“Bit bare hotel. Youth oriented.”
Review of HI-Whistler

HI-Whistler
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was the only hotel in Whistler we could find which didn't charge for parking.

Situated appx 4 miles out of town: car is essential.
Environment is pretty lonely and not very inviting. Yet very quiet.
Atmosphere in hotel is hostel like: bare + oriented towards youth
Small rooms with just 1 straight chair.

Reception very friendly an coöperative.
Parking in Whistler is free in the evening (untill 3 am: not if you stay in a downtown hotel).
All hotels and restaurants are pretty expensive, while the town itself is not that attrctive. Unless you are into outdoor sports, I wouldn't go there again.

Room Tip: Having a car is essential !
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Shaun F, General Manager at HI-Whistler, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property, and I have to say that I'm surprised you didn't find Whistler to be a very scenic destination - between the trip here via the Sea-to-Sky highway, the lakes, mountain vistas, and wildlife I've often heard people remark that living here is like living in a postcard.

I apologize if you were under the impression that you had booked a hotel, and the reason we feel 'hostel-like' is because, we definitely are a hostel, and are part of Hostelling International.

Although, it must be said, as we were built in just 2010, and are a purpose built facility we're probably in a different category to some hostels you may have stayed in, in the past, and our private rooms especially do have the feel of a hotel, all with en suite washrooms, TV, etc. However you have the added benefit of being able to enjoy our stellar common areas, including multiple patios with mountain views, TV room, communal kitchen and a common room with free pool (billiards).

I do hope you choose to visit Whistler again, whilst it is definitely an outdoor recreation mecca, it's a destination I believe that should be a must for all visitors to Western Canada.

Kind Regards,
Shaun Freeman - General Manager.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

A great leftover from the 2010 Olympics. This was the athletes village and quality built in. A nice kitchen, patio area and adjacent parking. Room is clean, linens provided and soap, shampoo, etc. The hostel is a bit warm in summer as there is no air con. A small coffee shop on the main level came in handy. One downside is if you don't have a vehicle it is 8 Kim's out of the town. There is buss service though.

Room Tip: Get one that faces north or east
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2013

If you have ever been apprehensive about staying at a hostel for the first time, HI Whistler is the place to start. This was my third stay at HI Whistler, twice in summer, once in winter and the place is always great.

There are four comfy bunks per room, each bunk has its own shelf, light, and electric plugs for mobile phones. Bring your own padlock for the locker by each bed. I feel it is safer and more convenient than a safe.

A 10% discount was applied when we did the Ziptrek Ecotours zipline because we stayed at HI Whistler.

I have brought my immediate and extended family here and they have all been impressed.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Darren C
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Stayed here with my family (wife, 6 year old boy and 4 year old girl) just for a weekend trip to Whistler from Vancouver. It was great staying amongst young (teenagers and twenty year olds) travelers from different parts of the world. There was a cross country competition on, so lot of the other guests were taking part in that. There were no issues with noise or feeling like our family was intruding. All the guests were friendly and polite, the staff were also accommodating and friendly. Even though the rooms were basic, we had our own private room for 4 and the kids LOVED the bunk beds.

As it is a new hostel tit is clean and well laid out. Nice coffee shop on the ground floor and a large kitchen and dinning room upstairs. There was a games room and TV room as well, which was appreciated by the kids amongst us.

We are looking forward to satying again as well as other hostels around the world with the family.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed for three nights from march 27-30. The staff were all friendly and super helpful with anything. I really like how I could store my snowboard and gear and not have to worry about someone taking off with it as the board room also had security camera in it. I stayed in a fourbed dorm and the bed was very comfy and clean. There were lockers in the dorm to lock all my stuff up plus you get a towel and extra linens. The common room had a pool table and four PC's which you have to purchase time for. Big screen with satellite tv, Xbox 360 and leather theatre style chairs. Great place to chill and have a beer and meet some new people after boarding all day. The kitchen was quite large with four oven ranges, multiple microwaves, lots of utensils for use and a massive fridge to store your food in with tags to put your name on your food. Only ate at the cafe twice for a quick breakfast and it was expensive but everything in Whistler is. Only a couple minor down points. The kitchen has no oven just a tiny little toaster oven. lol took a while to cook our full size pizza in there. The other was location it is about 10-15 minutes from the village by bus(which comes like every 20 min) but i didnt mind it as I only stayed for 3 nights. If I was staying longer it may get a little annoying. Overall it was a great stay for the price and what you get, it is definitely worth it.(probably the best hostel I have stayed at). Will be back next time Iam boarding in Whistler. Check it out.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank John A
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great place to stay for those traveling to Whistler on a budget. The hostel is really nice. I stayed in one of the dorms. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, there were cabinets available to stash my stuff in and the room was pretty clean considering there were four guys staying there. I forgot to bring a lock, but felt comfortable leaving my things in the room. On the 2nd floor they have a tv room, common room and kitchen. In the lobby there's a caf and a secure room to leave your gear. The staff was really helpful and provided maps and suggestions for visiting Whistler and riding the mountains. I had a rental car which made it easy making the 5 minute drive to the mountain If you don't have a car there is a shuttle that runs back and forth and loads in front of the hostel. If you do drive to the mountain there is free parking right in front of the gondola at Whistler creek. All and all, for those traveling on a budget this place is a pretty good option for a trip to Whistler.

Room Tip: Try and get a bed near a window and a room away from the elevator. The rooms tend to heat up pretty...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is amazing, by far the best hostel I have stayed in so far! Everything was so modern, the hostel was always well cleaned, including the bathrooms every day!!! We had our own bathroom in our room so we only had to share with the others in our room, (rather than the whole hostel). The kitchen is big with plenty of pots and pans to use, great pool table, tv room great, plenty of pay phones available, the hostel was warm, had a cafe down stairs and a small shop across the road if you felt like getting some easy snacks. The bus runs regularly up to the resort for $2.50 each way and if you have a car, plenty of free parking spaces were available. This hostel is a must stay for any travellor heading up to Whistler!

• Stayed: March 2013