“Learning the ropes”

$128.32*
Whistler Full-Day Backcountry Hike
Ranked #7 of 54 Tours in Whistler
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Skills Academy and Adventures offers guided tours and mountain skills courses. Choose from backcountry ski/snowboard touring, mountaineering, ice climbing, glacier tours, rock climbing, Via Ferrata climbing, backcountry hiking and camping, avalanche skills training and other mountain safety courses. Our highly trained guides will show you the best of our beautiful mountains.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

We had a great morning with Aaron who, in the space of a few hours, taught us the basics of top rope climbing! He helped us with clear instruction, useful details/techniques, and enthusiastic attitude. We had two adults and two children (10 and 12 years) in our family, and he handled each of us comfortably. He was very encouraging to each of us, pushing us to test our abilities and advance across different categories of climb. Our kids REALLY took to it, and Aaron was really effective in both coaching them and cheering them on. We would highly recommend this experience! [Bring lots of water, sunscreen, a snack and a positive attitude!]

Reviewed July 28, 2014

My husband, children (ages 13, 15), and I enjoyed this experience very much! It was challenging, both physically and mentally, but we never felt unable to continue or unsafe. Our guide, Kyler, was awesome. He was very attentive and helpful, especially to my son who was nervous. The sense of accomplishment was fantastic, a great lesson for my children that they really can do anything they set their minds to. This was an adventure we will never forget.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

The guides are attentious and careful! The High Note Trail is spectacular, specially during the summer! The Garibaldi Lake is amazing! Worth the 3 hours hiking!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I arrived in Whistler for three days wanting to do as much outdoor stuff as possible. I decided to take a day long, challenging hike for my age and ability (fit 55) with the aid of a guide, mainly because of my inexperience of hiking in bear country and wanting to enjoy the day without fretting about meeting one. Ian, the concierge at The Fairmont Hotel rang up this company and all was arranged. Junichi met me and I couldn't have asked for a better guide. He has lived in Whistler for 20 years, now married with kids and embedded in the community, he absolutely loves the area. We went to Joffre Lakes, a 30 minute drive from Whistler. I had brought hiking sandals and Merrill hiking trainers with ankle support and he advised I wore those. He also brought hiking sticks with him and they were so helpful going up and coming down the steep slopes. The hike took us about 5 hours plus the drive with a lunch break, photos stops and a rest at each lake. The hike starts at the carpark very close to the first lake. There are toilets there too. After reaching the first lake, you literally climb up a steep path through the forest for 90 minutes. What used to be a boulder field has been made into an easier track so crossing that is no big deal now. At the second lake there is a log that lies out across the aqua blue water, providing a great place to sit and dangle your feet in the freezing cold water. It was a hot day and I had imagined wanting to jump in, but it was seriously icy! The hike to the third lake was another 90 minutes uphill, across some raging falls, streams & rivers, walking across logs with hand rails and again through forests. There were wild berries everywhere, an abundance of wild life, squirrels, birds and no sign of bears. Junichi knew all the bird songs, wild flowers and a lot about the area and possessed great general knowledge about the region. We went at my pace, which was quite slow, but steady and he provided the perfect mix of information along the way, generally when asked about things and enough silence and peaceful walking to allow a submersion into the beauty of the place, without noise and distraction. Junichi was courteous, kind, great company and I felt complete confidence in him and his knowledge of the area and what to do if we did meet a bear. This Joffre lakes hike is one of the most beautiful I have done and possessing just an iPhone camera, Junichi took photos of all the things I had wanted to take on my phone and later emailed them all to me. So kind. he also helped me get on the sea plane back to Vancouver for a deadline and then later emailed me some great suggestions for sea kayaking around Vancouver Island. I cannot recommend Junichi enough as a guide but also the company for hiring him and having these great hikes on their schedule. I will savour that hike forever. thank you Junichi.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I had a nice time on the via at the summit of whistler mountain. The weather, was all over the place. The
Guides are very good, and informative. We had a good small group. We all had some experience so I think that help made it run smoothly. The views are amazing and you will see the valley at an angle few will see.
Cheers