Aspens on Blackcomb
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
A TripAdvisor Member
Guelph
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Aspens is located at the base of Blackhome. At the end of a long day of skiing the jets in their hottub were amazing. The room was clean, spacious and everything worked. We were not interested in nightlife, so this location was perfect. It was very quiet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
On behalf of ResortQuest Whistler we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Please come back again soon.

Guest Service Manager

Reviewed April 1, 2012

We visited for a weekend and stayed at a privately rented 2 bed. Check-in was slow and when we got to the apartment they had self cleaned the oven. This meant the place was very hot and we couldnt use the oven to make dinner. The beds were the worst I have ever stayed in and were very uncomfortable. The place was cheaply decorated and I felt the carpets must have been there for 20yrs+. There were chips in the furniture and the place was desperately in need of some tlc.
The location is great for ski-in ski-out and the owners gave us a late check out which was very helpful.
It was an expensive place to stay and I didn't think it was worth the expense.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2012

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to write this review, i would however like to get some more information from you.
Please could you email me with regards to the room number that you stayed in, so that we can get to the bottom of the issues that you dealt with.

Regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I've skied a lot at Whistler Blackcomb and always favour the Blackcomb mountain. I love to stay in the upper village and for the past few years have always noticed the 'Aspens' on my ride up for the base to the mid-station. I loved the look and idea of an outside swimming pool and 2 hot tubs.

I was excited to find a reasonable deal on line for spring break in a 2 bedroom offering.

Upon check in the staff seemed very abrupt and rude to the point when another guest asked for some change for the laundry room.

Our room itself seemed very dated and poorly maintained. The cleanliness was a big issue when my daughter found a half smoked joint left on one of the beds. Not to mention the 3 socks that we found under beds and dressers. The selection of plates and glassware was a real mix and match from probably 6 different sets. Carpets were worn, wardrobes doors were falling off, the bathroom shower door was to the point of damn dangerous as it fell on me rather than one of my children and the door on the TV cabinet also fell off in the second bedroom. The beds, especially the sofa bed seems very worn and uncomfortable.

Now if you like a common hot tub that you share with 50 people it might be great! But just too many at any one time.

The location is one of the best on the mountain. A small walk, 200 yards, down the slope and you're in Blackcomb village. Great for ski-in and ski-out with young children still learning.

I wanted it to be so much more but will not choice to use this location again when i can get a better quality and cleaner property 100 yards up the hill at Painted Cliff.

I must try the Coast Resort another 100 yards further as that looks like a gem.

Overall - Disappointed, Dated and could de so much better.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2012

ResortQuest are truly sorry that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, and we would really like to help make this situation better.
Please can you email me with regards to the unit number you stayed in and if you remember the name of the front desk agent that served you.
ResortQuest pride ourselves on making sure that our guests have the best stay they can, and I am very disappointed that this was not the case for you.
Again, Please email me so that we can get to the bottom of this.
I hope to hear from you soon

Reviewed March 19, 2012

The location of the Aspens on Blackcomb is excellent. You can walk a very short distance from the Condo to the shops and food in the village. SKI in and OUT could not have been better.
There are some thing that need to be addressed about staying at the Aspens though. They really could use another front desk person between the hours of 4pm-8pm. This is check in time and guests are also coming to the desk for towels for the pool and any questions they may have. We had to wait 10 minutes or more to get pool towels. We arrived on a Monday during Spring Break and the hot tub by the pool was broken. We were guests here for a week and it never was fixed. That left the other 2 small ones for LOTS of guests! We had to walk back to our room 3 different times due to the tubs being full and no room was available for us to get in them. For the room, it was decent. Upon arrival we did notice several of the dishes were still dirty in the cabinets. We re-washed them but it was kinda gross. The blinds in our bedroom were broken and so was the screen to the window. Room #129. We were also left with a notice in our room explaining to leave everything locked from windows to sliders due to multiple break ins on the ground level units. (Stay on a higher floor if you can!) The bed was the worst I have ever slept on in any hotel. The mattress was hard as a rock. I got a kink in my neck the first night and that was rough trying to ski with that each day. I wish the bed was better, I would go back if they were to improve the mattress situation.

Room Tip: I would choose a different location due to the poor comfort level of the bed. If you don't care...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. At ResortQuest Whistler we appreciate all our guest reviews in order to help us make your stay better.

Thank you for your input on front desk staff, I will certainly look in to that, it sometimes is a challenge train and bring in extra staff when we have a busy periods, but I will defiantly look it to it, I do apologize that you had to wait to receive pool towels.
With regards to the hot tub, I completely understand your frustration, it was very unfortunate that one of them was not working. As our pool and hot tubs are looked after by the Strata Council at the Aspens On Blackcomb, we do not really have any pull with regards to the maintenance, all we can do is trust that it is fixed as quickly as possible and of course apologize to our guests.

On behalf of the Management team, I can not apologize enough for the issues in your room, they are down to us to fix and I feel very embarrassed that you had to wash your own dishes. With regards to the blinds, screen and bed, did you notify the front desk? I’m very sure that our maintenance team would have dealt with any issues immediately.

With regards to the note that was in your room concerning break-ins, that was and is something we have been asked to put in all our ground floor units by The Whistler RCMP, for safety reasons only, The Aspens On Blackcomb has only had one break-in, but other hotels have not been so lucky. We truly just want to make sure our guests have the nicest, safest experience possible.

All in all ResortQuest Whistler hopes that you do come back and visit us again soon, and please do not hesitate to contact me via email to discuss this further.

A Whistler Blackcomb traveler
Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA
Reviewed March 6, 2012

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Reviewed March 1, 2012

Upon arrival I left my son and husband in the car so I could find out about parking and check in. The process took about 5 minutes, which is probably the fastest I have every checked into a hotel. I was handed a package of room keys, pool keys, towel cards, a map and a number of other promo cards. Bit overkill, but I guess everyone needs to have their say in your vacation. I do wish there was just one card that accessed everything though. There was too much risk of losing one of the pieces I had to return at the end of the trip.

Internet was included in the trip voucher we had bought from LivingSocial, but unbeknownst to me, parking was not. It cost us an additional CAD$15 per day. This was not a welcome additional expense as you can imagine, but you live and learn.

Our condo was clean, simple and efficient. The main section of the condo was one big room broken into 3 sections: the kitchen, a small dining area and the living room. There was a small flat screen TV and DVD player in the living room along with a fireplace. The kitchen was stocked with your basic utensils, plates and cookware. There was a dishwasher, which was a very nice surprise, as we hate to do dishes when we are on vacation. A balcony fed off the living room with a nice view of the pool, hot tubs and ski in/ski out entrance.

The bedroom was small, but had two dressers/night stands and a big enough closet to hang some clothes and stash our suitcase. There was no TV, so bring some books or your laptop to enjoy a movie if you have kids sleeping in the living room like we did.

The bathroom was larger than the one we have at home. Not hard to do, but I always marvel at how big they can be. There was enough space to stick our potty training toddler's tiny potty in a corner and still not trip over it. The tub was nice and deep allowing for a late night soak after a long day in the snow.

Overall the condo wasn’t the height of luxury, but it certainly wasn’t sub par in any way. It was efficient and clean, which is all we needed.

Resort Amenities-
Hot Tubs and Pools:The resort boasted 3 outdoor hot tubs and a year round heated pool. By late afternoon the hot tubs were busy, but there was always room for one more person looking for a nice soak. The pool usually had one or two intrepid families making the plunge, but it was pretty chilly so no one stayed in for very long. I put one toe in and went running for the hot tubs.
-Note: You cannot use the condo towels in the pool area. You must use your pool towel card to get towels from the front desk. You must return the towels before you check out. Leaving the pool towels in your condo does not count as them being returned and you can be charged for them.
Ski and Snowboard Storage: Summit Ski, which is adjacent to the front desk, offers complimentary ski concierge service. If they are not open, you must leave your skis or board with the front desk.
-Note: Skis and snowboards are not allowed in the room. You must check them in at the complimentary concierge service. You can be charged for bringing them into the elevator and/or up to your room.
HouseKeeping: You are staying in a condo unit, not a hotel, so the rooms are only cleaned every 4 days.
Other Amenities include bike storage, communal laundry areas and a very small gym.

Location
If you are an avid skier or snowboarder this location can’t be beat. With ski-in/ski-out access you can simply walk downstairs, strap on your snowboard and hit the powder. It is a short ride down to the Blackcomb ski lift and an easy walk back up the hill if you shoot past it at the end of the day. The condo complex was quiet since it was not close to any bars and had tons of families enjoying a stay. The resort also enforced quiet hours from 10pm-8am which ensured a good night sleep for all.

There are shuttles that will bring you from the Blackcomb day lodge and drop you off at your hotel in the Upper Village if you do not feel like walking. There are also a handful of restaurants available in the Upper Village, but if you are looking for more dining options head down the hill into Whistler Village with the kids. You can either walk, drive or shuttle it down. We chose to drive a lot so we could move on our own timeline. Parking was pretty cheap. Make sure you grab a bite at Crepe Montagne. We ate there every morning. I couldn't get enough!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank walkingon_travels

Thank you so much for taking time write this review, ResortQuest and Whistler can not thank you enough.
We mostly appreciate how in-depth your review is, in order to help us and other guests. Thank you also for being so complimentary
I will certainly pass on your concerns regards the parking, I do apologize that you were not told when you booked your vacation.
With regards to the keys, we do appreciate that there are many different keys, but unfortunately are not able to change that. The key system was put in place by the Strata Council and owners of each unit, for safety. We do however understand the frustration.
I will also put an email in to the Strata regarding the pool, it should be warm enough to swim in during the Winter, again my apologies.
Again thank you for a very kind and informative review.
We really hope to see you back again soon.
Have a fantastic rest of your winter.

Reviewed February 27, 2012

We just came back from a week in Whistler/Blackcomb and stayed at the Aspens (unit 433) - It was a great experience. First of all about the location, you are truly in one of the few real ski-in and ski out properties in Whistler. In the morning you grab the skis from the valet and are on the slopes within seconds. You can either ski to the bottom of Blackcomb and head to the top on the Wizard chair or take the magic chair over to Whistler village. Now that they have the peak to peak gondola, it's even easier than ever to move from mountain to mountain. On the other hand, if you want to go to the village for dinner or shopping, it's a good 10-15 minute walk. The most efficient way is to walk down the side of the mountain to the bottom and then there is a path that takes you to Whistler. Its ok to walk if you are not in a hurry but if you want to come and go or do some grocery shopping you definitely need a car (there is a bus that stops by the Aspens condo but I never used it so I'm not sure the cost of frequency). The actual condo unit was clean, on the newer side. The bed was comfortable. The reason I did not give this property a 5 is that I found the pool, hot tub and fitness area to be completely sub par to the rest of the building. This is a massive property and they have 2 very small hot tubs that are completely packed at the end of the day. The pool is not warm enough to use so it just sits there empty. The fitness center has 3 mediocre machines -- also, people have to walk through the fitness center to get to the hot tub... Also, the front desk help is not very consistent -- depend who is working, how helpful and friendly they are.
A few additional tips:
-Parking cost about $15 a day (plus tax) -- you need your room key to get in the garage
-Our condo had free wifi - very useful
-laundry machines on both sides of the building - they only take canadian coins ($1 and .25c) and you need your own detergent - they had a vending machine but when I was there they were out of detergent so I had to borrow :( There is a change machine but again, you have to have canadian money to put in the change machine.
-ski/board rental in the lobby of the Aspens - Summit Rentals- helpful staff and you are right there in case you need adjustments (the last day i was able to trade my rental for powder skis without any problem)
Overall a great time-- I would definitely come back here!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank salacata
RQWManagement, Manager at Aspens on Blackcomb, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.
ResortQuest is very happy to hear that overall your stay was enjoyable.
Just for future stays I would love to clarify a few things:
The Village shuttle from the Aspens is free and picks you up just outside the entrance to the Hotel, it will take you right in to the village, if you are looking to go to other parts of Whistler, then the Bus system in town can take you at a cost, but again the Village shuttle is FREE.
With regards to the Pool and hot tub, I am a little confused as The Aspens has TWO very large hot tubs just out of the door from the exercise room and ONE smaller one next to the pool. Compared to most of the hotels in Whistler The Aspens hot tubs are relatively big.
As the pool, hot tubs and exercise room is run and looked after by the Strata and Strata Council, it is at the discretion of the owners as to how much exercise equipment is put in. As Whistler is a ski/snowboard and mountain biking vacation area, the Strata feels that the machines in the exercise room are acceptable. We are sorry you do not feel the same.
ResortQuest apologizes that the front desk staff were not as helpful and friendly as they could have been and if you would like to personally email me information on those staff, good or bad I would very much appreciate it.
With regards to the laundry machines, as we are in Canada it is very hard to find a machine that allows multi country money to be used, the same with the change machine. But we do apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused.
All in all we are happy that you would come back and if you need any further information, please do not hesitate to ask.

Sales &Marketing Manager