“Disappointing”

Whistler Heli-Skiing
Ranked #12 of 56 Tours in Whistler
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: British Columbia is the world capital of heli-skiing, boasting abundant snow, pristine glaciers and terrain other areas dream of. Whistler Heli-Skiing has exclusive rights to an area of big mountain terrain in the Whistler area that is 54 miles long and 33 miles wide. Here since 1981 and Whistler’s most popular heli-ski company, we ski on 173 glaciers and 475 runs. Make this the year and transform your ski holiday into a dream holiday.
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I went in to change days as we were in town for a while...the trainee staff insisted we must check in now ( which made us late for a meeting). Even though I had already paid, the staff were more concerned with securing my credit card number ( just in case I wanted extra runs on the day) than listening to my questions. I am a good intermediate skier and was concerned I would be out of my depth (!) but thought hey heli-ski is supposed to be the best ski experience right, and I was assured by the staff I would be with skiers of similar ability...plus guidance from the crew. Whilst I left with some concerns and confused as to wether I had successfully changed my day, we were booked.
Day before the flight and I called to check all was still on. At this point I believe I should have been given the option to go another day as on the day of the flight I found that another more experienced group had been brought forward due to potential stormy weather. This meant that not only was I under pressure to keep up, I was also left behind bringing up the rear with a guide who was clearly not impressed with my efforts and offered little to no support or guidance.

Reflecting, I think that maybe my expectation was too high and they would cater for aspiring powder hound, however this expectation was confirmed by the check in team saying I would be fine..so maybe that's where it all went wrong.

I went back to the store and whilst they listened, they didn't really want to hear...after all , they already had already my $800. The response is well practiced (weather, conditions, ability, really sorry ) however I felt robbed of what at should have been a fantastic experience.

Looking at other feedback equally expert skiers can end up underwhelmed by levels/ conditions not matching, so maybe this is something that needs more interaction between staff and customers.

Overall, a disappointing experience to spend your hard earned on...

1  Thank TJHB-Kiwis
WhistlerBlackcomb, Front Office Manager at Whistler Heli-Skiing, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thanks for the feedback, it always helps us to hear the good the bad and the ugly so that we can continue to move forward and serve our clients needs better. You hit the nail on the head with this one. Assessing our guests abilities without seeing them on skis, grouping them with others with similar abilities and expectations and aligning expectations with weather, snow conditions, avalanche hazard and terrain are the three most difficult things we do day in and day out. Fortunately for us we are successful in doing this most of the time; however, as you experienced we are not perfect and for that I’m very sorry.
We are in the business of making memories and all of us at Whistler Heli-skiing strive to help you form the best ones. Your comments have been addressed with our front line staff in our store and I have encouraged them to make sure that everyone leaves with all of their questions answered to the best of our ability. I have also made our guides aware that you were disappointed with the manner in which the tail guide treated you, and that this behavior is unacceptable within our operation. I hope you can accept my apology on behalf of all the staff at Whistler Heli-skiing. We will always strive to be better and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Whistler Heli is the ultimate big mountain skiing experience coupled with amazing service from the time you book till the après. Our group went up as a team event with all different skiing abilities. We managed to get 6 runs in (2 extra) for an all-day experience of fresh powdery snow. Lunch was just enough to keep you going. I do suggest if you like to stay hydrated to bring water with you as there was only juice and tea offered.

Make sure to do your wall sits and squats to get your legs ready for what seems like endless vertical skiing.

Thanks Whistler Heli for a great day!

Andrea

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Thank you so much for another amazing day! The whole group had a blast…from those that had never been in a helicopter to those of us that have been out with you before. It was such a fun day. It was perfect. Andrew and Saku were amazing and made sure that all of the different ability levels of the group felt special, comfortable and well taken care of. I really appreciate all of your efforts to ensure that this was a special day for my team. They really appreciated it…I really appreciated it.

Your team is amazing and I am looking forward to the next trip!

Joel

Reviewed December 20, 2013

For 10 days we have been at Whistler.
Last day has been book for a flight.
Nothing else to say as just : "Marvelous".
Beginnig from booking, till lunch servive at glacier upto guide John and his team.
We never got the feeling to get lost.
Thanks again for that wonderful organization and day.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

If you would like to Watch my Full Video review of this trip please visit
(reviewoutlaw.com/review-of-whistler-heli-skiing-heli-boarding-2013-british-columbia-canada-elite-adventure) Plus more Photos

Here is a Quick Closing on the trip
If I would have done it again I would have gone with the Ultimate Excursion there is 6 runs less people in the group and a smaller helicopter you go to some more extreme locations but all and all I had a lot of fun on the Elite. When picking the Day really check the weather and try to get a nice sunny Day it will make it so much nicer. Half the day was fog the other was sunny for me, they had just had fresh powder about 1ft the day before so if you can get luck with that then that is also a plus. Bring your own Helmet Camera / Camera I would not recommend purchasing there video’s it’s just to much. If you Snowboard then get a lot of speed because if you slow down you will need to walk to catch up with the group at certain points during the trail. You will get 10 times more skiing in on the mountain but the Quality of the runs are the best i have had done in my entire life and would love to do it again!

1  Thank Horrace Y
WhistlerBlackcomb, Front Office Manager at Whistler Heli-Skiing, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thanks for sharing your video Horrace. Glad you had some fresh snow and sunny weather. Hope you will come visit us again in Whistler.