“Great for families in Winter!”
Review of Tantalus Lodge

Tantalus Lodge
Ranked #24 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Me and my family (5 adults and 2 kids) stayed in the tantalus for an 8 night stay for 2008 new years eve.

We booked a two room apartment and it was great, 2 single beds in each one and and a medium size living room which had a nice sofa/bed you can easily accomodate 6 adults with no problems.

We had a full kitchen, microwave, oven, refrigerator etc. and a dining room for 6, trust the photos in the website.

The Lodge also has nice facilities, like pool, sauna, a locker room for skis and equipment, parking (for a $16 fee) and more

The two most important things its the friendly staff and the location just a 7 minute walk to the lifts and the town, and inf you don want to walk there is a shuttle.

Great location, for a fair price.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Tantalus Lodge

Reviewed August 19, 2007

This would be an okay selection if you were getting a good deal and looking to save some money. We booked it as part of our mountain bike package, and paid about the same as a nicer place right in the village. So it was a huge disappointment to us.

It's about a 5 minute walk to the south end of the village. The walk is over a hill, up and down both ways. Part of the charm of Whistler is the ability to stay right in the village, where nothing is more than an easy 3 minute walk away. This hotel doesn't offer that.

Also, because we booked as part of a mountain bike package, we were given rooms assumed to be occupied by partying frat boys. Our phone could not make outgoing phone calls and we didn't have the advertised internet access. Everything that was broken or worn out was not replaced.

This hotel books a lot of high school group trips. There was shouting and running down the halls at all hours of the morning.

And finally, I wasn't impressed with the staff. I slept in one morning. The maid walked into our room without knocking or announcing herself. We had a 2 bedroom apartment, so when I heard someone out in the kitchen and other bathroom, I assumed it was one of my friends. Then she walked into my room, where I had gotten out of bed and was just about to get dressed (I was in pjs). Again, no knock. When she saw me, she INFORMED me that she was going to clean my bathroom. I asked if she could wait as I was in the process of using it. "No, I need to clean it." After some arguement, she agreed to "come back later", which apparently just meant she would go to another part of the apartment for a few minutes. I was dressed, but still in the bedroom a few minutes later when she came back and walked into the bathroom and started cleaning. I stay in a LOT of hotels (17 weeks out of the country last year alone), and this is completely unusual. They are supposed to knock, when nobody answers, they usually come in while calling out "Hello? Housekeeping." And if they discover that someone is still in the room, they apologize and leave. They don't argue with the guest!

• Stayed: August 2007
4  Thank amberm1
Reviewed August 12, 2007

recently stayed for two nights. originally had booked it for about $270/night and then saw an add for $170/night. glad we paid a little less. it was very spacious, two bedroom and two bathroom was great. large dining area and decent kitchen. good size balcony too. one of the two couches desperately needed to be replaced as you sunk so low on it when you sat down. the lighting was HORRIBLE. very dark in the rooms. tv's in each bedroom would have been a nice touch as would have some garbage cans. for $170/night for whistler, we were pleased...if we paid anymore, we might have been disappointed. they also charge $16/night extra for each vehicle which sort of sucked.
great location. nice pool and hot tubs and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed August 7, 2007

Overall I think we got a great deal for the price we paid. We had a group of 5 and the room fit us comfortably. There were two bathrooms which made it easier for the number of people in our group. There was one king, two twins, a pull out couch and a regular couch, enough room to sleep 6 or 7 people comfortably. The room had a full kitchen and dining table and we were able to prepare meals there when we weren't in the mood to dine out. We must have had one of the better rooms compared with ones that were described in other reviews because the room was very clean and didn't look old or dated. Although it is a short walk to the lifts and village, there is always the shuttle you can catch if you're too tired to walk or need a ride further in the village. The hotel has wireless internet access so if you are planning on bringing your computer, there are areas you can go to use the internet. I am definitely planning on staying at Tantalus Lodge on my next trip to Whistler and would recommend it to others who are planning on staying there.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We just returned from 3 nights at The Tantalus Resort Lodge, which is in a great location for exploring Whistler. Got a good deal with Travelocity, but the low prices (for Whistler) get you a very old and somewhat damaged 2-bdrm/2-bath suite. Broken screen, electrical outlets not working, torn and very worn furniture. The Lodge is currently being renovated for the 2010 Olympics and it really needs it. The suite lay-out is good and the kitchen fairly well-equipped, but don't book unless you can get a renovated room.

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed May 18, 2007

Just a short walk (5min, maby a little longer carrying ski equipment) from the hotel to the gondola that takes you up to the mountain. Very spacious place with full kitchen and two bathrooms. My friends and i stayed here for a weekend in May and had a great time. We had a 2 bedroom condo with a balcony on the fourth floor(great view of snow toped mountains). we were pleasently surprised to find it had two bathrooms. The spring skiing was amazing! the bed were comfy(even the pull out was pretty good) my only complaint was the starchy polyester sheets, but who goes to whistler for the sheets anyway! what i liked best about this accomadation was that it was slightly apart from the 'down town' village core and seemed remarkably peaceful after a long day skiing. If you like a little music bring your own sterio. There was no radio or sterio to be found in our condo. I would absolutly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Zoom_the_world
A TripAdvisor Member
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We stayed here for 4 nights. The property shows its age. I hope they do MAJOR upgrade before the Olympics in 2010. It is a 5 minute walk to Whistler center and you must walk up and down a hill that really gets your heart pumping. If you golf, the driving range is just out the front door and around corner. Tantalus has no air conditioning, which meant it was warm during the day. Since we didn't stay in the room during the day, it was not a problem for us. It gets cool at night, with the windows open (we needed a blanket!). This property apparently hosts most of the summer ski schools for kids, so they can be a little loud as they run through halls/outside. Lots of space for the money. The beds were rock hard (my daughter chose to sleep on the sofa instead of on her bed) and the room is very basic setup. Our lock on the patio door was broken so it would not lock. They charged $1.00 to make a local phone call and $13.50 per day to park the car in a nearly empty below ground parking garage. We wanted to leave our car in garage on the last day until we left (after checkout), but were forced to pay for another full day's parking to do so. It felt like this hotel was run by foreign (not US or Canadian) ownership. They wanted to nickle and dime you for everything and having worn drapes, bedspreads, carpet, etc. is acceptable. The outside needed painting badly. It wouldn't really take all this much to make this into a nice place to stay. If you need lots of space, only want the room to sleep and are on a tight budget, this is your place. I would not even attempt to try to walk to lifts in ski boots.

• Stayed: June 2006