Farmers Scramble - very tasty, well presented and filling.
Last night we had a staff outing to La Bocca where we had quite a large selection of the menu. We started off with cocktails, I ordered the Se-Juice Me which was deliciously light and fruity with the unique but subtle elderflower taste. For starters we had the Brie (which was absolutely wonderful - any local in Whistler knows that cheese is a luxury not easily affordable so this was a very special treat and completely reasonable in price. Shared between four it was a perfect size as it was very rich), the Wild Mushroom Ravioli (also delicious) and some duck drumsticks (I can't seem to find them on the menu). I didn't eat the duck personally but the other people I was with said it was very tasty.
Next was the hot smoked coho salmon, and the soba noodle bowl - both delicious especially the noodle bowl it was so light and refreshing while still being hearty. The main was the 8 oz "NY" striploin. I normally don't eat meat however when informed that it was ethically and sustainably produced there was nothing holding me back! The red wine demi glace with it was so delicious I mopped it all up with my bread. Dessert was three scoops of gelato, the raspberry was my favourite.
Overall a wonderful dinner with an attentive server. I will definitely be back.

Hi 1sttimeinCanada,
Thank you for choosing La Bocca for your dinner, and I am very happy that you enjoyed everything.
We have updated the online dinner menu that was previously out of date – so the Duck Drumettes are visible now (my mistake entirely).
Let us know if when you plan on returning by sending us a PM either here or on facebook.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Walking through the village we decided this looked like and interesting place and the menu looked good. Bad mistake ! The fact that it was the only restaurant with hardly any people should have been a sign. Still....worth a try. Ordered small plates to share....Mushroom Ravioli, Crab Cakes and Calamari. Ravioli.....cold as ice, little to no flavour. Crab Cakes - way overcooked....like eating hockey pucks. Calamari......way overcooked, hard as rock. This was by far the worst meal we'd had in a very long time. I wouldn't pay $5 for it anywhere and wouldn't feed it to my worst enemy. Oh but they had the gall to charge $60 for it !!!!!. Avoid this place if at all possible ! There are better places nearby.....like.....Araxi. Prices are pretty much exactly the same as La Bocca, but the food is near to fine dining and superior in taste and quality ! I'm sorry, but just because you're located in the middle of Whistler Village does not give you the right to charge triple the price for terrible food.

Hi WestCoastGuy001,
Welcome to Tripadvisor, and thank you for visiting La Bocca! We are terribly sorry that your meal was horrible in all accounts. This is certainly not our standard.
We have only received great reviews in the past for all three of those dishes that you tried. It sounds to me that the kitchen did a very poor job executing what are normally excellent appetizers, and for that we apologize profusely.
Our wild mushroom ravioli is normally quite flavorful, with a truffle and sage beurre blanc. The Crab cakes are usually quite tender, and the calamari is also normally crisp and delicate to the bite, with a delicious caper, onion and tomato salsa on top.
If you had alerted your server, we would have been happy to rectify the situation with fresh dishes at a moment’s notice, and if you were still unsatisfied we would not have made you pay for something that you did not want to eat. Again, given the chance or information, we bend over backwards to make sure that you enjoy your meal with us. However reading it on Tripadvisor does not give us any opportunity to make things better for you.
I wouldn’t mind touching on the Araxi comment: A quick perusal of both of our menus located on line shows me that Araxi is typically 30% more expensive than our menu. Their main dishes range from $27.50 - $40.50, and ours are $25 - $29. Their soup is $13.50 and ours is just $8. We don’t come anywhere near Araxi’s pricing.
We would love to have a chance to make things right for you by having you join us again. We would be happy to make those same dishes for you and your group, on the house. Please PM me and we can arrange something for you.