“The Art of Mellowing”
Review of West Coast Float - CLOSED

West Coast Float
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: It's called Floating or Flotation Therapy, using float tanks, isolation pods, or sensory deprivation tanks and it's amazing. Floating allows you to relieve pain, stress & sleep deprivation; to relax, visualize & create. What's unique about floating is that it gives each of us what we need, yet it does so with the same three factors - reduced gravity, sensory deprivation and Epsom salt. It may sound a little strange but we're confident that once you float, you'll see that it's unlike anything else in the world.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

Floating here was amazing. I used one of the tranquility pods. Ninety minutes felt like 30. I was a noodle afterwards in a happy, spacey kind of way.

I took a brief tour of the other units, two sleek pods, a floating cabin for two and a pool that is wheelchair accessible. All beautifully maintained and with nice amenities like open, in-suite showers and fluffy robes, the individual rooms that hold each flotation tank are fantastic.

This is definitely an experience I want to have again.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

West Coast Float is great addition to Whistler. Friendly welcoming staff, exceptionally clean and well designed. I really enjoyed my floating experience. It was such a relief to let go, both physically and emotionally. My spine and neck realigned, it felt great not to have to support my head and body, to let go. A great way to release creative ideas and energy or fast track to a meditative state. If you have a busy mind like me it's the perfect remedy.

1  Thank Moselle D
Reviewed March 25, 2014

After a day of snowshoeing, my niece thought a trip to float in salt water would be super relaxing. And for her, it was. She's been before, and loves it. She'll likely go again.
I found it quite disconcerting, and I even vacated the spa after 30 minutes.

You enter a room, shower first, then get into either a small pool (mine was the pool), or a cabin, or a pod, (all the same effect), and are floating in water that is the same temperature as your body, and same temperature as the air. Because of the high mineral (salt) content you float. And because of the temperature of the water and air, you can't really feel like you are floating in water, it's supposed to be sensory deprivation. You shut off the room lights, there is a small blue "glow light" in the water (looks pretty), that you can leave on or shut off. I tried both ways.

I found it very relaxing...for 5 minutes. Then I started to get bored. After what seemed to be a long time....I was very bored. No music, no sound, no light.... Then all I could think about was when is my 90 minutes going to be up. My mind was racing, I was planning what I was going to do later, what was for dinner, what time I had to wake up, were the cats sleeping on my pillow while I was out, how do magnets work.. ;) After what seemed to be an eternity, I got up out of the tub, showered the salt off, got dressed, and looked at my phone to see the time. I had only used up 40 minutes.

This isn't meant to be a dis-recommendation of the place, but be aware of how you will react to being sensory deprived for 90 whole minutes before you think the price is worth it. Another couple went in to the 2 pods the same time we used the cabin and pool. The woman was out of her pod even before I came out of my pool (she couldn't stand it either), but her partner was still in his pod right to the end.

7  Thank Acuram
Reviewed March 8, 2014

Without a doubt, Whistler's West Coast Float is the resort's newest and hottest attraction going. After a stressful and long travel day, I found having a 90-min treatment in their space-aged sensory deprivation pod was the perfect treatment to re-ground me and kick start a mini-getaway to this mountain paradise.

From the reception being greeted by a warm welcome from Bob & Louise explaining what I should expect and giving me full confidence that I was in complete control of the experience. Their coaching on how to get the most out of the experience with different relaxation poses to breathing to help relax and calm the mind was appreciated.

The warm salty water in the egg shaped pod with alien-like blue glowing light with the ability to close the pod, and switch the light off for complete sensory deprivation was very exciting. After a few minutes of calming the mind and fully relaxing and "letting go" the real experience begins.

After the session I felt renewed, relaxed and re-energized ready to take on some serious skiing. The next couple days I found my energy was up and had incredible sleeps. Can hardly wait to do it again!

TIP: Plan ahead and book early. Prime times are after skiing/biking - great recovery from an aggressive day on the hill. Since they are open until 10PM... if you had a long travel day, having an appointment in the early evening will help you with your jet lag and have you running full steam ahead the next couple days. Enjoy!!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

There are many cool activities to try in Whistler. As a local, I have tried most of them and can honestly say this one is the most unique! It's hard to explain exactly what it feels like and everyone has their own experience, but if you go into it with an open mind and a willingness to relax and embrace the stillness it is amazing. I would definitely go back!