“One more off the Bucket list”

Mountain Skills Academy & Adventures
Whistler Glacier Ascent Hike
Ranked #7 of 56 Tours in Whistler
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mountain Skills Academy and Adventures offers guided tours and mountain skills courses. Choose from backcountry ski/snowboard touring, mountaineering, ice climbing, glacier tours, rock climbing, Via Ferrata climbing, backcountry hiking and camping, avalanche skills training and other mountain safety courses. Our highly trained guides will show you the best of our beautiful mountains.
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I didn't even know it was something on my list, but I can now check it off. In the 1960s the actor, William Holden made a movie called the devils Brigade and the final battle scene has the brigade climb the back face of a mountain to attach a German position, well know I know what that climb was like and realize I would have been better off shooting myself in the foot at the base. While not a excursion for the faint of heart or week and feeble, if you at worst a middle aged executive who sits at a desk all day and hasn't been true to his exercise routine this is something you can do. If you are not a big fan of heights you can do this, if you are terrified of heights, maybe a few beers in a pub is better way to spend the afternoon. Of course if you want a family adventure that you will speak of for years to come, a way to challenge yourself, an alternative to the run of the mill, then this is it. It is not easy, but it is fun. It is great to watch your kids succeed and feel good about what they are able to do without a computer or tablet in their hands. Go out there and do it, you will not be disappointed - in fact you will be glad you left the run of the mill behind. Hey, you never know, if they ever re-make the Devil's Brigade, your experience will make you a natural for the final battle scene - What you don't want to be a star!!!

1  Thank Peter R

Reviewed August 26, 2013

My family was so impressed with our trip. This was our first trip climbing as a family. Our guide was awesome. He was so patient and helpful. He did a great job teaching us safety and the best ways to climb. We started our trip at 8:30 in the morning and we were worn out at 5:30. We did some great crack climbing, rock climbing, and bouldering. When I e-mailed I was able to book the trip right away, everything went smooth with the booking process, and the climbing was awesome. I highly recommend a trip with them. Thanks again!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

The hike was absolutely beautiful. My guide Chelsea made it very interesting and a lot of fun. She was very knowledgeable about history and make up of the landscape. I wouldn't hesitate to use Whistler Alpine Guides again.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

For anyone considering the Via Ferrata tour through Whistler Alpine Guides, I would highly recommend the trip! Climbing the via Ferrata was a very unique experience and one that I won't soon forget!

My guide on the tour was extremely knowledgeable, helpful, considerate, and fun! She made sure that the two others in my group and I had a safe and enjoyable climb. In addition, since the three of us in the group were all shutterbugs, she made sure that we had plenty of time to stop and take pictures along the way, even offering to take a few pictures herself.

The climb itself, while extremely fun, was not all that challenging and I would say that, as long as you aren't afraid of heights, anyone of moderate fitness can easily accomplish it. If you want to make it a bit tougher, you can forgo the iron steps and use the cliffs more of a rock-climbing experience.

In conclusion, if you're looking for something unique to do while you're in Whistler, I highly recommend trying out the Via Ferrata. And Whistler Alpine Guides is definitely the way to go!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Best 4 hours of my vacation! The climb was lots of fun and our guide was awesome. You take the first two chairs up Whistler mountain and then climb to the peak on the Via Ferrata.