“best deal in whistler”
Review of First Tracks Lodge

First Tracks Lodge
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stayed for 3 days in this property and enjoyed every minute of it. The beautiful surroundings and less noise/crowds make it worthwhile to drive to the village every day. Next door is an excellent ski school for the kids. We stayed in a one bedroom plus den and paid $340 a night, The property is close to 800 to 1000 square feet and is very clean and upscale. You probably have to pay twice for a similar property in the village. We will stay here again for sure. We usually stay at the Four Seasons when not skiing.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank manny2007
There are newer reviews for First Tracks Lodge

Reviewed March 18, 2012

Without hesitation I would stay here again and recommend to anyone.

My wife and I stayed here for a week in February and loved it. This is truly ski in-ski out accommodation of the highest quality. I have stayed before where they claim ski in - ski out but you still have a reasonable walk to the front door. Not so hear, you basically ski to the entrance door.

Quality of the accommodation is first class. Staying at Creekside is more relaxing than Whistler Village and gives you more of the true laid back mountain stay, however it does have its downside. Unless you constantly like eatiing burgers and pizza the restaraunt options are limited and you will find you will go to Whistler Village to eat a decent meal. Just a short bus trip for $2.50 each way and they come very regularly and leave almost at the front door.

My other concern is that check in etc is done at Legends which is a short walk away. Whilst they do have one person stationed in the reception area during the day they have limited abilty to do anything and leave not too late in the night.

My recommendation- do yourself a favour and stay here it is well worth it. We will be back and would not stay any where else. Having spent some time at Whistler Village checking out the other accommodation options, I would definitely not stay in the Village and would always be at First Tracks. It was brilliant

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Harrycarroll
Reviewed March 16, 2012

I don't review much but last year I reviewed the Killington Grand lodge so this year I thought I'd do my annual review for our ski vacation and we went with First Tracks in Creekside at Whistler. What an awesome place to stay. I will list the pros and cons but don't be confused - the pros make this place a 98% favorable place - the cons knock it down 2%.

Pros:
- Proximity to gondola - impossible to be closer.
- Pools/hottubs - very nice, opportunity for some privacy, more than adequately large for the facility. Perfect.
- Rooms - incredulous. Awesome beds. Very nice furniture. Nice amenities. Heated tile floors - very nice for cold feet in the morning. Washer/drier... gas fireplace... leather furniture... new stainless appliances... nice balcony... nice views... just incredible.
- Privacy - we lucked out I guess with an end unit but I don't know how much that mattered - the bottom line is that we didn't hear a single sound from anywhere else other than our room the entire week we were there. We could have been on mars. The days we woke up to snow falling I swear we could hear the snow landing outside it was so quiet and peaceful. Compared to our killington grand visit last year - holy cow no comparison possible that place was like romper room on steroids in comparison.

Cons. These are so minor I hate to even mention them.
- The master BR has a king bed that rocks. But the second bedroom in the 2BR units has just one double bed, which is less than convenient if you have more than one kid. Our two boys are of the age and size that sharing a double bed isn't comfortably workable. We could force it but it would mean a lot less sleep for them which isn't ideal on a ski vacation. We squeezed a cot into their room - makes the room very tight and costs an extra $10/night but that was definitely the way to go and it worked out great.
- On-site "concierge" is a nice idea but short on usefulness. She gave us the wrong time for the fire/ice show (wasted an hour), gave us the wrong closing time for Can-ski rental shop (wasted a walking round trip), and when we asked about the restaurants she only knew about 3 of them first hand - the others was like "oh I don't really know I've never been there." She has two computers that she's always zoomed in on (one in the lobby, one in the office) but when I asked one night if I could hop on one to google the score of a game, you'd have thought I asked her to strip off all her clothes. The answer of course was "no."
- Little things. You have to specifically call and request paper towels. you have to specifically call and request robes (which had we known on day 1, we would have). The website indicates there is a movie/media room for kids but upon inquiring, that is actually at Legends and they don't let First Tracks guests use it which seems bizarre to me (both places were pretty empty when we were there). none of these are big deals but the place is so nearly perfect, why would they make these difficult? Who in the world doesn't want paper towels in their 2BR ski condo for a week? The kitchen amenities in general were a little sparce with the typical scratched up crappy frying pan, but I've never been anywhere where that wasn't the case.

Creekside vs Whistler Village:
This has been pretty well covered by other reviewers.
- If you're young or without kids, you probably should opt for the village - there is certainly lots to do and mega choices for dining there and Creekside is too far to conveniently go back and forth without the risk of driving drunk (a felony in Canada, don't forget). Creekside is very short on dining options and has essentially zero entertainment options other than Dusty's, which is hopping late afternoon when the slopes close but dies very quickly around 6pm.
- There are a half dozen dining options or so within walking distance. None are outstanding but they are collectively adequate. The village on the other hand had a plethora of wonderful choices.
- The slopes into Creekside are definitely blue and in fact the easiest way to get in is Franz's (blue) to Dave Murray downhill (black). This was fine for me and my sons but my wife opted most days to return down by downloading the creekside gondola - which worked fine.
- One thing that would be nice would be if they would let you ride the Big Red lift without skis and download on it - this would allow non-skiers a way to get to the village without driving or taking the bus (Creekside gondola to Big Red to Village Gondola, and vice versa). In fact this is another thing the hotel people told us incorrectly - when I was booking they said it was definitely possible. It is not - they won't let you get on the Big Red lift without skis and won't let you download the lift even with skis.
- For a family with kids/tweens who are more into skiing than nightlife, Creekside is perfect. We cooked dinner in our condo half the nights and ate out half - worked out very nicely.

If we go to Whistler again with our kids, this will be our destination of choice - it is really nice. But if we ever go sans kids, we would definitely opt for the village - not just the nightlife (in fact we'd probably pass on that) but more so the huge variety of dining options. Creekside just lacks that badly - it has like 3 pizza places, a take-out sushi place (which was very good I have to say, but no ambiance for sit-down eating), a quirky diner with food that was so-so, and that's about it. The village has like 50 places to choose from - high end to low end, every type of food you can imagine.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank 0neWolf
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Staying in Creekside was an excellent decision. We were close to everything Whistler has to offer and the Gondola was right outside the door making it very convenient. The accommodations were probably the nicest we have had on our travels. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My only suggestion would be that staff need to be trained better in the layout of the lodge. When our trip was booked several months ago, I requested a room in a quiet area, preferrably facing the mountain. I called again a few weeks before our arrival there and it was confirmed that this was not going to be a problem. When we got to our room, it was on the ground floor, directly facing the gondola with busy line-ups of skiers and right across from the restaurant/bar and its loud music. The staff person I spoke to regarding this was definitely as helpful as possible but indicated she was not really familiar with which rooms faced what. The situation was correctly very quickly though and we were more than pleased with the room we were moved to. Besides this initial frustration, our experience at First Tracks were amazing.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 26, 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A Whistler Blackcomb traveler
Reviewed February 23, 2012

All I have to say is heated floors! This place was incredible. The cabin style design makes you feel like you're in the mountains and it's right next to the gondola which is a huge plus! This means that after you're done riding all day you don't have to worry about taking a bus somewhere and walking to your hotel...it's right there! The room itself was sooo nice. Very clean and comfortable. I loved the fireplace and the awesome kitchen. I was just impressed the whole time! You have to stay here!

(correction...I stayed December 2010)

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor next to the pool area so we didn't have to walk through the who...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Ovations, Director of Sales at First Tracks Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful remarks and for choosing to stay with First Tracks Lodge! We hope that we'll have the opporunity of welcoming you back again sometime.