“Terrific location steps from Whistler Mountain”

Hilton Whistler Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersSilver level
Medina, Ohio
“Terrific location steps from Whistler Mountain”
Reviewed January 3, 2012

My husband, our two college-age sons and I stayed at the Hilton for several days between Christmas and New Year's. I was thrilled to find two rooms available using our HHonors points during the busiest week of the year (and with only about a month's notice), and even more pleased to discover upon checking in that our rooms included complimentary buffet breakfast for each of us. The Hilton's buffet breakfast is fairly extensive for a hotel, and not cheap at $30 per person, but there's a good variety and even vegetarians will find plenty of options.
Our rooms, next to each other but not adjoining, were typical hotel rooms, not the suite that I expected. We had reserved two "junior king suites," the only room type that was available when I made the reservation. It was a bit of a stretch to call the room a suite, even a junior one! I also expected a real kitchen, although I'd read a review that mentioned there was no oven. We hadn't planned to cook more than breakfast, and I really appreciated the breakfast coupons because it would have been a tight squeeze preparing even something simple. There was a flat cooktop with two burners, a mini fridge and a small dishwasher, but the dining area would have been big enough only for two people, and it was right at the foot of the bed. The "kitchen" itself was about three feet from the side of the bed. Don't book a junior king suite and expect a spacious kitchen! However, the room was clean and comfortable, and we had a quiet location overlooking an inner courtyard with a firepit. The bath had been updated, but was a traditional small bath with a single sink and shower/tub combo. The king bed was comfortable, and there were down/feather pillows, which we prefer.
My biggest complaint was that the rooms were not very well insulated - conversations next door were audible unless the TV was on, and you could hear people in the suite above us using the toilet.
The location is fabulous for skiers, a tiny walk from the lifts at Whistler Mountain. I don't ski, but my husband and sons do, as do the friends we met who stayed at a nearby condo, and the location can't be beat. It was our first visit to Whistler Mountain, and I have to say, it was a phenomenal resort. The village is teeming with shops and restaurants, and you could easily spend a couple of days exploring just the village.
I consulted the hotel's concierge for snowshoeing activities and received good advice and directions about the free shuttle bus. I would absolutely go back to Whistler, and if the price is right (since we pretty much depleted our reward points reservoir), I would consider the Hilton again.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one that faces the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
el dorado hills, ca
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The Hilton did not impress, but certainly not a bad experience. For what we paid at the peak-peak season between Christmas and New Years, I would have expected a little better service. Room service trays were left in the hallway for hours, smelling up the joint. Rooms were not quiet. Maid service was lacking - did not clean out sinks, replace the wine glasses, vacuum floors. All and all, a typical Hilton as far as rooms go. We will try one of the other conveniently-located hotels next time.

Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Mexico
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed in The Hilton Whistler for christmas an new year, We have been going to Whistler twice a for some time now, and the best hotel is the Hilton. It has the best location, food, and service, and the rooms clean and very comfortable. I have tried the Westin and the Sundial, and the hilton is much better absolutly in everything and with the same locaion.

Southern California
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We were there for a few days in mid December. I love this hotel for the location, only a few steps from the Whistler and Blackcomb Gondolas, right in Whistler Village. Tons of great food places around, but don't overlook the Cinnamon Bear Bar & Grill for a great time chilling after a day on the slopes! We also took advantage of the outdoor and indoor spa (swimming pool was deceptively cold). We stayed in a one bedroom suite in the south wing. The room was spacious and we loved having the convenience of having a fridge and microwave. The gas fireplace was also great for those nights when we stayed in. The beds were very comfortable and I loved how there were separate temperature controls for the bedroom and the living room. There were both a shower and jacuzzi tub in the bathroom.

My only complaint would be the thin walls. I could hear the kids in the room next to us playing and their parents yelling at them.

However, the staff at the hotel were so nice and friendly, that made up for the walls. There is a complimentary car service that will drive you around and bring you back, if you call them. Loved this little touch! Certainly made our lives a tad bit easier when it was raining outside. Also loved the complimentary storage for the skis and boards. You just drop them off at the Summit Sports rental place which is on the way to the gondolas and pick them up again the next morning. Loved that! I can't say enough about how top notch the customer service is there! The staff remembered us by name and made us feel so welcome, we didn't want to leave. We also got a massage at the indonesian spa and it was heavenly after a few days on the slopes. Definitely worth a try. You can also ask them for a discount if you are a large group.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This hotel is so close to the Whistler village lifts and gondola, as well as the check-in point for the Village Whistler Kids ski school, (which is fab by the way!).

We had a one bed apt with kitchenette which was well stocked and had pretty much everything except for an oven. This was very comfortable for our family of five.

We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and the extra activities they lay on at Christmas were an added bonus. Loved the free hot chocolate for when you came off the mountain.

Have put lots of photos here...plus a bit about the ski school for those interested:

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Pulau Ubin, Singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Stayed for ten nights in Dec having booked four Whistler suites for the period.

Location was good. For us renting at the Summit Ski shop meant that we walked there to get our gear which was stored overnight daily. It was close to the gondolas so it was nice and easy.

Breakfast was good. Although ten days of the same offering became mundane halfway through the trip. My gold membership meant I was able to have breakfast provided but off a limited offering.

Room size was good. Housekeeping was generally decent. But on some
Days it was not as throughyl cleaned. I could t figure why the fireplace was not cleared daily. Would have been nice but it wasn't a total bother. Kitchenette provided was good.

Spa was amazing. Gym not bad. Heated pool was decent but the outdoor jacuzzi was broken for a period when we were there.

Rooms were not well sound insulated. I could hear people talking from adjacent rooms.

Fair value. I would certainly recommend it for locatoon, size of rooms and value.

Service staff were generally good. Concierge, front desk, bell desk. A few hit and misses. One duty manager constantly wore a scowl on her face and queries or request were always met with a cannot do attitude first. Sad.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank leong34
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The rooms itself was quite cosy and roomy. Ours had a view facing the slopes! Nice entrance and the hotel is also pet friendly which I think is a wonderful idea (although sadly my puppy lives in Australia). The resort itself is literally only 2 minutes walk to the Blackcomb slopes too. Perfect location! Perfect little getaway with friends/family or loved ones.

Room Tip: Req to get a room facing the slopes!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends