“Excellent steaks, everything else.. just blah”
Review of Sidecut

Sidecut
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidecut is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 198 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Named for the curvature on the side of a ski or snowboard, Sidecut offers a modern take on traditional mountain cuisine. Situated in the celebrated alpine location of Whistler, the restaurant's sleek wood interior offers an inviting setting where diners can cozy up to the open fireplace or dine on our sun soaked patio. Enjoy dishes such as the Steakhouse "Sushi" Roll, Bourbon Birch Braised Belly of Pork, or prime-aged steakhouse cuts, cooked to perfection and inimitably paired with house-made rubs and signature sauces. Featuring a locally-sourced menu that evolves seasonally, the restaurant's farm- and ocean-to-table influence pays homage to British Columbia's diverse fare. To complement any meal, the extensive wine list features international labels as well as an exclusive selection of B.C.'S premier vintages. Here, steak is more than a meal. It's an experience.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ate at Sidecut a few times, as we were staying at the Four Seasons Resort. Our first time there was a Valentines Day dinner, and we chose Sidecut since from the reviews I had been reading it was both high-end and kid-friendly. It was a little strange walking through a rowdy bar/lounge to get to the restaurant, and had I been on a romantic date with the hubby, I would've been a little disappointed since it is hard to have a nice date with a live band playing right beside you. However we were with our kids, so the distraction was welcomed. They have packaged meals you can order for $225 (bottle of wine (up to $80), 2 sides, 2 appetizers, with 36 oz of rib eye etc.), however after reviewing the menu, these actually work out costing more than if you were to order everything separately. Also, if you want different cuts of steak or different meats it doesn't work. Wasn't very impressed with the wine list selections, and thought that the pricing was outrageously high for what they were. Our server wasn't very friendly or helpful, however from reading previous reviews on Open Table I had expected that. Hubby and I each started with a caesar salad. It was a small wedge of romaine lettuce drizzled with a watered down salad dressing. A basket of various scones/cornbread was brought out to the table. Kids each ordered the chicken/rice/veggies off the kids menu, and I was impressed by the full breast of chicken they were each given. Great value for the kids at $8 I believe (although our kids ate free since they are both in the 5 yrs and under category). I had the rib eye, which I thought was outstanding, and hubby had the NY steak which he also enjoyed. I am a bit confused though by having to pick from a variety of rubs that they grill the steak with, and then by the tray of various sauces they bring out. If I am going to eat an expensive steak, I don't want the possibility of potentially ruining it with a "ketchup/HP" sauce which was one of the sauces as described by our server. I want the cook who should be the expert to give me something divine. I don't want to be left to the task of deciding which sauce to put on my steak. After dinner, after waiting for about 15 mins for someone to clear the table and bring us a dessert menu, we sampled pretty much all of the deserts. The chai chocolate bar was rich, ok. The banana cream pie had a pie shell so hard that it was very hard to cut through with a spoon, although the filling was tasty. The kids liked the ice cream cones, and the s'mores brownie/ice-cream dessert. Stayed for another after-dinner drink, and had a good laugh at a table of 4 beside us asking to get moved further into the restaurant away from the noise of the lounge. Yes, definitely not a place to come for a romantic dinner. I overheard a table beside us complaining about their food, and then left before dessert. from the body language of the server, you could tell they really didn't care about the complaint. I don't feel like we got good value here over-all, and I probably wouldn't be back for dinner again.
Oh, we also did breakfast here in the morning. Be prepared to wait for a table if you do not get here early enough. Or wait until later when all the skiers leave to hit the slopes. There is a breakfast buffet for $29.00 (including hot foods) or $22 for continental buffet, however it is very poor compared to your typical 5 star high-end hotel buffet. Just had the basics, no smoked salmon, seafood selections. However beware if you order off the a la carte menu. An omelet will cost you about $18.00, but then YOU WILL PAY $5.00 FOR A COFFEE! Still cheaper if you aren't going to eat a huge plateful of food, but shocking how much they charge for a cup of coffee. With the buffet, all drinks are included. While we LOVED the resort and will be back, we won't eat at the restaurants here based on the lack of perceived value.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I grew up in West Texas where steak is big so coming up here and having a 16oz Bone in Tenderloin steak and having it rare blew my mind. The steak was cooked properly, the #7 rub I added was just enough to really get this steak melting in your mouth. I also had a side of asparagus and it comes with an over easy egg and that blends well with the great steak. The bar tender Max was nice enough to see if the chef could make an order since they don't really like mixing orders for Sidecut and the bar. This place does get packed on the weekends so I would highly suggest reservations in advance to ensure you get to enjoy some of the best steak around!

Reviewed February 12, 2013

And I keep coming back. Went for the first time on thanksgiving 2011 and was impressed. Have been back several times and will continue to do so.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

Three hungry guys and a steakhouse with a steak big enough for two, whats not to like! Classic steakhouse fare with exceptional Four Season's service. Not cheap but you don't feel like youre getting ripped of either.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

This restaurant is all about the meat and fish. We have eaten here before (have stayed at Four Seasons many times and will do again) but this time I must say I was a little disappointed. Perhaps I ordered badly but I have eaten there before and have not felt cheated previously. To start, my partner had seafood antipasti which was wonderful and beautifully presented. I had a salad, well a wedge of iceberg lettuce to be exact. When it arrived I thought it was hilariously funny. It was simply a two halves of the lettuce piled (i.e. cut straight through the centre) on top of each other and drizzled in a blue cheese dressing. A couple of grape tomatoes. That was it.

For main course, my partner had the rack of lamb which he said was one of the best things he had ever eaten. It came in 4 large pieces together with some side vegetables. He could not have been happier.

I ordered the cod which was super tasty – but simply not enough of it. My entire piece of fish was smaller than a single one of my partner’s lamb cuts. My partner thought it was funny and asked the waiter if it was meant to be that size and we were assured it was.

Whilst tasty, there was simply not enough on the plate to make it a main course.

They really need to look at the menu and portion size in my view. Whilst service and ambience is good, portion size on fish dishes is so small it would not fill a child. I must stress, my view is not because I am a big eater - I ordered the starter salad and fish because I was not feeling particularly hungry at the time. I must say, having seen my partner tucking into his fantastic food, I left feeling very hungry indeed.

1  Thank Brum74