“Well... the spa is nice”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Whistler
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Well... the spa is nice”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Our stay was sort of nightmare-ish. We had to switch rooms twice.
Our first room had sticky dirty spots all over the tile floor, there was sticky stuff on the wall in the bathroom and the rug and some of the furniture was dirty and stained. We were shocked that the Four Seasons would even consider using a room in this condition. So my partner went down and spoke to a manager and they cleaned a new room for us.
We then got all our luggage transferred to the new room,settled in and realized the toilet didn't have any water in it and wasn't working at all, not only this but they put us right across the hall from the housekeeping supply room. There were constantly people in and out of there and the door opening and closing was very irritating and disruptive; so, we were moved again.
The third room was very nice, it was kind of tucked away in it's own little corridor and very peaceful and relaxing.
As for the mattresses: the beds in all three rooms were awful. They did put a board under the mattress to give it some more support but the difference was minimal. I have to say, I expected a lot more from the Four Seasons.
Next time I'm in Whistler I will probably stay somewhere else but will most definitely go back to the spa. Their spa is phenomenal! I had the best massage I have ever had and am dying to go back to their eucalyptus steam room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Just enjoyed 10 days at this very good hotel !

Excellent location and genuinely good service. The staff and the training programme are to be complemented. Service, especially in the restaurant and above all at breakfast was professional, warm and genuine, without falling into the "have a nice day - plastic smile" variety which can grate on European visitors.

The ski concierge facility is excellent, the boys and gils couldnt have been friendlier or more helpful. It could only be improves by the option of coffee as opposed to hot chocolate at the end of the day, but that really is picky.

The main concierges were extremely helpful and unfailingly courteous and gracious.

The spa, and above all the hot tubs were spectacular and almost worth the 10 hour flight in themselves.

Housekeeping was not perhaps as smooth and fault free as it should be in a hotel of this quality.

Thank you to all at the hotel, and no hesitation in strongly recommending it to others.

Room Tip: ask to avoid a room which looks over the loading yard / car park at the back of the Fairmont next d...
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just spent 3 days in Whistler at the Four Seasons with a group of work colleagues. It was a brilliant experience overall. The location is terrific and the facilities are all excellent. Sitting in a hot spa at the end of a day's skiing is extremely therapeutic. The food and bar service was very good, although not inexpensive. Then again, it is the Four Seasons (although our room rate was very competitive). Having the ski concierge right on the snow is a brilliant concept / service, and makes the setting up and end of day process so much less arduous. However, the real stand-out for us was the staff - highly competent, friendly and efficient. Every question or need was addressed quickly and effectively. Will be back again, with my family next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We recently had the pleasure of staying at Four Seasons Whistler. It is a must stay hotel! The staff was incredible. From the moment we arrived, we knew we would be in for a great experience. We had high expectations, but this property far exceeded them. All of the basics are great. The room itself is stunning and the in room fire place is cozy and comfortable. Make sure you go down stairs to the restaurant. The beef is worth writing home about, and their house made sauces and spices will excite any diner. Ski concierge was also great! We were concerned about the idea of leaving our skis. I was so impressed with how they handled our equipment. Every employee handled our belongs with care- and trust me, we thoroughly inspected everything daily. Ski concierge also had hot chocolate and cookies waiting for us when we got off the mountain. It was a great trip; we cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The service was the stand out aspect of our stay, they were the difference between 4 and 5 stars for me. The rooms are nice but nothing special and the location is great especially with the free shuttle bus and the ski concierge (option to store your equipment at the bottom of Blackcomb).

Vancouver
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We love the Four Seasons Hotel chain and always try to stay at one of their properties. So when a chance to visit Whistler for a weekend came up - we jumped at the chance to return to the Four Seasons (we've stayed many times). My favourite thing about this hotel is the location - away from the nonsense that can occur in the evenings in the village. And, the service.

But, that has changed....

The front desk, porters, valet were all very good and friendly so it seems a bit unfair to rate them as average. However, they have snooty service staff in the restaurant to thank for that. In particular, the breakfast service staff are terrible....so terrible that it is almost comical. While the food is above-average the service is not! In general the service people we had neither cared about who was paying their wage or cared enough to provide half-decent service or even a glass of water when requested. We would return to this property if there was a sale on the room rates (as they are very overpriced) but would take our dining dollars elsewhere.

Also, I should note that the room while clean was not clean enough.

I think the Four Seasons in Whistler is not keeping up to the Four Seasons standard. This property that once felt luxurious now felt well....just ok.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd Y, Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Whistler, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear RomanVancouver,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is disappointing to learn that we failed to exceed the service expectations that you have come to know and trust. Your constructive feedback is valuable and appreciated. I understand that your time is valuable but I would be grateful for the opportunity to speak with you personally to offer my most sincere apologies,

Regards,
Todd Yamaoka
Resort Manager
todd.yamaoka@fourseasons.com
604-966-2663
Birmingham
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was our 4th stay at Four Seasons Whistler. This time we had a 1 bed suite. The suite was large with a guest shower room and further full bathroom. Lots of storage space, good bathroom amenities and good quality bathrobes.

Although the style of the hotel is 'laid back chic' rather than glitzy and glamorous, I do think the age of the furnishings is starting to show. In fact I am being kind. It is really showing, a lot. I have thought this previously but as the service (more on this below) is so good, I have overlooked the décor issues.

If I was to review this hotel by décor alone, it is average at best. The public areas are nice enough, the bar and restaurant are both good, the swimming pool is very nice too but the rooms ( I have now stayed in 4 different rooms) are well beyond their best. They really are in urgent need of an upgrade.

The hotel staff however, are what makes this a 5* experience. Everyone from the reception staff, concierge, ski concierge, bar staff right up to management care about their guests’ experience. It shows in everything they do. Nothing was too much trouble, restaurant reservations were made without fuss and they even have a couple of resort cars to shuttle guests around Whistler.

The complimentary hot chocolate and cookies after a full day’s skiing is a very nice touch.

I have reviewed the restaurant separately, but we did have room service one evening. It was delivered promptly and was perfectly good but I have to say, they have ‘dumbed down’ the menu. When we stayed there two years ago, the room service menu included wonderful seafood platters. Now it’s mostly soup, burgers and fries, seems a pity in a top notch hotel but I guess they have narrowed the menu down to what was being ordered most often.

Our stay was, as usual, very enjoyable. However, for the first time, I left thinking I know I will be back in Whistler next year, but maybe I will look at other 5* options as the decor, furnishings, scuffs on carpets etc. (I could go on but do not want to be overly negative) are just not right for this calibre of hotel. It’s such a shame as the service is, without doubt, amongst the best if have experienced in any hotel.

2 Thank Brum74
Dear Brum74,
Thank you for posting your kind comments regarding the service your received on your recent stay. We are very fortunate to have such wonderful people as part of our Whistler family. Your feedback regarding our decor is valuable and helps us to further direct our efforts to ensure we are providing the best experience for all of our loyal guests. I hope that we may be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards,