“Excellent Food & Wine experience”
Review of Alta Bistro

Alta Bistro
Ranked #18 of 193 Restaurants in Whistler
Cuisines: French, Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Locally inspired cuisine set in a casual bistro atmosphere. Chef Nicholas Cassettari combines his classic training, top tier experience, and world travels with the best of B.C.'S bounty to create the fine flavours at Alta Bistro. Service is casual and prompt in the dining room and bar. The wine list is French focused, with the best of B.C. As well as international selections (many by the glass) with Enomatic machines dispensing fine and eclectic selections to pair with Alta's cuisine. Mixologists behind our bar craft some of Whistler's finest cocktails. The cozy bistro atmosphere is lively and welcoming. Reservations are a must.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My friend & I made a late reservation and had the 4 course degustation menu 6-9pm at the bar on New Years Eve. The food courses had excellent choices although were a little of the small side for portions, however, the textures & flavours made up for that as did the excellent service and knowledgeable staff who were able to introduce the food and talk intelligently about the various wines on offer. I'm involved with a couple of restaurants (as an owner) and believe tHese guys have a winning formula. A great culinary experience.

There are newer reviews for Alta Bistro

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were really looking forward to our evening's celebrations at Alta Bistro, and were not disappointed. The restaurant is unassuming, and gives a casual bistro feel, we were warmly welcomed and the service did not fail to please. The 5 course menu was inventive and well balanced, using local incredients and the accompanying wines were superb. So pleased we chose to spend our Christmas Eve at Alta Bistro.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was in town for the first time this past November. I was looking for a locally owned, intimate dining experience. Let me tell you, Alta Bistro does not disappoint! These fine folks take every detail to heart. They may be one of the smaller restaurants in the village area, but certainly have the best food and value, hands down!
I am from Raleigh, NC, where we have a strong locally owned restaurant scene, with concepts that thrive on locally sourced and organic food ingredients. The team at Alta does their absolute best to source locally whenever possible and are very creative with the seasonal offerings they have available to them. I applaud their efforts, both inside and outside the kitchen!
I only wish I had found them earlier, I would have had each of my meals there. I'll be back this Summer - Alta will be on my daily lineup, for sure. Keep up the great work Alta folks!

Best, Kevin
Raleigh,NC

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is the second time I came to dine here. This time I brought my sister, her partner and a baby. They were very accommodating and help set up room for the car seat. We reserved an early dinner to be sure that the baby didn't ruin any late romantic dinners ;) The menu changed from last year and no longer has the 29$ three course meal, only the 39$ three course meal. To be fair, the food is sooooo good that even the 39$ is a good deal. We were 4 adults so we ended up trying almost everything on the menu as they have 4 options for 1st course, 2nd course and 3rd course. We also added1/2 a dozen oysters and 2 desserts as well as 2 bottles of wine. Their wine isn't crazy over-priced so we splurged. The bill came out to 87$/person after taxes, which considering the quality is really very good. Obviously, this would have been much cheaper if we just stuck to the 39$/person deal.
The service was excellent and i can't say enough good things about the food. Each dish was prepared to perfection. A great experience for any foodie or anyone looking for an exceptional dining experience in Whistler.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Had dinner here last night and it was a pleasant experience. They have a nice 3 course menu structure that worked well. I had the winter salad to start which was an interesting set of tastes. I'm not 100% sure what all of it was, but it worked very well.

For the second course, I swapped the charcuterie ($5 surcharge) and this was pretty good. A good size for 1 person and a nice selection of different meats.

For the third course, I had the fish, which was an incredible taste mix between the leeks and the fish filet (steel-head I think - like a trout). It could have been a little warmer, but not so cool to send back.

the selection of wines is not as wide as some restaurants, but I managed to find enough range to chose. The value was pretty good compared to some of the longer established restaurants.

My only real disappointment was I didn't see anything on the dessert menu that I fancied. In the end I got an ice cream on the way home!

Overall a nice meal in very nice surroundings. It's a pretty small restaurant so I hope they can survive in what is a competitive market. It's a little out of the way where it is but definitely worth looking out for.