“A nice place to stay”

Ranked #7 of 10 Whistler B&B and Inns
Bremerton, Washington
“A nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

The alpine chalet was a nice place to stay. It was very clean, quiet with friendly staff. We were Groupon Customers. I only mention this because while our stay was well worth the Groupon price, I don't think I would pay full price to stay here (I'm frugal, I don't pay full price to stay anywhere!). I outlined some details below. I do have some critiques, but overall it was a great experience!

Lots of people complain about their excessive rules on this site, but it wasn't bad. Personally, I think that the no food/drink in your room is a bit much. It kind of made me feel like I was coming home from college for the summer and having to live by my parents rules again. But like I said, it's not like it ruined our trip.

The breakfasts were wonderful! The one complaint I have is that the first available breakfast time is 8:15 which is too late if you plan to be at the mountain when the lifts open.

We stayed in the Fir Room. It was VERY small, but adequate. My wife and I found the bed to be quite uncomfortable.

My biggest complaint was the ironing board and iron...they are old pieces of junk! It annoyed me because for "4.5 star" accommodations, I expect a nice, new iron and ironing board. Especially because the clientele they attract will surely be going out for some nice dinners and need to freshen up their clothes once they unpack.

Again, my complaints are minor ones, but ones I would expect to be addressed for a 4.5 star accommodation.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank corhof

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

We booked the chalet through a Groupon promotion and it turned out to be a really good experience. We had looked at all the positive reviews prior to to booking and were really looking forward to our stay. Shortly before going I came back to this site and found a few quite negative reviews which left us a little apprehensive. Anyways, our stay was what we had orginally hoped for, very nice. The chalet is very clean, the rooms are well appointed, (adjacent room plumbing can be heard), the breakfast was very tasty and the staff were all very friendly and offered some excellent advice on a local spa and restaurants.
A couple of things to understand going here. They want their guests back by 11:00pm and they don't want you drinking alcohol in your room. They do have a very nice area with fireplace and leather couches where they encourage you to bring your wine and enjoy. Both of these probably designed to give all the guests a quiet night sleep. If you are young and want to party late, probably not your place to stay.
The only thing we didn't like was the chalet wants everybody to wear slippers (that are provided) once you enter the facility. We understand that ski season can pose it's issues with snow and boots but it was a bit too quirky for us.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clarkeyrakes
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2011

With the risk of getting a very defensive rebuttle from the owners (as I have seen they tend to do)...here goes:
Overall, it was fine. But NOT worth the money!!
The place was cute and quaint.
The "butler" they like to promote is really just a concierge. (He was perfectly nice, however! Wang, I think) But seriously, it's misleading to say you get your own "butler". uh huh.
The room was actually very nice - BUT we had the best one, with the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Though the sink was cracked and we couldn't use the jacuzzi past a certain time.
If we had a lesser room, I REALLY don't think it would have been worth the money!!!
The very touted breakfasts: it was good, not amazing. You get yogurt and fruit and granola then a "main course". Which was tastey, but didn't exactly rock our worlds. I guess we were expecting more with the advertising? It was supposed to be fantastic!! Had a Nutrition session - which was fine, but nothing amazing.
So yeah, overall, our stay was fine/adequate. It's a fine little hotel, I just felt we paid too much is all.
You can get a better value for your dollar.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shaaley
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

We had a wonderful, relaxing, tranquil two-night stay at the Whistler Alpine Chalet. Our room (The Hemlock) was perfect. I loved the fireplace, the Jacuzzi, and the patio. The Chalet was very quiet and serene. The bed was comfortable (although a little hard for us, just a personal preference), and the bedding was of really good quality. The location was ideal, far enough away from the village for peace and quiet, yet only a convenient 2 minutes drive into town.
Onto the “rules.” We actually didn’t mind them at all. We our (Gasp!) in our mid-twenties and we didn’t mind the “curfew” or the shoes-off policy. Although I think the curfew is odd and though we are not “mature” in age, we are not the type to stay out late and party, so it didn’t really affect us and the quality of our stay. I understand the no-shoe policy. Whistler is essentially and outdoor playground, where you can hike, snowboard, go zip-lining (like we did), etc etc. Your shoes are bound to get dirty, and I appreciate the cleanliness of all the facilities. The no-drink policy in the rooms wasn’t a bother either. We just drank our wine downstairs in the lounge.
The food was quite good. The fruit parfaits were delicious, we had omelettes (and the catered to my vegetarian diet, thanks!), and the home-made fresh muffins were good. The French-pressed coffee was delicious. We had eggs Benedict one day, the eggs were cooked perfectly, but the hollandaise sauce was a little vinegary. Overall, the food was fresh, health-conscious, and very filling.
Hands down, the best part of our stay was the friendly and attentive services of Louise. She was kind, professional, and clearly wanted to make the guests happy. She worked her butt off all weekend (she was there Friday night until 11, back Saturday morning at 8, where she helped serve, prepare breakfast and cleaned the rooms, and again there on Sunday morning). The chalet is lucky to have her as employee; she is lovely. Thank you Louise!
My only complaint: To be honest, I actually tried to get out of my reservations through the Groupon promotion a few weeks before our stay. Not because of the bad reviews that have been recently posted (although they were concerning), but because of how the owner, Jason Hari, has responded to these reviews. I did not want to support a business owner who showed no appreciation for his customers. I know from experience, from working in customer service for a number of years, that the customer is not always right. That being said, the customer is sometimes right. There were clearly a number of people who were not satisfied with their stays at the Chalet, and Mr. Hari, in no way, shape or form, was apologetic. He responded with arrogance, aggressiveness, and abrasiveness. He disclosed personal information of his clientele (which actually goes against tripadvisor policy and probably some sort of better business bureau policy). It is not OK to bash your customers in public, regardless of how justified you feel. Mr. Hari, you come off in a terrible light in these responses, and I would encourage you to rethink how you respond to your (valuable!) customers in the future. You are the only reason that I would not recommend this beautiful chalet and the only reason I would not give your accommodations a perfect grade. Regardless of preconceived notions of the chalet as a result of the distastefulness of the owner, we tried to remain as objective as possible and did truly have pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
11 Thank shiver0777
AlpineChalet, General Manager at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, April 14, 2011
We are pleased you fully enjoyed your experience at Whistler Alpine, and for your perfect grade. We have always, and will continue to bring valid real guest facts to the forefront of any critical, often biased agenda based valuation, so as to ensure balance in perspectives and subjective personal opinions. We have nearly 10 times the amount of reviews of any other, and are pleased that we continue to outperform and remain 'Best in class'. Whistler Alpine Chalet is in a class of its own, and the vast majority of our guests who focus on their own experience, not others, optimize their Whistler experience by staying with us.
vancouver, british columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed a night in this beautiful Chalet. The rooms and common areas were immaculate. The hosts were very friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed the wood-burning fireplace in the living room and the steam shower.
I recommend this hotel to anybody travelling with their partner or with family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank goagz
Victoria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2011

I got a discounted wellness and recuperation 2-night package for the chalet from Groupon. The package was described on the Groupon page and on the chalet's website as including 2 yoga classes per day, a wellness and nutrition seminar, afternoon tea, and as having a hot tub with views of Alta Lake.

I booked a few weeks in advance and informed them that I was using the Groupon discount. The staff were courteous and very professional, and very accomodating when I had to move my reservation one day. I picked weekdays for our stay as I thought that would mean that Whistler would be less busy.

When we got there we were impressed by the butler, Wayne, who was absolutely helpful and professional; however, we were surprised to find out that there were no yoga classes being offered at this time, nor the wellness seminar and the afternoon tea consisted of a self-serve station with a kettle for boiling water and packages or coffee, hot chocolate and tea bags in the lounge area.

Another huge disapointment was the hot tub. Since we were the only guests using it, it felt like it was our own private hot tube; but it did not have views of Alta Lake, rather, it is surrounded by wodden fencing with some trees over the top of the fence, and it was slimy, dirty and slippery.

Breakfast was excellent, and Louisa was warm, friendly and served us very well. We felt very well taken care of by Louisa and Wayne and want to stress that our poor review of the chalet does not in any way reflect the service we received from them. They are staff there and have no control over what the owners chose to offer the guests. When we mentioned to them that we were disappointed in the fact that yoga classes were not offered, they were shocked that the person taking the reservation did not inform us of this.

Since we got a discounted package for those 2 nights it ended up paying $275 a night instead of the regular price of $319 so we didn't lose out on any money. The bone of contention for us though is the fact that we went there expecting it to be a wellness retreat and ended up getting a regular B+B that we could have booked anywhere and probably for less. That along with the false advertising (they don't have a chef on-site, no afternoon tea and the hot tub does not have views of Alta Lake) made our first impression of the chalet rather disappointing and guarantees that we will not go back or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lulu123Victoria
AlpineChalet, Guest Relations Manager at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Thank you for your feedback we strive to ensure all guests continue to enjoy a relaxing getaway. Your feedback helps us ensure we continue to provide an tranquil environment that allows you opportunity for rest , indulge in yoga , enjoy healthy gourmet breakfasts and interact with friendly and knowledgeable staff , aiming to provide a stress free holiday. Your, wellness is important to us.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

Before I even start, I am prepared for a rebuttal from this lodging's management. I hope discerning Tripadvisor readers will still at least take into consideration what I have to say, without assuming that I must be some sort of disrespectful and uncultured "immature" person who made the wrong choice about where to stay in Whistler.

First off, don't run a Groupon deal in the United States and Canada if you pride yourself on serving a "mature and European" clientele.

Secondly, please state your many rules (which are unlike any I've experienced and despite what the hotel management might think I have actually done some travelling and no, it wasn't just to get drunk and eat mediocre greasy food). At least at the time of our stay in February nowhere did it say on the Groupon, the website, or even over the phone when we booked our rooms that we would have an 11:00 curfew, a no drinks/food policy in the room (which, by the way is very difficult on those of us who may have to take medication with a little bit of food at odd hours - sneaking downstairs in total darkness to get to the communal area in order to access anything edible I brought was ridiculous), or a shoes-off policy.

In fact, while they do tell you about the no shoes policy and the no food/drink in the rooms upon your arrival, they do NOT tell you about the curfew until you get up to your room with a letter in an envelope that states "A gentle reminder - please be back before 11:00." How can it be a reminder when I was never told in the first place?

This place is very confused about what it wants to be. They tout a gourmet breakfast but I urge Tripadvisor readers to look at recent reviews and take them seriously - this is truly not a great breakfast experience, and no I am not looking for hash browns and sausage in the morning, believe it or not (for instance, I've stayed at a great 5 star resort called Salish here in Washington and that is a true gourmet breakfast). A tiny muffin that was identical to the ones I make out of Betty Crocker instant mix is not gourmet. A plate with browning apple and banana slices is not gourmet. Neither is one scrambled egg, two pieces of bacon, and a couple stalks of asparagus. Healthy? Sure. Gourmet? No. If you read the management's responses to recent reviews they are full of extreme hyperbole and exaggeration about the level of food.

Despite the fact that we were American, under age of 35, and part of the Groupon promotion, we were all extremely polite, quiet, and mindful of the rules. Despite this, we were met with cold and icy service. I felt like I was constantly doing something to offend the staff, just by being there. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it just felt uncomfortable. I acknowledge this is my own perspective and completely subjective. However, I know I was not the only one when a couple across the room from us at breakfast looked around guiltily just because their chair made noise on the floor when they pushed it back to stand up. As if they were doing something wrong!

The rooms were pretty nice, overall. However, you can't watch TV in the evening, or use your jacuzzi tub in the evening past a certain hour. I don't remember the time, but it was definitely before the 11:00 curfew.

The place is really a 3 star experience, overall. The thing that knocks a star off for me is the lack of clarity about the lodge on its website (unless its changed since we stayed here last month), and more importantly - the management's response to reviews. It has been exaggeration at best, and outright condescending and offensive at worst. Their continual references to less "mature" people, failure to acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and huge assumptions that just because someone didn't like their breakfast that somehow makes them desiring of a night of debauchery and greasy spoon fare to soak it up in the morning is ridiculous and disrespectful to people who paid money to stay there. If you want to stay somewhere where your character is judged for better or worse, this is the place to go, I guess.

And just to clarify some other things - they have ONE hot tub (not hot TUBS as was stated in the last management response), and one steam shower room of sorts that is extremely small. Also, if you want to sit and enjoy the nice leather furniture with a drink in the common area, you will not get the "quiet" the management is so fond of referencing. In fact, you will listen to bad plumbing noises coming from the nearby bathroom, loud sounds from a laundry room, and some sort of unidentifiable loud ringing noise. Normally, I wouldn't nitpick about this sort of thing, but if you're going to go on and on and on about how peaceful your chalet is, I am going to clarify the situation from a paying guest's perspective.

Some other not-so-resort-like qualities included Soft Soap plastic handsoap dispensers and a shampoo dispenser in the shower as opposed to actual products.

Overall, the bed was comfy, I will say that. The balcony was a nice feature though the only view was of some very nearby trees. The fireplace was nice. They do keep the place clean, so good for them. The service wasn't rude, necessarily, just awkward at times. It was nice to have free parking. And the location is nice, within quick driving distance of the Village. So there are pros to staying here if you're the type that likes being extremely quiet, and going to bed by 11:00. And that's absolutely fine if the chalet wants to cater only to those types, but they need to start being extremely clear about it, and not just on Trip Advisor. I imagine they'll think twice before putting out another Groupon ad, though honestly they should be thankful for the money it brought them instead of constantly insulting the people on here that just want to speak their mind about their experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank HotaruMiang
AlpineChalet, Owner at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Baffling review from baffling guest. Here are the facts of this visitor: Firstly, we are widely appreciated by Europeans, North Americans, and guests from all over the world who wish to experience Whisller from the top Chalet, including patrons from the U.S, this is obvious. Your commentary is baffling. Welcome to see our numerous and continuous genuine guest experiences in our on-site guest book etc. We are top ranked, we obviously know what our venue offers our appreciative worldwide clientelle.Your perceptions are indeed subjective, the flat screens have volume control and are able to viewed all night if you wish, We do have respectful and appreciated curfew times for jacuzzi usage and the majority of sensible reasonable people understand why and how this integrates into the wellness aspect.
Next, the mass majority appreciate hygiene and cleanliness of bottled soft soaps and hygienic shower pumps (amazingly, the actual product is poured into the pumps), if you do not, that is your preference. Yes, you are nit picky and when you say 'good for them' on the many positivesreluctantly mentioned, your agenda seems clear.... We are very clear of who our typical clientelle are, and what we bring forward, group coupon services control their ad material, they write their own material. Good luck being happy on your travels.