“Very good”

Alta Bistro
Ranked #30 of 196 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Locally inspired cuisine set in a casual bistro atmosphere. Chef Nicholas Cassettari combines his classic training, top tier experience, and world travels with the best of B.C.'S bounty to create the fine flavours at Alta Bistro. Service is casual and prompt in the dining room and bar. The wine list is French focused, with the best of B.C. As well as international selections (many by the glass) with Enomatic machines dispensing fine and eclectic selections to pair with Alta's cuisine. Mixologists behind our bar craft some of Whistler's finest cocktails. The cozy bistro atmosphere is lively and welcoming. Reservations are a must.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Whistler can be less than stellar in its finer dining establishments. What wouldn't pass muster in Vancouver is OK in "casual" Whistler. Dips in quality are common, even among the chains. And, with a captive audience, it's a ticket to print money. But Alta Bistro rises above the ho-hum and delivers fresh, innovative, and flavourful food. Great attention to detail, friendly service, superb wine list (if you can afford it, the Woodward Canyon Cab Sauv is knock your socks off good). My only regret is the space is sort of a long, narrow corridor and the interior isn't as appealing as the food. But I would return in a heartbeat. Why spend twice as much at Araxi?

2  Thank Overseez

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Have to agree with every 5-star review I read below. I did review this restaurant previously when we visited a couple of years ago. This last Friday we had another excellent meal. $19 each for three courses: excellent charcuterie, an interesting green salad with Yukon spudsl, lovely salmon, terrific beef short rib (small supplemental charge), and pleasant little desserts. Great food, great wines, great scotch, great service. We will most definitely return to this restaurant when we are next in Whistler.

1  Thank TheSchindells
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I recently visited Whistler for the first time. Having read the glowing reviews, we were looking forward to Alta Bistro. We were not disappointed; in fact, we chose to dine there twice during our short stay. For us, what made this place so special was the warm welcome, lack of pretentiousness, and obvious care and creativity with which the menu and entire dining experience are crafted. Locally sourced, organic offerings abound. Everything tasted wonderfully fresh and of the highest quality, with lovely presentation. The pork cheeks were decadently rich, and thoroughly enjoyable. The short ribs, while prepared differently than my husband was expecting were excellent. Ahi tuna and salmon, also very good. Wonderful summer salad loaded with the best beets I may have had anywhere. Nice wine list from which we chose a good Chilean pinot noir. Since we're wine drinkers, we weren't interested in cocktails, but the list was inventive and tempting, nonetheless. Bottom line: was it one of the best meals ever? While it was very good, I wouldn't put it in that category. However, because of the great staff (hi, Aaron), warm, inviting, bistro ambiance, fair pricing, and "green" sensibilities, it was, arguably, one of the best overall dining experiences we've had in a long time. It just felt like a place to which you wanted to return again and again, and we did.

1  Thank orjazzlover
Reviewed September 12, 2013

An excellent restaurant, very personal service providing by the proprietor;very knowledgable in terms of local BC wines. Interesting and unusual menu, all local produce(elk etc). Not inexpensive, but very enjoyable. One of the best we found travelling from Vancouver through to Banff.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

I chose this restaurant because they had high ratings on tripadvisor and offered a vegetarian option on their menu. I noticed that they had a three course dinner for $19.00 if I ate there before 6:15pm, which made me even more curious in trying them out.

To start off with the wait-staff was very friendly and accomodating, but the food they served me was seriously some of the very best food I've ever tasted, esp. considering that it was a vegetarian main dish, which can often be tricky to find at all at many restaurants. The presentation of the food was very professional and modern. Portion size was just right for me, not to much and not to little.

Overall a very satisfying experience. I would have glady paid double and it would it have been a 'reasonable' price for the quality of the food/service I received, but at $19.00 this is a phenomenal bargain for some of the best food in Whistler. I highly, highly recommend them and will most certainly visit again if/when I come back to Whistler.