“Good, not perfect”

Four Seasons Resort and Residences Whistler
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
“Good, not perfect”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is probably the fourth time we have stayed at this property the past 7 years. We keep returning as it is the most luxurious property in Whistler and the ski concierge, which other reviewers discuss, make it a very easy and enjoyable ski holiday. However, during our last visit we noticed that the hotel did not feel as fresh as it did in previous years, and we had a few errors on our bill which took three phone calls to sort out. We will return again, but the stay this year was four stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the wing where the spa and pool are and one that faces the courtyard
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Fairway, Kansas, United States
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights as part of our trip to Canada for our honeymoon. Previous to our stay here in Whistler, we stayed at the Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino, which was BRILLIANT. I booked our room here at the FS months ago as part of a ski package. We had really looked forward to the luxurious treatment we have seen from other FS around the world; and for the price, we had high expectations.

Upon check in we waited in the lobby for a significant amount of time, which is expected, this is a beautiful destination, however, no coffee, tea, water offered, no direction from staff..it felt as though there was no organization. The front desk staff were average, nothing special or over the top. I must add here, 35$ nightly for car park? Get a driver from Vancouver...cheaper and less to worry about.

Our room was good, spacious...very luxurious bathroom. Furniture appeared outdated and not what I had expected from this hotel. TV was good (several channels did not come in, but this was not a huge problem for us as not big tv watchers). Our view was so so ( we stayed in room 722) which looks at the base of the mountain and more specifically at a carpark (which can be noisy in the morning we learned). Bed was comfy, fireplace good. Minibar!?! We opened ours to find it was empty, only to learn we must order what we want and they will come fill it...we decided to go find our own off property..not convenient, never heard of this before. Bottled water in the room 3$ per bottle. Please!

Service: housekeeping was terrible! I've stayed at 2 star places with better housekeeping and room services. We would generally be skiing and away from our room from 8am to around 330 or 4pm...every single day we arrived back to our room to find it had not been cleaned, no towels restocked, glasses/coffee cups dirty, etc. I had to call to get clean glassware, and even then staff was rude and short tempered. I don't expect people to clean up after me, but part of a "5 star vacation" is not having to worry about dishes and laundry...not here...I found I was cleaning more than not. Turn down service appeared to be more organized...but still would have preferred clean towels and sheets to someone turning my bed down for the evening! Probably the best service came from the ski concierge at the bottom of blackcomb. Excellent service there and we loved the convenience of leaving our ski equipment at the end of a long day...very nice! Pool service was also very good...however, expensive (33$ for 2 drinks).

Food: expensive! Explore and find better places off site. We did eat at Sidecut which offered GREAT steaks, very good. Again, service was average. Our waiter was snooty and appeared uninterested. Wine list limited and overpriced.

Overall...I would not stay here again. I walked around Whistler village during our stay and was able to find ski in ski out places offering cheaper rates, more food options, and what appeared to be better service. We were very disappointed and after spending the money we did, realized, we could have gotten a lot more for it. Little things make HUGE differences, but this hotel just doesnt offer that. Just make sure to read all reviews before booking!

1 Thank Courtney A
Todd Y, Manager at Four Seasons Resort and Residences Whistler, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Courtney A,
Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on your recent stay. I appreciated your positive comments regarding our Ski Concierge and pool service. I was however very concerned to learn of your other experiences as you described and wanted to offer my sincere apologies as clearly this level of service is not acceptable. I would be grateful for any time you may have so that I may contact you directly.

With renewed apologies,
Todd Yamaoka
Resort Manager
todd.yamaoka@fourseasons.com
604-966-2663
London
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Nothing in life is perfect but The Four Seasons Whistler comes very, very close! This was our second trip to Whistler and as stated in my previous review we really couldn't imagine staying anywhere else! The Hotel is fabulous and the ski concierge is an added bonus but the real star of this hotel is the incredible staff. They are extremely kind and helpful and they made our holiday utterly fabulous! Todd and Reuben you truly went above and beyond the call of duty- thanks so much for your thoughtful and sincere hospitality. For anyone considering The Four Seasons Whistler for their skiing holiday we hope you give yourselves the opportunity to make your holiday perfect by staying at this wonderful Hotel!

Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I just returned from a fabulous stay at Four Seasons Resort in Whistler! The Superior Room was extremely spacious with a lovely large bathroom. The staff were absolutely wonderful and I am referring to ALL staff from the front desk and the concierge to the hotel restaurant staff! I enjoyed the walk to Whistler Village although the hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle. This has been one of my best vacations ever and I will definitely look forward to my next stay at the Four Seasons Resort in Whistler!

Kathy Austin

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear Kathy A,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay. So pleased to hear that you had such an amazing time. Look forward to your return soon.

Warm regards,
Todd Yamaoka
Resort Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My check in at the Whistler property was good. The room good. The amenities good. The food good. The service good.

Excellent? No.

It is missing a soul. It does not have a clear depiction of who it is as a brand.

The lobby is obtuse. I had to ask when I drive up if this was the entrance to the hotel. Why would I have to ask that? They need to spend more time creating a sense of GRAND entry. Then the lobby itself was very boring. When entering the elevator the interior skin was scratched and not clean. How can this happen?

The room was good. Clean. Well appointed. But again no soul. It needs some spice. Some local chuchkas something.

The food is outstanding.

The housecleaning outstanding.

The amenities good.

The bell service was not running on all cylinders. It took them 20 minutes to get to me. So I left and carried my own bag.

Don't get me wrong it is clearly the winner as best property in Whistler but it needs a stylist to make it an experience.

Joseph

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Joseph S
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for a week beginning January 14 and loved every minute of our stay. Everyone working here was warm and friendly. The shuttle and car service are convenient and make getting everywhere a breeze. The concierge took care of all of our activity and dining reservations. The spa was awesome. The food was great! I can't wait to come back here!!!! It's very pricey but worth every penny for us!

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2013

A co-worker and I were booked for a 2 bedroom suite for 4 nights and we ended up with a tiny room with two single beds! Were told fully booked and "these things happen and there is nothing they can do". Wow! I should also mention the two single bed room is 625 a night and the 2 bedroom suite was 1300 a night. This is their fault and are not willing to fix it. Will not be staying here or any other four seasons again.

Room Tip: Double check your room before coming or it might somehow be changed on you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business