“Best place to stay in Whistler”

Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed July 2, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Pan Pacific Village Centre for the long weekend from Fri to Mon, and had the best time ever in Whistler. The hotel was tastefully decorated and the room was spacious with full cooking facility. Our room was on the ground level and looked out to the pretty garden outside. The location of the hotel is awesome - in the village, but it is not on the village stroll, so no partying noise and it is on the second level, so no road noise. Close to Upper Village too. The best is probably the service from the friendly, helpful and smiling staff - Pan Pacific level service at a boutique hotel. Full cooked buffet breakfast is complimentary - you may need to wait for 5 mins for your favourite item if you go there towards the end, but no big deal at all. My husband enjoyed the lap pool for morning swim and I liked the hot and strong hot tub. We had such a fabulous time that we didn't want to leave. If I have to find something to complain about, the internet connection was not working in the room, but they let us in the business centre to quickly check email with no charge. We had been to Whistler many times and stayed at Delta, Crystal Lodge, Alpenglow and private accommodation before - this Pan Pacific is so many times better...

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CanucksTraveller
There are newer reviews for Pan Pacific Whistler Village Centre

Reviewed May 23, 2007

We stayed for 2 nights in a one bedroom suite in May. We were travelling with my 15 month old son and he was well catered for. A crib was put in our room and was a proper wooden crib, rather than a travel cot/playpen thing, complete with a selection of baby toiletries! It was out of season so the hotel was really quiet. The staff were friendly and very attentive. The valet parking was great. The breakfasts were fab - included in the price of the room. The gym is good too. It's certainly a nice place to stay and close to the village. Not sure how it would fare in peak season but suited us.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2007

I have just returned from a end of season trip to the Pan Pacific Mountainside, and was very impressed with this hotel. The staff were all very courteous without being obtrusive - from the valet arranging for our ski equipment to be stored at Mountainside on our arrival, to the charming check-in staff and the manager who hosts an apres ski drinks and appetizers reception - we couldn't fault the service.

The accommodation was of a very high standard - our two bedroom apartment was clean, modern and stylish and more than big enough for our party of six. The bathrooms were stocked with Aveda products, the kitchen was well equipped, there was a big balcony, dining table for six, and three televisions.

The buffet breakfast does get quite busy and we had to wait a few minutes each day for an available table, but the selection is great, and if something isn't stocked up, the staff will fetch it for you as quickly as possible. There is also the option of an on-the-run breakfast if you are in a hurry to get on the slopes.

The location is only a five minute walk to the gondolas, but your ski equipment has already been transferred to the Pan Pacific Mountainside, where you can access a locker room right beside the ticket office, so no need to carry anything even for this short walk. The hotel is well located for bars, restaurants and shops, but is unfortunately, close to the fire station. It's not a particularly busy fire station, but we were quite alarmed by the one truck that went out in the middle of the night!

My only complaint is that I was only able to stay here due to the big discounts the hotel offers on it's rates at the end of the season - I don't think I could stretch the the prices charged in high season, and because of this, won't be back at the Pan Pacific as often as I would like to!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank LikeItIs-Reviewer
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My husband and I have just come back from two weeks in Whistler, staying at this hotel. Overall, the hotel was excellent. The staff were friendly. The breakfast is good. Walking the 5 mins to the gondolas in snowboarding boots is fine especially as you can store your gear at the Pan Pacific Mountainside, next to the gondolas. The rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped.

Here are my concerns. Do not stay at this hotel over Easter if part of your enjoyment will include a quiet, civilised breakfast every morning. Over Easter this hotel is absolutely packed with little children. At one point, I counted 30 children under 10 in the breakfast room. The noise was indescribable. Even other parents were finding it tough.

My second concern is this. We booked a studio suite. There are only two studio suites in the hotel (according to the staff we asked). One is on the ground floor. The other is on the 4th floor. If you are a light sleeper, make sure you specify that you have to stay in the suite on the 4th floor. The ground floor suite shares a wall with the guest laundry, which also houses the guest ice machine. The ice machine seems to switch on at 4am and emit a loud droning sound, which woke me up every morning until we mentioned it to staff. While the staff were responsive and friendly, they would not upgrade us to a one bedroom suite and made us wait 2 nights until the studio suite on the 4th floor was available though they did offer to pay for earplugs. I would also not stay in the suite on the ground floor if you intend to spend time in your suite. The noise of guests doing their laundry during the day (it is locked at night) is very loud. The final thing I wanted to mention is that on the last day, I used the internet connection in the room for 15 mins to check in to our flight online. The staff not only refused to waive the $13.95 internet 24 hour use charge but as their systems were slow, the charge had not yet come up on my final bill. They told me they would automatically charge my credit card sometime in the next few weeks!! My view is that if the hotel cannot get its act together to present a final bill on a guest's departure, then that is tough. Given that we didn't at all make a fuss about the noise level on the ground floor, I would have though waiving a $14 charge for something that I used for 15 minutes would have been a no brainer.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CatFlu
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Just recently returned from the Pan Pacific in Whistler. Overall it was okay, nothing over the top. The location was okay - not great if you want to be at the gondolas for skiing. The atmosphere was nice, nothing to complain about but nothing to rave about either. Staff were okay. Could have been a bit more friendly but, based on the rest of the service in Whistler, our expectations were low.

Loved the restaurant. Staff were pleasent and willing to help (again based on the rest of Whistler this was a nice change). Food was good.

Overall, not a stong recommendation but if anything, it would rate.

• Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank traveller1000023
Reviewed March 22, 2007

...of taking me here last year, we returned this year...each time we receive an upgrade to our room (which are incredibly nice and definitely worth the extra $$$). He likes comfort and willing to pay a little more, I'm more 'we're never in the room'...now I only want to return here and for our April trip/Telus, well I'm whining he's decided we need to budget. The staff is incredibly friendly, helpful and just all around responsive. The breakfast is a MUST! The prices are reasonable when you book early, the distant to the mountains a nice walk, but right there. I've stayed at most places in Whistler, with the exception of lower Blackcomb resorts and HIGHLY recommend this location. The Mountainside is nice too, but a little pricier and for an extra 3 minutes by foot, not worth the walk (especially since the lockers are located in the Mountainside, you're only carrying your ski boots). HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helionskis!
Reviewed March 18, 2007

I felt compelled to write a review on this hotel because there is NOTHING to complain about. The staff is amazing and go out of their way to ensure that you have a great stay. The hotel is brand new and very close to the base of the mountains. If you want to be closer then you are going to pay way more for much less of a hotel.
We booked our accomodations on hotels.ca and got a great rate for a great room - 6th floor facing Blackcomb. If you book your ski pass with the hotel at least 7 days in advance you'll get 20% off the rates.
As soon as you arrive, the conceirge take your skis and poles to the sister hotel where the lockers are. You can't be much closer to the mountains! And you can drop off your gear after skiing and walk around the village without having to worry about carrying stuff. Every morning there is a free breakfast buffet which was delicious - I don't think there is any other hotel in the Village that offers this. Yes sometimes you may have to wait for the staff to bring out a fresh platter of fruit, but honestly, does it really matter? You're on vacation! There's a complimentary drink and appetizer every day from 4-5pm and there are 2 hot tubs and a heated outdoor pool. The gym is small but then again why did you come to a ski resort to run on a treadmill? And you have full access to the sister hotel's gym if you really want to use it.
The rooms don't actually have an oven however there's a convection microwave which is just as good - we made chicken and salmon in it and neither dried out. Also the restaurant in the hotel is only for guests staying there. We decided to try to out the tasting menu ($35) after talking to the manager and the food was delicious with generous portions. There was no one else there so it was like we had our own private dining room. I would definitely recommend the restaurant over other more pricey ones in the Village.
All in all, a great vacation!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple