“Good but with reservations”

Whistler Blackcomb -Bear Viewing & Ecology Tours- Day Tours
Ranked #14 of 56 Tours in Whistler
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have just been on the Bear watching trip with Michael, who is a knowledgeable guide and clearly knows the area well.
We saw 4 Different Black Bears over the 3hour trip, but the best was saved for last when we saw 3 Bears together right next to the vehicle.

My reservation however, is that having paid $200 each for the trip, that all 6 people in the vehicle should have an opening window to allow for easy photography. We were in the back of the vehicle which has tinted windows and a heated element on one of them making it difficult to take good photographs. Also, access to other windows is difficult when the vehicle is full.

To be fair to Michael, he did allow us to get out of the vehicle in order to take photographs at several points, when safe to do so. However, close photographing is impossible from the rear 2 Seats and if we had not been able to take photographs from outside, I would have been very disappointed indeed.

In summary, the trip was very good, but if you want to take photographs throughout the trip, don't sit at the back

5  Thank patc01

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We did this trip on a Sunday evening in June and it was fantastic. Michael Allen is an extremely interesting and knowledgeable guide who took us up Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains where we saw 11 bears, including mother and cubs. There were 7 people in the truck (including Michael) but this wasn't a problem as we rotated so that everyone had a chance to see there bears and there were several occasions when we were able to get out for better views. It is expensive but well worth the money to not only see the bears but to enjoy Michael's knowledge and experience of black bears.
Definite recommend.

2  Thank manswa
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Pleasantly surprised. Costly but worth it. Good knowledgeable guide/driver. Very educational and exciting for children. Would recommend

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just come back from Whistler and did the Michael Allen Bear tour. Expensive but worth every penny in my book. He takes you up Whistler and Blackcomb mountains, we saw 14 bears, including a mum (Ellie) and 3 cubs, which walked right past the car. He gives all the bears names, and took us to an unoccupied den too. He hikes up in the winter time to make sure he still knows his bears are there!! It was an amazing 3 hours. We did the 6pm one, Michael was a bit worried we wouldn't see too many as it was a very hot day, but he was very pleased too. His knowledge is just amazing, one of the best things we have ever done.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We booked this tour far in advance, and turned up for the 06:00 tour we'd booked. The guide was there, however he said we were much more likely to see bears in the evening. I had been in touch with the company via email before this and no one mentioned the evenings were better. They also had my phone number and hotel details. No matter, the guide said that there was only one other person booked on the 18:00 tour and just to come back then, reassuring us there would be no problem. We pottered around for the day, and by chance were in a cafe that had free wifi- as people with UK phones we had data roaming off. I thought I'd check my email just by chance. I had an email from a lady at the tour company saying the 18:00 tour was fully booked but we could go the next day instead!!! We'd come to Whistler for only one day as part of a driving holiday so this was impossible. I phoned the number she gave us multiple times but it just went to voicemail. We went into the office of another company and luckily they were able to help us; booking us onto a different tour and getting my money back. The lady eventually phoned me back at about 5pm saying she could now fit us in, and had been in a meeting all afternoon, but by then we were booked with someone else.
Overall this was clearly a case of very poor communication between the guide (who seemed very friendly) and the company, and laziness on behalf of the company- assuming that I'd be checking my emails rather than phoning. The only reason she rang me back was because I'd left a number of irate voicemails. We had been really looking forward to this tour and the anxiety that we wouldn't get to see any bears after all really marred our day.
In short- stick to the tour you're booked on!!

6  Thank gill p
WhistlerBlackcomb, Owner at Whistler Blackcomb -Bear Viewing & Ecology Tours- Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Whistler Blackcomb has been made aware of this comment and is currently looking into the details of the visit. Thank you for your comments, concerns and feedback. We will be in touch with you shortly.

Travelers who viewed Whistler Blackcomb -Bear Viewing & Ecology Tours- Day Tours also viewed

Whistler, British Columbia
Whistler, British Columbia

Been to Whistler Blackcomb -Bear Viewing & Ecology Tours- Day Tours? Share your experiences!