“Great Location”
Review of Blackcomb Lodge

Blackcomb Lodge
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I wished we would have noticed that in the 2 bedroom condo, that the bottom main floor bed is actually two twins. We tried pushing them together to make one bed for my husband and I, but then you have the crack down the middle and the bed covering does not allow for one bed. Then there are 2 twin beds upstairs also. The picture is very deceiving for the "one large bed" downstairs, since it is two twin beds. Only about 2 large blocks from the front door to the lifts, great location for shopping and eating too. The condo's mini kitchen was lacking 2 important items: any type of pan to place in the oven, there wasn't anything and some type of scrub brush or scrub sponge to wash the "eggs" out of the fry pan for example. The patrons of the Max Fish Bar across the street woke us up every night around 2:15am; very loud. Citta's across the street, great service, great beer and good food. One of the best prices we could find also. The Grocery Store across the street was expensive, but after walking down to the larger Whistler Marketplace grocery store we found it was pretty much the same outrageous prices (double the cost of anything you would buy in the U.S.). There is a mandatory ski check in the lobby of the lodge, and they do not monitor who takes the skis out of the ski check, you could basically just grab any pair you like. Luckily, our skis were not taken. The hot tub is in the basement (not outside), enclosed in 4 walls. It is kept "warm" not hot. This was a nice condo, no frills or extras. Shower was good; towels, coffee supplies re-stocked daily. They didn't really make up the beds for us very often.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ReddingNorCalGal

Reviewed August 28, 2010

A very nice hotel to stay in. We got a great rate here and we were aware of the overnight parking fee as well as the wireless internet fee. Had I not been aware of these two extra fees I would not have been so pleased with it.

Our room was a large studio with full kitchen and a comfortable king bed. The bathroom was immaculate with all the amenities.

The staff were friendly and very helpful and the parking was easy....just off the lobby entrance. From the opposite lobby entrance you find yourself on the village walk and in the centre of Whistler villaqe.

All in all a great stay and look forward to going back.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2010

My 9 year old grand daughter and myself stayed for a week at the start of April this year. We arrived jetlagged, and the little one was ill, however hotel staff went out of their way to have our studio loft appartment ready for us. We had no complaints of noise at all, the beds were comfy, pillows great, cable TV, bath and shower, full cooking, dishwasher, spa, sauna, pool, very friendly helpful staff and manager and owner. You would be very hard pressed to find such fantastic accomodation within easy walking distance of everything. I think anyone who could find fault with the hotel is a professional whinger. The only pitfall I found was a shortage of bench space, but you easily work around that. If we ever return, no way would I consider staying anywhere else. Highly recommended to all people, young, old, families, a good mix of people. The cleaners were fantastic and did the rooms to a high standard and very friendly. Just steps away from ski hire, pubs, drug store, grocery store, and tourist info.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Upon arrival, we immediately noticed that the room was hot. We proceeded to turn on the A/C which was blowing warm air even on the "high cool" setting. The front desk sent up a fan to the room to help until maintenance could come in the morning. In the a.m. I went down to the front desk to ask for maintenance to come up and fix the A/C. The front desk person said that we "shouldn't expect the air conditioner to cool the entire room" and he suggested that we had " overheated the air conditioner by running it constantly". I told him that we had just checked in at 10pm the night before and the A/C was not on at all. I also told him that I do expect the A/C to cool the entire room because it's a small room. The maintenance person replaced the filter and the A/C did work a little bit better but still not normally. The remote control for the DVD player did not work and we had to wait a day to get a new one. The bike storage area was located in the parking deck which anyone can access because the door was left open. We did not feel safe leaving our bikes down there. Finally, at checkout , our car was ticketed even though we were parked in the check in/out space. I will never stay at this hotel again sorry to say.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NHCIII
Reviewed April 11, 2010

I actually tried to change our choice of hotel because of all the bad reviews on here - I am so glad we didn't! The service was excellent, the room was perfect with all the amenities you could need. There was absolutely NO NOISE whatsoever!! Perfect night's sleep on all 11 nights. The loft room made it so spacious for the four of us. The ski valet service is the best I have ever had - so obliging. The position could not be better for access to the lifts and to the shops - there is a supermarket right opposite. The pool, jacuzzi and sauna are super additions to the accommodation. As my wife said, "we could not have chosen a better place to stay in Whistler".

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 24, 2010

This hotel has a great location, only a short walk from the lifts. The rooms are good but housekeeing left a bit to be desired. They only have to make the bed, empty the bins and change the towels, but to be quite honest a five year old could have made a better job of making the bed. I felt they were short staffed and run off their feet as they were sometimes coming to do the room at 4/5:00 p.m.

The reception staff were not warm and welcoming especially Shelli, if you get her, forget it. The most sullen and rude person I have ever met. If you get Danielle, you are on to a good thing, always helpful and smiling even under adversity.

The noise level if you have a room facing the square goes on from 10:30 until 3:00 a.m. so try and book one of the quiet rooms. If you are booking through the UK travel companies, you will not get this option, so beware. The drug store is next door, go purchase some good earplugs and get to bed before the noise starts or you will never get to sleep. The other alternative is to go out and join the crowd until 3:00.

We have stayed in lots of lively resorts in Europe who manage to keep the noise contained and still allow people to have a good time, but Whistler doesn't seem to have grasped this concept.

I would recommend this hotel for its location but that is all,

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowhy
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Blackcomb lodge is in a great location in Whistler village, but there are loads of other places nearly as well located that are just nicer. For the price i paid (more than $350/night for 2 people in one King bed) I would expect more. plain and simple. It was a terrible value for the money; if it were about half that, i might look the other way about some of the issues (the shower, dusty bed, and total lack of service).

I had the worst daily showers there of anywhere I've been. The water didn't even have enough pressure to make it out of the showerhead--it just trickled down. After a long day of snowboarding, I want a nice shower, not to have to huddle under a tiny stream of water. I called the front desk about this 2x and both times they said they'd send someone to look at it, but "we're pretty 'low flow' all over the property, so...". Nobody ever came.

If you have allergies at all, I'd avoid this property as it is incredibly dusty.

We stayed on the "Village Stroll" side of the hotel, which was a bit noisy, but that's the tradeoff for being in a central location in the village. I had no real issue with the noise if the rest of the property was better maintained.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple