“Amazing and Very Cozy”

Ranked #7 of 10 Whistler B&B and Inns
vancouver, british columbia
“Amazing and Very Cozy”
Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed a night in this beautiful Chalet. The rooms and common areas were immaculate. The hosts were very friendly and helpful. I especially enjoyed the wood-burning fireplace in the living room and the steam shower.
I recommend this hotel to anybody travelling with their partner or with family.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank goagz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Victoria
Reviewed March 19, 2011

I got a discounted wellness and recuperation 2-night package for the chalet from Groupon. The package was described on the Groupon page and on the chalet's website as including 2 yoga classes per day, a wellness and nutrition seminar, afternoon tea, and as having a hot tub with views of Alta Lake.

I booked a few weeks in advance and informed them that I was using the Groupon discount. The staff were courteous and very professional, and very accomodating when I had to move my reservation one day. I picked weekdays for our stay as I thought that would mean that Whistler would be less busy.

When we got there we were impressed by the butler, Wayne, who was absolutely helpful and professional; however, we were surprised to find out that there were no yoga classes being offered at this time, nor the wellness seminar and the afternoon tea consisted of a self-serve station with a kettle for boiling water and packages or coffee, hot chocolate and tea bags in the lounge area.

Another huge disapointment was the hot tub. Since we were the only guests using it, it felt like it was our own private hot tube; but it did not have views of Alta Lake, rather, it is surrounded by wodden fencing with some trees over the top of the fence, and it was slimy, dirty and slippery.

Breakfast was excellent, and Louisa was warm, friendly and served us very well. We felt very well taken care of by Louisa and Wayne and want to stress that our poor review of the chalet does not in any way reflect the service we received from them. They are staff there and have no control over what the owners chose to offer the guests. When we mentioned to them that we were disappointed in the fact that yoga classes were not offered, they were shocked that the person taking the reservation did not inform us of this.

Since we got a discounted package for those 2 nights it ended up paying $275 a night instead of the regular price of $319 so we didn't lose out on any money. The bone of contention for us though is the fact that we went there expecting it to be a wellness retreat and ended up getting a regular B+B that we could have booked anywhere and probably for less. That along with the false advertising (they don't have a chef on-site, no afternoon tea and the hot tub does not have views of Alta Lake) made our first impression of the chalet rather disappointing and guarantees that we will not go back or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lulu123Victoria
AlpineChalet, Guest Relations Manager at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, April 19, 2011
Thank you for your feedback we strive to ensure all guests continue to enjoy a relaxing getaway. Your feedback helps us ensure we continue to provide an tranquil environment that allows you opportunity for rest , indulge in yoga , enjoy healthy gourmet breakfasts and interact with friendly and knowledgeable staff , aiming to provide a stress free holiday. Your, wellness is important to us.
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 16, 2011

Before I even start, I am prepared for a rebuttal from this lodging's management. I hope discerning Tripadvisor readers will still at least take into consideration what I have to say, without assuming that I must be some sort of disrespectful and uncultured "immature" person who made the wrong choice about where to stay in Whistler.

First off, don't run a Groupon deal in the United States and Canada if you pride yourself on serving a "mature and European" clientele.

Secondly, please state your many rules (which are unlike any I've experienced and despite what the hotel management might think I have actually done some travelling and no, it wasn't just to get drunk and eat mediocre greasy food). At least at the time of our stay in February nowhere did it say on the Groupon, the website, or even over the phone when we booked our rooms that we would have an 11:00 curfew, a no drinks/food policy in the room (which, by the way is very difficult on those of us who may have to take medication with a little bit of food at odd hours - sneaking downstairs in total darkness to get to the communal area in order to access anything edible I brought was ridiculous), or a shoes-off policy.

In fact, while they do tell you about the no shoes policy and the no food/drink in the rooms upon your arrival, they do NOT tell you about the curfew until you get up to your room with a letter in an envelope that states "A gentle reminder - please be back before 11:00." How can it be a reminder when I was never told in the first place?

This place is very confused about what it wants to be. They tout a gourmet breakfast but I urge Tripadvisor readers to look at recent reviews and take them seriously - this is truly not a great breakfast experience, and no I am not looking for hash browns and sausage in the morning, believe it or not (for instance, I've stayed at a great 5 star resort called Salish here in Washington and that is a true gourmet breakfast). A tiny muffin that was identical to the ones I make out of Betty Crocker instant mix is not gourmet. A plate with browning apple and banana slices is not gourmet. Neither is one scrambled egg, two pieces of bacon, and a couple stalks of asparagus. Healthy? Sure. Gourmet? No. If you read the management's responses to recent reviews they are full of extreme hyperbole and exaggeration about the level of food.

Despite the fact that we were American, under age of 35, and part of the Groupon promotion, we were all extremely polite, quiet, and mindful of the rules. Despite this, we were met with cold and icy service. I felt like I was constantly doing something to offend the staff, just by being there. I don't know how to describe it exactly, but it just felt uncomfortable. I acknowledge this is my own perspective and completely subjective. However, I know I was not the only one when a couple across the room from us at breakfast looked around guiltily just because their chair made noise on the floor when they pushed it back to stand up. As if they were doing something wrong!

The rooms were pretty nice, overall. However, you can't watch TV in the evening, or use your jacuzzi tub in the evening past a certain hour. I don't remember the time, but it was definitely before the 11:00 curfew.

The place is really a 3 star experience, overall. The thing that knocks a star off for me is the lack of clarity about the lodge on its website (unless its changed since we stayed here last month), and more importantly - the management's response to reviews. It has been exaggeration at best, and outright condescending and offensive at worst. Their continual references to less "mature" people, failure to acknowledge that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and huge assumptions that just because someone didn't like their breakfast that somehow makes them desiring of a night of debauchery and greasy spoon fare to soak it up in the morning is ridiculous and disrespectful to people who paid money to stay there. If you want to stay somewhere where your character is judged for better or worse, this is the place to go, I guess.

And just to clarify some other things - they have ONE hot tub (not hot TUBS as was stated in the last management response), and one steam shower room of sorts that is extremely small. Also, if you want to sit and enjoy the nice leather furniture with a drink in the common area, you will not get the "quiet" the management is so fond of referencing. In fact, you will listen to bad plumbing noises coming from the nearby bathroom, loud sounds from a laundry room, and some sort of unidentifiable loud ringing noise. Normally, I wouldn't nitpick about this sort of thing, but if you're going to go on and on and on about how peaceful your chalet is, I am going to clarify the situation from a paying guest's perspective.

Some other not-so-resort-like qualities included Soft Soap plastic handsoap dispensers and a shampoo dispenser in the shower as opposed to actual products.

Overall, the bed was comfy, I will say that. The balcony was a nice feature though the only view was of some very nearby trees. The fireplace was nice. They do keep the place clean, so good for them. The service wasn't rude, necessarily, just awkward at times. It was nice to have free parking. And the location is nice, within quick driving distance of the Village. So there are pros to staying here if you're the type that likes being extremely quiet, and going to bed by 11:00. And that's absolutely fine if the chalet wants to cater only to those types, but they need to start being extremely clear about it, and not just on Trip Advisor. I imagine they'll think twice before putting out another Groupon ad, though honestly they should be thankful for the money it brought them instead of constantly insulting the people on here that just want to speak their mind about their experience.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank HotaruMiang
AlpineChalet, Owner at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Baffling review from baffling guest. Here are the facts of this visitor: Firstly, we are widely appreciated by Europeans, North Americans, and guests from all over the world who wish to experience Whisller from the top Chalet, including patrons from the U.S, this is obvious. Your commentary is baffling. Welcome to see our numerous and continuous genuine guest experiences in our on-site guest book etc. We are top ranked, we obviously know what our venue offers our appreciative worldwide clientelle.Your perceptions are indeed subjective, the flat screens have volume control and are able to viewed all night if you wish, We do have respectful and appreciated curfew times for jacuzzi usage and the majority of sensible reasonable people understand why and how this integrates into the wellness aspect.
Next, the mass majority appreciate hygiene and cleanliness of bottled soft soaps and hygienic shower pumps (amazingly, the actual product is poured into the pumps), if you do not, that is your preference. Yes, you are nit picky and when you say 'good for them' on the many positivesreluctantly mentioned, your agenda seems clear.... We are very clear of who our typical clientelle are, and what we bring forward, group coupon services control their ad material, they write their own material. Good luck being happy on your travels.
Reviewed March 13, 2011

If you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy yourself go somewhere else. I am sure they have their reasons but the "rules" are simply over the top. They start with a no shoes policy which was fine but the 11:00 PM curfew, no drinks in your room etc are just too much.

The king bed was two twins pushed together with a wedge of foam between to fill the gap, if you go just get a queen bed. As well the temperature seemed to fluctuate during our stay, during the day there were periods when the room was cold and at night it was hot.

The hot tub was not very hot but that was okay I was able to stay in it for awhile however it was a little murky. It would have been nice if the ice on the walkway near the tub had been shovelled, it was cold and slippery. I am not talking about fresh show.

Breakfast was a disappointment, Nothing special, yogurt with fruit and granola, scrambled egg on an english muffin topped with some smoked salmon and a freshly baked muffin with a frozen berry in the centre. I do not know how they managed to keep the berry frozen.

The young lady on duty was pleasant and helpful (the highlight). She was there when we arrived at 1:00 PM and still there at 9:30 PM and again at 8:00 AM the next day. But I guess in that business you can work your foreign labor until they drop.

If you want a quiet stay and do not have high expectations this could be fine if you do not pay too much.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank skifiend_11
AlpineChalet, Guest Relations Manager at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Whistler Alpine Chalet is a Retreat & Wellness Chalet caters to a mature crowd who value sleep, rest and relaxation. The chalet etiquette is centered around wellness ...wellness entails a good night sleep, extremely clean environment all of which can only be obtained by a 11pm curfew, no shoes and no food in rooms policy. All of our rooms have their own temperature controls in the room, allowing you to adjust your room to your preference.

A promotion that we recently ran has attracted a very young demographic who does not understand the concept of an European chalet that is found in the French Alps and abroad. Travellers who have maturity and are well travelled throughout Europe are our usual clientele (as per previous reviews prior to the promotion) who appreciate finely crafted European chalet that has the luxuries of flat screen tv’s, ipod stations, steam rooms , hot tubs, yoga classes , 500 count linen and breakfasts that are balanced, healthy and nutritious....not a greasy spoon. Our chefs have worked in chalets across Europe and on luxury yachts and are accomplished to ensuring health and energy is perfectly maintained.

Our guest book daily has comments that range from...this is the best sleep we have in years, to the rooms are a delight, breakfast was so yummy and healthy to thank you for introducing wellness to our life. We will continue to strive to have the etiquette in place to ensure well travelled guests have a stress free and completely relaxing holiday. For travellers who are used to drinking in rooms, partying until wee hours of the morning and a greasy breakfast afterwards we are not the right fit for you.
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This place is quite nice. It is new, the rooms are not big, but adequate. They were clean and modern. The no shoe policy, and 11pm curfew is a bit different, but I suppose it's in the spirit of cleanliness and quiet.
The one major disappointment was the three course "gourmet" breakfast. I'm not sure where to start, but this was a let down. The coffee could have been great, but essentially low budget coffee. The tea was the no-name brand from the local super market. The food was nice looking, but cold, and likely made an hour or so earlier etc. A simpler menu, done well, would have been better. We had the sense that the owners don't really appreciate or recognize the value of food. I suppose this is nit picking from an otherwise beautiful place...but it's those small details that make a difference, especially for a hotel marketing itself as "boutique."

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lagoon9
AlpineChalet, Owner at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, February 28, 2011
We appreciate your commentary and review. For clarity, our chef begins fresh baking at 6-7AM each morning, with a varied daily gourmet breakfast which, by all guestbook entries and in-person visceral feelings conveyed, have been phenomenally received by overnight stays and long term stay guests alike, consistently. It is one of the most enjoyable aspects versus a commonly offered continental breakfast. Guests, at times, seem to forget this. Perhaps the time one comes down for breakfast may have been the reason an item may have not been just out of the oven. Coffee and tea in our daily usage station for guests contains basic and other varieties, simply ask and yee shall receive, we must carry an assortment for all people's tastes. We dont charge for this, any other hotel would and does. Being a boutique hotel and wellness retreat as well, we are ever conscious of what we have the chef prepare, we take the time and effort to ask regarding dietary considerations etc, giving a certain latitude of creativity in how they create their magic. Given this, we disagree with your commentary regarding ownerships' appreciation of the value of food in a guests experience, it is simply not a knowledgeable assumption. Focus on positivity, and happy travels !
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2011

I was very disapointed in my stay at alpine and will never return ever again. The employees are nice except the owner and front desk lady with may be his wife.They watch people doing everything making it very uncomfortable to stay in this hotel. They are rude and have no customer service.I rather take my money elsewhere and enjoy my stay in a relaxing enviroment. If your looking for a nice stay in whistler glaciers reach has nice condos with no hassle and beautiful views.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
7 Thank sunny2219
AlpineChalet, Owner at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, February 23, 2011
The facts of this guest stay are as follows: Nice and respectful young couple, enjoy a one night stay at the Chalet, thoroughly enjoyed their stay, overstayed past checkout relaxing in the lounge, and commented very favorably in our on-site guest book regarding their entire stay and service. Just prior to departing, despite being advised during the tour that all gear must be stored in the storage lockers, with access in and out of the Chalet from that area, ie snowboards/skis/boots etc, they proceeded to compile their gear, allowing their snowboard to fall on edge onto the hardwood floor with a very loud bang that we ourselves and guests heard throughout. It had chipped the hardwood floor, so of course we are going to assess and advise that we have their contact details for incidentals etc. They then proceed to bring all this gear thru to the Chalet front lobby, when advised repeatedly, and just reminded, not to do so.

After leaving a very favorable commentary in our own guest book regarding the content of their experience, it would seem they decided to look to grind about anything. We have many valued guests that come to Whistler Alpine to enjoy all that Whistler has to offer, they are busy with outdoor adventure or relaxing within the Chalet etc. Monitoring guests activities - impossible, arranging for their varied activities - yes absolutely, responding to damages - yes, absolutely.
When guests choose to overshadow the actual content of their lovely getaway experience, by an accident that they are held accountable for, it is unfortunate the separating of the two is not maintained. Our valued guests continue to enjoy our long standing brand of top calibre service, value, suites, ideal four-season location, cleanliness, and unmatched sleep quality at Whistler Alpine.
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I spend one night at this hotel last weekend. I was really excited after reading the great reviews this place gets and looking at their website. First, once we found the place (casue their sign is very small), we had to walk through a snow covered driveway to the door, just to find it locked. We rang the doorbell (at this point we are thinking we are at the wrong place) and our "butler" open the door. the first thing I noticed is that he has no shoes on, which seemed kind of odd at a hotel.
So, next thing we know, is out "butler" is giving us the "rules" of the hotel:
1) this is a no shoe resort (???) (I never read that on their website) but we could leave our shoes on a locked storage at the lobby and were more than welcome to use their slippers (which were all in a drawer and were previously used)
2) no eating or drinking is allowed in your room (so forget that nice bottle of wine you brought to drink at your room after a day out in the snow), oh, but you can drink it downstairs at the lunch room.
3) Curfew is at 11 pm (yes, you read that right, curfew)

Then we went for the tour of the faciltiy. They have one stretch room (where they have yoga lessons, I think) a small lunch room with 4 tables, two couches to sit and have your drink (that you can't have in your room) a hot tub outside (the best feature of the hotel) and the steam room, well, that is what they call it, but it is a shower that fits one person and steam comes out the bottom. I can't beging to imagine how that is convenient when you have 3 or 4 people waitting to use the steam room!

Our room was OK it was small, but the bed was comfortable.
So, since curfew is at 11, because they invite a "relaxing atomosphere' we were in our room and I could here this baby crying through the paper thin walls of our room. the baby was next door and cryed until past midnight. So, I am not allowed to come to my room after 11 but infants are allowed to cry until past midnight? I am all about babies, but, I think if the owners of the hotel want to sell the hotel as "retreat and wellness", maybe they should consider allowing adults only, or get rid of their many rules and allow for people to enjoy themsleves when they are on holidays.

Well, after all that, I only want to mention that the "gourmet" breakfast, was yoghurt with granola (which was tasty), a dry waffle and a muffin. How is this gourmet???

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Gigi1403
AlpineChalet, Owner at Whistler Alpine Chalet Retreat & Wellness, responded to this review, February 16, 2011
When you come to Whistler amidst record snowfall which is par for the season, and what most look forward to, you can expect snow on the ground. Yes, we indeed have Chalet rules with respect to all guests expectations. We are indeed a 'shoe-less' Chalet, we do have an 11pm curfew that our guests respect and enjoy, opting for a more tranquille environment than the late night and early morning comings and goings of a less mature crowd, unrespecting of others desire to have the peace and quiet, and restful sleep renowned at Whistler Alpine's Chalet's location. You cant complain about a baby, and yet expect to be enabled to stay out till the early hours of the morning disturbing others. Correct, we do not allow wine, drinks or food in the suites, as we have 120 thread count Frette linens that our appreciative clientelle recognize and respect. Any food or wine stains etc would cost you incidental costs that are quite high, therefore, we are proactively saving you potential costs from spillage. We have a lovely dining and lounge area for this as instructed on the tour.
Belgian waffles with fruit and yoghurt/granola parfait, fresh fruit, and home made fresh muffins, on this day, were extremely well received, appreciated, while providing the much needed energy for an active day. Clearly, those few that are only use to large hotel chains, versus the European Chalet niche product, that look for any negatives, will surely find them, Happy travels...