“Great facility, poor customer service.”
Review of Nita Lake Lodge

Nita Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Vancouver, Canada
“Great facility, poor customer service.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We received a written note in the hotel room to me and my partner "Joe". I am assuming they meant Jill, my wife. Great start.

My sister-in-law received several emails about my own reservation.

I was given a hard time about a complimentary breakfast credit, given due to the inappropriate emailing. I had breakfast at Fix (cafe). However nobody had indicated the credit was supposed to be for Aura. How is that any fault of mine, and why does the Guest Relations Manager (Nancy) not simply say "Sorry about that, we'll take care of it. Don't worry." Instead of me receiving a chastising statement starting with "well for next time..."

Every time I stay at Nita lake I marvel at the rooms and love the hotel facility, but there is always something quite wrong with the customer service experience (last year my brother, sharing my room, was forced to wait in the lobby until I arrived hours later, even though the room was pre-paid).

Is the valet supposed to offer to help with baggage, or to just nod and say "Hey".

Whistler.com rates this hotel as 4.5 star accommodation. The facility deserves it -- which is why I have come back -- however the customer service does not. I am wondering what the next blunder will be?

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank boddah_method
lindseyturner, Director of Sales at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Steve,

Please accept my very sincere apologies for the shortfalls during your recent stay. I know that our Front Desk Manager, Theresa, has already been in touch with you. Our team prides itself on providing each and every guest with fantastic service and it definitely seems as though your expectations weren't met. Please rest assured that we are addressing all of your concerns with the respective team members and we look forward to welcoming you back for a stay that not only meets but exceeds your service expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (624)
Vancouver
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Nita Lake Lodge is one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in Whistler. I'm not just talking about the rooms, but also the exterior, lobby, restaurants and view.

My husband and I stayed at Nita Lake Lodge for two of our good friends' wedding. The lodge is located on Lake Placid Road, just across the street from Whistler Village. They offer a free shuttle service into the village from 7AM-11PM, -all you need to do is arrange the ride with front desk (unless you're up for a brisk walk). Parking is located underground and there is plenty of parking. If you prefer to drive, there wouldn't be any problems looking for a parking spot again when you come back.

As I walked into the lodge, I was greeted warmly by 2 staff members asking if I needed any assistance. Staff at the front desk were equally as welcoming and check in was a breeze.

The rooms itself were spacious and relaxing. The washroom is huge as there was a shower with seating area as well as a bathtub. I took a bath and shower as much as I could to enjoy my time in the room. The counter space in the washroom was spacious enough to lay out my makeup and hair accessories without feeling crowded.

The fireplace was a nice touch and so was the little bench near the room door to put on your shoes. There's a microwave and mini fridge in each room, but no stove. The balcony had 2 sturdy seats and table if you wanted to enjoy some breakfast out there.

The wedding felt like a fairy tale. The on-site wedding coordinator as well as the food / beverages manager were pros. The servers during the wedding were extremely helpful and accomodating.

If you decide to stay at Nita Lake Lodge eiher for a vacation or a wedding, rest assured you'll be in good hands.

Bonus: Dog Friendly Resort

Room Tip: Get the room with the lake view if you can.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We eloped at Nita Lake Lodge in September and our entire stay was absolutely perfect from start to finish.

The Hotel
The hotel and grounds look stunning. The building itself has such a warm and welcoming feel to it, with high ceilings throughout the foyer, bar and restaurant. A huge fire place greets you as you enter, which fits perfectly with the beautiful wooden furniture and artwork.

This is such a quiet and relaxing setting, it was the perfect place to slow down the pace, forget everything and just chill out. I have never been so relaxed in my life. The surrounding area is beautiful and made for some great wedding photos. We got married out on the dock on the lake, and it really was completely perfect. The hotel also has free bike rentals, and it was a great way to explore the trails around the Creekside area.

The Room
Our room was even better than we'd hoped. We could not have been more comfortable, and the place looks amazing. There is a stylish, modern design to the place, while still being warm and inviting. We had every amenity we could have hoped for, and so much space.

We stayed in a one bedroom, lake view suite, and waking up to the sight of the sun coming out on to that beautiful lake is something we'll never forget. There are lots of great details; the shutters that let you sit in the huge tub and look out onto the lake, the layout that made the flow through the suite work so well, the storage spaces in the bathroom….

The Food
We like food. A lot. So this was aways going to be an important part of our stay. We tried all three on-site dining options and each of them was great.
- Fix Cafe - a great selection of lovingly made drinks, cakes, pastries, and sandwiches. We are officially hooked on Nanaimo bars thanks to this place, I need to get the recipe so I can make them for our first anniversary.
- The Cure Lounge - we can definitely say that the burgers here were a brilliant cure for jet-lag, yummy!
- Aura - We had our wedding dinner here and it was the best meal either of us had ever eaten. The entire meal was prepared and cooked brilliantly (filet of Bison), and seasoned to perfection. The large windows and patio make for a beautiful view of the lake to accompany your meal. Breakfasts were absolutely amazing too (and huge)!

The Staff
But above all else, the thing that made our stay so special was the Nita Lake Lodge staff. Every single member of staff we met was so friendly, genuinely welcoming and helpful. They went out of their way to make our stay special and the owners and management should be very proud of the way this team works.

In particular, Kathleen, who helped us plan our wedding. The whole process was 100% stress free, and nothing was too much trouble for her. We can honestly say we had the happiest day of our lives thanks to Kathleen and Nita Lake Lodge.

Drew was also especially helpful (Shuttle Driver), and he made a huge difference to our stay. Top bloke!

Whistler
Nita Lake Lodge is in Creekside, a short distance from Whistler Village. We made good use of the hotel's free shuttle into Whistler village, to the point where we were able to explore the village without touching the car the whole time we were there, which made our stay even more relaxing. Whistler itself is an amazing place, with so much to do. The only downside was that home seems so awful in comparison now…typing this is making me wish we were back in Canada so much :(

Summary
Our stay at Nita Lake Lodge is something we'll probably never top, and we can't think of anywhere we'd rather have had as the setting for our wedding. We have so many great memories of our stay. Thank you Nita Lake Lodge. We will certainly be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christine W
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 23, 2012

As someone who has returned to Nita Lake numerous times a year, as well as hosting my own wedding at the lodge, I can highly recommend Nita Lake. It is a little out of the village of Whistler, but the complimentary shuttle and gorgeous lake front views, will make up for that. Aura, the restaurant in the hotel, is worth the splurge, particularly in summer when you can dine outside overlooking the lake. Complimentary JJ Bean coffee, large King sized beds, deep bath tubs, all add to the luxury of Nita Lake.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Amy, thank you for posting a review of your recent stay. We are always delighted to welcome our guests back to Nita, especially our wedding couples. We hope to see you again soon!
Vancouver Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I had to give the location an average because one might think or expect that staying in the village is key to a trip to whistler. Don't get sucked in to this though... Not when you have the Nita Lake lodge that's available. Awesome hotel with big comfortable rooms (and bathrooms), great restaurant and lounge that's just what you want from a whistler hotel. Staff is great and they'll shuttle you in a suburban to wherever you want to go. The rooms alone are the difference though... We've stayed at the Westin, Four Seasons and several others in the village and for my money and taste, Nita Lake is tops.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Oleae
Scotland
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We visited outside the snow season and were happy with the choice of Nita Lake. Great views of the Lake right beneath your window, very modern and well-equipped bathrooms and pretty big room with high vaulted ceilings and a working fireplace: nice combination of a bit of glamour/luxury and cosiness. I found the room a little cramped to move around in because of its design - an L shape - but it was comfortable. I also enjoyed the location 10 minutes from Whistler village, but that made it very quiet and peaceful too. A big plus point was the restaurant, which delivered an excellent dinner one night and a terrific breakfast each morning. My only quibble was with a $20+tax per night parking charge which I felt we were almost 'duped' into at check-in where it was presented as more or less compulsory. We soon discovered that out of season the area immediately outside the hotel has loads of free parking. To give the hotel their due, when I queried this they refunded the parking charge. Impressed overall.

Room Tip: I think all rooms must face the lake, but if not, insist on one!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scotsmantravelling
lindseyturner, Director of Sales at Nita Lake Lodge, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a very thoughtful review all the way from Scotland! I'm glad that you enjoyed our part of your Canadian experience. We do encourage guests to park in the underground to avoid possible ticketing in the surrounding neighbourhood. Also of note, we offer both lake and mountain view rooms. Both stunning - it just depends on the season and what a particular guest is looking for. Thanks again for your visit!
Broadbeach, Australia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The lodge is fantastic - probably one of the best ones we stayed in. Our room was a one bedroom suite and it was huge! Nice high ceiling add even more space to it and a fireplace makes it nice and comfortable. We were also able to hire a Nintendo Wii for our little one to play when the weather wasn't so good for skiing which was a great bonus :) The food was a bit pricey but good. And I have to mention outdoor hot tubs that were exactly what we needed after a day of skiing.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong here.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family