“Excellent value for the money.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Whistler Village Inn + Suites

and 1 more site!
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Winnipeg, Canada
“Excellent value for the money.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

I rating Whistler Village Inn and Suites a four based on value.

We have always stayed in the Upper Village on our trips to Whistler. For our last trip at the end of June we suddenly found ourselves arriving early with a couple of extra days. I booked us a room though the Whistler accommodations website on a last minute secret shopper kind of deal. We really weren't expecting much considering the price. You generally really do get what you pay for.

Upon arrival, (slightly early) we were checked in with a smile and without fuss into a studio in the Powder Lodge. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room, the kitchen facility, the clean and renovated bathroom and the fireplace. The room had a pull out couch and a Murphy bed that pulled down over a dinning area. It was excellent for the price. We went out to eat and explore and when we returned we had a problem with our room. (I'm not going to go into it, because it's the sort of thing that could have happened anywhere or at home, for that matter.)

We called the front desk and the houseman came instantly and politely assessed the situation. In only a few moments we received a call from Derek at the front desk informing us we would be moved and upgraded to a loft suite for our trouble. The houseman appeared to assist immediately. It was clear to me from how all the parties conducted themselves that they were well trained and they were very conscientious. It was text book on how to manage this sort of situation. Kudos to them and their training

We were moved to a loft queen, a two floor affair with two flat screen TV’s, fireplace, kitchenette, balcony and fold out couch and dining area. Like a cute apartment.

The rooms are nice, darker in colour palette, let’s call them cozy. All the public areas are nicely renovated with the exception of the carpets in the halls which are worn, (think of all those ski boots) but clean.

The hotel is located very closet to the slopes and with easy access to dining, shopping and exploring. For us (more for my DH) this was the drawback. Being in the action, means village noise and folks coming home from the bars etc. But, if you are going to be in the village at any other hotel, you’re going to get the same conditions. You can’t really hold that against the hotelier.

Our checkout was friendly, professional and they were helpful in arranging a cab to our new destination. All in all, I thought it was excellent value for the money. More can be had in a hotel in Whistler, but not much more could be needed. If you want the upgrades, they can be had at a price in Whistler, but a much higher price. If you don’t need them, this is a very good place.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank luv2travelnow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Jakarta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2009

We selected this hotel because the rates were the lowest found at the time for a location the hotel claimed was very close to the slopes. When we arrived, the front desk staff's (Derek) service was excellent! He was friendly, professional, very helpful & patient in answering many of our questions throughout the night (i.e. places to eat, how to get to attractions, parking, etc.). It was also nice to know the hotel had garage parking with hotel-key access.

When we left the hotel to explore the Whistler Village, the hotel truly was only a very short walk to the Village & its restaurants & pubs. The room & bathroom were comfortable & spacious enough for 2 people & we had a good night's rest. We also liked the design of the room where 1 main room door opened to 2 rooms inside; it seems designed for families who book 2 rooms & I think this resulted in noise from the outside (not that it was noisy) to be filtered as 2 doors separated us from the hallway. So, it was nice & quiet inside.

Although the parking & internet use was not cheap, the hotel's facilities, comfort, location, price & especially front desk staff we met all helped make our Whistler vacation a memorable one. We recommend this hotel for those looking to stay at a clean, comfortable hotel with a 1-minute walk away from Whistler Village.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank agchen1
Washington, D.C.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2009

After reading a few of the recent reviews, I wondered if there was anything that I could possibly add. I agree with many of the reviews already posted. The place is in an excellent location but that's all it has going for it. When planning for Whistler, I knew we had to stay in Whistler Village to be close to all the activities, shops, and restaurants. It seemed a hassle to have to wait for buses with all your ski equipment and you're wasting time waiting for a shuttle bus when you could be using that time to ski! The hotel was within walking distance to everything. We could have stayed in a better hotel for around the same price but we couldn't stay more than two nights and many of the hotels required stays of two nights or more.

The parking garage was convenient and reasonably priced. Entrance to the garage was right next to the front lobby so we could just walk to the car to get things. The only problem I had was that the doors didn't open automatically. There is a button to push to open them but they didn't open. Imagine trying to move all your luggage and prop the door open yourself as well.

We came as a party of three around 11:00 a.m.. We all had to wait for our rooms because they were not ready and unfortunately one of my friends had to walk her luggage to another building for her room. Luckily, my room was in the main building.

There is only ONE elevator and a small one at that. I really didn't have a problem with waiting too long for this one elevator each time I needed to use it. The place is not big but I wonder how terrible it would be if it should ever go out of service one day.

I found the staff friendly and helpful. My friends and I came in one rental car and because we were in different rooms, someone at the desk was willing to hold the car key for us while we loaded the car at different times during the day of our departure. Someone else at the desk was also willing to pass messages for us when we couldn't remember each other's room numbers to call and leave a message. They even let us leave the car there on the day of departure as long as we needed after we checked out of the hotel. So I did find them to do the best they could.

Now, as for the rooms, yes, they were dated. They were also dark as someone else has mentioned. The "hotel" room that we got was small and is nothing like the "suite" pictures that are on their website. I didn't expect any thrills based on what I read and I kept telling myself that the five star Sutton Place that I was checking into the next day in downtown Vancouver would totally make up for this one night stay. I didn't find anything particularly "unclean" and I knew that it was a ski resort town so there is definitely going to be much more wear and tear than your typical hotel. But it is time for a face-lift before than ski lift.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bluejello
GeneralManagerWVIS, General Manager at Whistler Village Inn + Suites, responded to this review, June 19, 2009
Thank you for your review and feedback of your stay in April of 2009.

We were happy to read that our team took good care of you. Being a small hotel offering lodge style accommodation, it is our aim to provide our guests with friendly and personable service and that you have a memorable and enjoyable stay. It is also our aim to ensure that we maintain a high standard of cleanliness in the rooms and in the public spaces so it was great to read that you did not have any challenges in this area.

The Whistler Village Inn + Suites is an intimate little 3 star property offering affordability, great value, friendly service and one of the best locations in Whistler. All that Whistler has to offer is right at our doorstep.

The hotel is made up of 2 lodges, offering 86 rooms in total. A small portion of our inventory is standard Hotel Room style accommodation. The remaining rooms are suite accommodation ranging from a Studio to a spacious Superior Loft.

The hotel has been renovated just over 1 year ago, which included new furnishings and soft goods in the rooms, new carpets, granite countertops, fresh paint and wallcoverings, new flat screen t.v.’s and several other enhancements.

Since your stay in April, the hallways have been re-painted, and the lobby areas in both the Keg and Powder Lodges have been refurbished. We are currently in the process of improving the lighting and refreshing the rooms where needed.

Should guests arrive prior to 4:00pm we make every effort to have the room available earlier when possible. When a little more time is required, we are more than happy to provide access to parking, the pool, hot tubs and fitness areas and will store your bags for you until your room is ready.

Please feel free to contact me directly at any time and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back should you return to Whistler in the future.

With best regards,
Camille Keep
General Manager, Whistler Village Inn + Suites

Travelers are raving about these Whistler hotels

Vancouver, BC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2009

After booking our hotel online for the May long weekend, me and a few friends arrived at this hotel, only to be told that we were not old enough to be staying there. However, it did not mention this anywhere on the website. We were told we needed a gaurdian over the age of 25 if we were going to be allowed to stay there. One of the girls travelling with us was 28, however, we were then told that it had to be a parent. We were told by one of the staff members at the desk that "it is people like you that cause us to lose business, and that is why we have a problem with you staying here." Absolutely APPALLING. I understand they may have had bad experiences with people our age before, but that does not give them the right to lump us in with those people, when we were just a few mature adult women trying to enjoy a nice weekend away. They were totally ok with the fact, that we had come up to Whislter expecting to have a nice stay in a nice hotel, only to be kicked to the streets. I have NEVER been so disrespected and mistreated by total strangers as I was by this woman. I don't believe ANYBODY has the right to speak to people like that, and she is CLEARLY in the wrong profession. We even told them we would be sleeping in our car, because no other hotel could take us, seeing as it was the long weekend, and all they said was "we can't help you." By far the WORST customer service I have ever had, and I will definately never recomend this hotel to a friend. EVER. Perhaps some of the staff at this hotel should take a course in manners, because we certainly didn't seem to find any here. Good luck with future business, you'll need it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank LWallingford
Thank you for your feedback and for providing us the opportunity to understand where we have room for improvement.

It is important that we are fair and respectful with everyone that we are in contact with at all times. We are very sorry that this was not your experience. Our policies will be more visible on our website to minimize the possibility of a similar experience taking place and we will work with our team to ensure that we are nothing less than friendly and professional with everyone.

During this particular weekend, Whistler has been challenged with an atmosphere that can create a less than enjoyable experience for many. In the interest of safety and comfort, most hotels in have a similar policy in place. I do welcome you to contact me directly to discuss your experience and we are very sorry that you encountered these challenges.

With kind regards,
Camille Keep, General Manager
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2009

We spent 4 nights at this hotel and were really impressed with the location on arrival. Reception was small but looked cosy. We had requested an earlier check in when booking which was confirmed but on arrival we were informed we would have to wait until 2pm. After hours of waiting (and skiing!) we were finally given our room at 5pm. They failed to inform us that breakfast was available and the times/location it was served and were generally rather unhelpful. We shared a suite with 2 other friends - the room was dated, dark and only half the light bulbs were working. The second bed was a pull out bed that was very uncomfortable and situated basically in the kitchen area! The swimming pool was closed for cleaning the ENTIRE time which was frustrating. However despite all of this (and the reason i give it 3 stars) the location made it a good stay as it was only a 2 minute walk to the lifts and was located very close to all the bars and restaurants. If you just want a place to sleep close to the lifts that is affordable then this is the place to stay but if you are looking for any luxury whatsoever then do not stay here! It is a 2* hotel in a 5* location.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tarazilla
Thank you for the review of your stay in March of 2009. Your feedback is important to us. It is our focus to ensure that all of our guests have an enjoyable and memorable stay. Feedback such as your provides the opportunity to identify where we exceed expectations and where we have room to grow and improve.

The Whistler Village Inn + Suites is an intimate 3 star property with standard services and amenities offering affordability, great value, friendly service and one of the best locations in Whistler.

When guests arrive earlier than the check-in time of 4:00pm we make every effort to have the room available earlier when possible. We are very sorry that we were a little longer than 4:00pm. Please have our assurances that this rarely occurs.

Some guests had breakfast included as part of a package when booked through certain partners. The location and time that breakfast was available should have been explained at time of arrival. As this was not a standard inclusion unfortunately this was missed. We will review this with our team to ensure that there is better focus in this regard.

As I am unsure of the exact dates of your stay, I am unable to explain the reasoning for the pool closure while you were with us. I can say that we did have some unexpected maintenance challenges that required the pool to be closed for a few days while we waited for the necessary parts to arrive at the hotel during the month of March.

The hotel was renovated just over 1 year ago, including new furnishings and soft goods in the rooms, new carpets, fresh paint, new flat screen televisions and other enhancements while maintaining the more rustic look and feel of a Whistler Lodge.

We are currently in the process of increasing the available lighting in the rooms and we are very sorry that you had encountered challenges with some of the bulbs not working. Our maintenance and housekeeping teams strive to ensure that bulbs are working and that when they do blow out, they are changed right away.

Please feel free to contact me directly at any time and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Whistler Village Inn + Suites should you return to Whistler in the future.

With best regards,
Camille Keep, General Manager
Beaver Bank
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

We were 2 adult couples travelling BC and Ab in late September /early October. Selected this hotel mainly on price.
The room had 2 queen beds and it was quite cramped, but we expected that so no complaint. The room was also quite clean, all be it very dated and in need of a facelift, in fact the entire place could use the same treatment. The hallways were very dirty and the carpets heavily stained and worn. This place is used by skiers and mountain bikers, so there is a lot of foot traffic with out door equipment etc.
. When I reserved this place in late May, it advertised a complimentary breakfast. It was part of the decision to stay there. Imagine our surprise when on our first morning there, we went downstairs for breakfast only to learn, "oh- we don't offer that anymore" Not even an " I am sorry". We likely encountered 5 or 6 staff and all were were borderline unfriendly and not helpful. There was a total lack of even the basic courtesies. It should be noted that the property sent me a Survey a few months ago. I responded stating all we thought was bad as well as what was OK (room cleanliness), stating I would not ever consider recommending this place to anyone. I never had any response.

We visited Whistler for 2 days and I will also note that in general, the unfriendly and less than courteous staff seemed to be prevalant in the various places we ate and shopped. This came as a major surprise, I expected just the opposite. Would I return to Whistler, No thanks.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Tulsa, OK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

The location was a short walk to the Whistler Village lifts. The hotel and our room was worn out. The dishes were dirty, there was dried food and dead bugs in the cabinets. A prior review noted the filthy ceiling fan, I stayed in the same room. The white fan had blades blackened by dirt. The shelves were dusty and the carpet appeared to be dirty. I was not impressed with the cleaning staff.
The wall paper was missing in part of the bathroom and part of the baseboard tiles were leaning against the wall. The toilet was not securely fastened to the floor and wobbled when used. The murphy bed had an attached dining table that was split down the middle and barely attached to the bed with what appeared to be a quick fix.
Unless you are a college student on spring break, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family