“Massive and massively overpriced”
Review of Whistler Blackcomb

Whistler Blackcomb
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Blackcomb Mountain Winter Snowmobile Tour
Ranked #2 of 32 Nature & Parks in Whistler
More attraction details
Owner description: Whistler Blackcomb is consistently ranked the No. 1 ski resort in North America with over 8,171 acres of terrain. As a true four season resort, Whistler Blackcomb offers skiing and snowboarding in the winter and downhill mountain biking and alpine hiking in the summer. Guests can even enjoy summer skiing/riding on the Horstman Glacier in June and July. At Whistler Blackcomb, there is something for everyone all year long.
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Here is the thing about Whistler: The runs are long and there are lots of them. And the village is nice. But how that has given Whistler the reputation it has, I'm not sure. Most people aren't skiing back country, and I feel that is what is often referenced in regard to Whistler. MOST people are skiing the groomed runs. I can't believe how much they have upped the price in the last 2 years. Over 15%. It is now $115 to get a lift ticket if you show up at the ticket booth that day. Residents of BC and washington can get a pass for $90 or so if they plan ahead of time.

I know Whistlerblackomb is huge and people say that's what you are paying for. But the issue is, you cannot cover both mountains in one day. So why do you have to pay for it? WAY back in the day, you used to be able to buy a pass for one or the other (or both). But now they make you buy for both. I really wish they would return to the old system. But why would they when they can rack in the money this way. Whistler is all about ripping you off the most they possibly can. 3 years ago, free parking if you parked in the basic lot. Now it's $8. Lunch will cost you $20 at the lodge. And unless you go at just the right time, they don't actually groom most of their runs each day. Now I'm not necessarily a fan of groomed, but when there is no snow for several days, not grooming means that you're riding in bunch of ruts and mounded snow.

The fact is, Whistler has ZERO competition and they can charge whatever they want, and will. I grew up skiing in Tahoe where I had 20 resorts to choose from. That created better pricing and more variety. Is Whistler bigger? Yes. Is it better? No. It has a village which most places don't, but many do and don't charge $115.

I go to Whistler about once a year. I used to ski every single weekend in Tahoe. I simply can't afford to do that here. Whistler is a huge mountain with a lot of runs, but they have no interest in making it affordable for people to enjoy. It's a pure money grab. I've been to a lot of resorts all over North America. It's the worst in this regard. Though they are all clearly after money, Whistler robs you basically. If I grew up in Whistler, I would likely have never become a skier. I couldn't have afforded it.

3  Thank DexSolo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,393)
All reviews
in 33 reviews
"bucket list"
in 32 reviews

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Still had a bit of snow, was partly cloudy and not very busy, so a good day to walk around the Village and take pictures. Now I have seen the ski areas and know what to expect if we come here skiing.There were lifts available to take you up the mountains and do the Peak 2 Peak Gondola, which cost $48 per person, which we did not do even though they said the restaurants were open at the top. Skiing was minimal and restricted to certain areas. There was a world ski fest coming up that weekend which would be interesting to some.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Late Spring skiing is excellent. We enjoyed loads of late season snow, mixed with some blue-bird days. Mountains were lively, but never felt too busy. The only day we faced queues was Good Friday when we had to wait a few minutes to get on the new 6-pack lift at Harmony, but compared to European resorts, this wasn't a proper wait. Because it was late season, the snow was sometimes heavy and wet lower down, so skiing to the bottom wasn't always enjoyable, but so what? The pistes at mid-mountain were all good quality and the bowls and some of the off-piste higher up the mountain were fantastic.

Our 2 teenage boys both enjoyed a week of excellent snowboard lessons from fantastic tutors - big-up to Jon (from Canada) and Billy (from England) for being the best. Not only great fun but also organised a trip to Bounce at Function Junction one evening for the people in the lesson. That is quality service and really added to the holiday.

Some of the on-mountain restaurants were either closed or offered a limited service, but we didn't find that inconvenient. When we did eat on mountain, it was always good quality and good value.

Lift operators were all brilliant - cheerful, friendly and helpful.

My only complaint is that it'll be nearly impossible to ski anywhere else after going to Whistler Blackcomb...

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We had a fantastic 9 days skiing here as a family of skiers of all ages. Our first trip to
N America after years skiing in France and Austria and it was truly great fun. We got lucky with several days of sun and then some overnight snow for the last few days to ensure we experienced Whistler powder - even in April!

There are plenty of easy runs which my 6 year old loved with marked tracks off into the trees. There are also steep blacks like the Dave Murray downhill and marked couliors and bowls as well as marked 'gladed' runs - steep areas of trees which were challenging! The older boys loved the parks - very well set up with multiple rails and kickers.

We managed to time being here with the Ski and Snowboard festival - seeing heroes like James Woods and Gus Kenworthy made this a trip to remember.

Food on the mountain was not cheap - we tended to easily pay more than 10 dollars per person. Best place we found was the hut at the top of the crystal chair - amazing waffles plus chilli and soups.