“A dinner(and dessert) to remember! ”
Review of Aura Restaurant

Aura Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Aura Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #64 of 195 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: * AURA is currently closed while undergoing a complete renovation and will be reopening in early December 2017. Fresh. Casual. Local. Inspired and influenced by our people, our place and our produce, AURA creates a casual and comfortable dining experience in a unique lakeside setting. Whether it's freshly-caught salmon from the west coast of BC or black trumped mushrooms foraged from the forest around us, we create unforgettable dishes using lovingly-harvested seasonal ingredients and then we share it with friends.
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant has very elegant, warm, cosy interior. The staff is really nice and helpful, but most importantly the food is stunning. I ate a salad made with greens from their own garden with delicious sherry dressing. Then I had a superb duck breast with cherries, which was a bit raw, but it didn't spoil my overall opinion. The best thing though was the dessert. I ordered marinated strawberries with meringues and sorrel sorbet- yes, sorrel sorbet. At first I was a bit worried, because I had never eaten sorrel in a sweet way, but the result was far beyond my expectations. It was simply otherworldly! It was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten (and I have eaten quite a lot of them :) ). I definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone interested in modern cuisine, something way out of the ordinary. Very creative, very good!

1  Thank Tomek S

Reviewed July 20, 2014

See my review of Nita Lake Lodge, but I just have to say that this was our best meal in BC (and we ate in some great places, esp. in Tofino on Vancouver Island). Aura did some particularly great things with sweetcorn that you need to check out...!

1  Thank Andrew M
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I loved everything about our meal here. The view of the lake is stunning, the food was special and the wine was amazing. Worth every penny and more. Try the tuna tostada or the oysters or the gnocchi - or anything quite frankly! It was all delicious, well sized and tasty. A special place with fine dining and a relaxed atmosphere.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

The service is superb and the prices are great. It catered wonderfully to my wife's gluten free needs. Don't go into Whistler

Reviewed June 1, 2014

If you are reading this it is probably because you want the sad details. However, I will spare you some of the litany of what made this one of the most painful meals I have had in a while. Needless to say we had some very poor service. Which was then followed up by some food that was okay, but nothing I would return for.

The portions in my opinion (and yes, I regularly go to fine dining) were small. The portion of fish was about 2 ounces from what we could tell. And the pasta that a co-diner ordered was about 8-10 pieces of small ravioli. I am sure that the restaurant may be surprised to hear this, but we did actually take photos of the food in disbelief.

I will share what happened at the end of over 3 hours of "dining". Although we knew it would be in the best interest of the restaurant to explain our strife to the management we all just wanted to leave. After an already 18% mandatory gratuity was added we were all begrudedly paying our bills. At that point one of the diners handed over cash to another staff (manager?) and asked for change. After that point the server came over and asked her if she wanted her change (which would have given him over a 50% tip). She was irritated and said yes. When he returned he brought her only $5.25. Which I am sure you can now see why we informed management to our dismay.

The shortest version I can make this story at this point is that after looking forward for quite a while to this dinner we did not even feel the management really took care of us and only because of the negative energy that this meal brought me I will not personally return.

3  Thank Diane R
NitaManager, Manager at Aura Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear guest, thank you for your honesty with bringing the issues with your dining experience in Aura to our attention. Having comments such as yours really helps us to identify what had the biggest impact on your visit to Aura and how we can improve. We strive to provide a level of service which is attentive, customized and personal and I am truly sorry that this was not the case during your visit to Aura Restaurant. If you would like to discuss your experience further, please contact me.

stephanie@nitalakelodge.com Food and Beverage Director