“Anniversary Dinner”

21 Steps Kitchen & Bar
Ranked #32 of 207 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Village Stroll
Reviewed September 26, 2017

My wife and I came to Whistler for our anniversary weekend and made reservations weeks in advance, came highly recommended and wasn't disappointed. Great atmosphere, location, food, price and staff. Our server was knowledgeable not only about the food but Whistler as well. Great dinner, highly recommend! Reservations a must!

Date of visit: September 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (1,691)

Reviewed September 25, 2017

Had a reservation booked for 9:15 Saturday but we were ready to eat much earlier. We stopped in and they were able to accommodate our request and got us in with a table in the 'Attic' at 7:15 which was greatly appreciated.

We had the buttermilk fried chicken to start (EAT THIS!) they were delicious, I had the bison steak with a salad instead of the vegetables and my husband had the pineapple ribs. It was all delicious once it came out right.

I had asked for my meat med-rare and my steak came out mooing (do buffalo moo?) - like almost blue rare. Anyways... they 'threw it back on the grill' and it came back out on a fresh plate of mashed potatoes. It was fine enough as it's standard practice in a resto for the steak to just go back on but in this case, there was already the chipotle butter on it searing it into the meat made it a little crisper and spicier than I would typically prefer for a med.rare cook. The spice was affected because they put even more of the chipotle butter on top after searing in the stuff that was already on.

The recooking was okay and it turned out fine, but the general attitude towards the request from the waitstaff was impatient and somewhat rude. I understand as most of the waitstaff in Whistler tends to be young, underpaid and overworked - it's expected. But this kid should have been kept in the back. There was also no concession for getting the order wrong on our bill - typically a restaurant of this caliber would comp an appetizer or dessert but there was no such offer.

The staff could be trained a little better in fine dining etiquette.

Reviewed September 23, 2017

We had our anniversary dinner there. It was good food, Didn't enjoy having to climb all

those stairs after a day of walking all over the Village. It's a good location right in the heart of the village.

Reviewed September 23, 2017

I've often walked right by this place as it's easily overlooked but am very glad we decided to stop in this time. Even without a reservation we were seated with only about a 15 minute wait (on a Saturday at 7:30pm). The food was excellent and the service extremely good. Great comfort food. Get a table at the back near the windows overlooking the back lane and you can watch the "commerce" going on in the bushes!

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank Talisker55
Reviewed September 20, 2017

Good location upstairs, service and food was very good and reasonably priced. We had the smoked chicken linguine and king prawn and scallop curry which were of good serving size.