“Pleasant hotel, excellent location close to ski lifts” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Listel Hotel Whistler

The Listel Hotel Whistler
Ranked #17 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
England
“Pleasant hotel, excellent location close to ski lifts”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

The Listel Hotel in Whistler is a cheaper and more convenient alternative to some of the higher rated hotels such as the Fairmont Chateau or the Four Seasons.  The hotel itself is in an excellent position within about three minutes walk from the ski lifts if you're wearing ski boots.  It is adjacent to the village stroll which is the main street where pretty much everything within the town is located - and this village has everything!  There are saunas in the changing rooms, meaning that my husband and I couldn't use them together however what we really needed at the end of the day was a jacuzzi and the communal (very) hot tub provided just that.  There is a fine dining restaurant located within the hotel although we never tried it due to the large variety of restaurants available in the village.

As with most ski resort hotels, you weren't allowed to keep your skis in your room, however there was a relatively efficient method of storing them whilst not in use. The hotel reception label them up with your room number and get them out of storage when you request them. When you're done at the end of the day, just put them back in the rack in the foyer and they will get put away again.  One day we had to ask twice before we got them, but this was the exception to the rule.  We learnt to ask for them prior to going to breakfast so that we didn't have to wait once we were ready and miss out on valuable skiing time.

Our room was a good size and contained two double beds - plenty of dumping ground after a hard day's skiing for me and my husband!!  The room also had a full sized fridge for your use, which was handy for purchasing sandwich fillers for our packed lunches as the restaurant prices on the mountain were predictably high.  The bathroom was relatively modern and contained toiletries in handy dispensers in the shower rather than having individual bottles like other hotels.  We had a little trouble with the bath and the sink where the plugs didn't form a good enough seal to contain the water, but generally there were no other problems.  There was a door that lead to an adjacent room which was kept locked as we didn't know our neighbours but it did allow a lot of noise to come through.  This along with some loud shouting from merry people in the early hours and the loud sound of a boiler/shower/something else (?) at around 5am were quite irritating.  Others who normally sleep through may not be bothered by the sounds overnight, however a Brit like me who's not coping well with the time zone change and who's still trying to force myself to sleep from 4am onwards could get quite annoyed!!  If it helps your decision, my husband didn't notice any of the noise...

The hotel's biggest downfall by far was breakfast. We were advised on booking that half board or all inclusive options didn't really exist in resort however breakfast was included.  If there was an option to have room only at the Listel, then I would choose that in future to save paying extra for such a poor spread.  I ended up eating the same thing every single day purely due to the lack of choice and would have eaten elsewhere had it not been so expensive already to pay for lunch and dinner also.

The breakfast was continental and had a very small selection of bread for toast, bagels, muffins and a few cereals.  A cooked option would have been appreciated but having never visited Whistler before I don't know if this is a 'done thing' in any of the resort hotels.  At the start of our stay, there was a single toaster which was extended to two as the hotel got busier. Without exaggeration, these toasters were, by far, the most ridiculously slow toasters I have ever encountered and meant that many people were stood around waiting for their breakfast to cook.  Others decided to leave their finished toast in the toaster and leave the rest of us waiting while they ate their cereal but that's another story!  At one point my husband had finished his breakfast and coffee by the time I even sat down.  We were determined to eat what we could from there to get our money's worth and try and stop the hunger pangs before lunch, but it was definitely worth the $20 or so in order to get two Fresh Tracks tickets one morning. This meant we could have a cooked buffet breakfast on the mountain top (which was lovely) and then follow it up by being the very first people on the pistes (or off) - a welcome break from the chopped up snow you get within the first few hour or so of the lifts opening.

Despite the breakfast and the occasionally noisy room, I would return to the Listel Hotel purely for its vicinity to the gondolas and lifts.  I saw many people having to walk the length of the village to get back to their accommodation - not something you need after a hard day's skiing.  We used the hotel as a place to sleep and for little else and it did the job fine.  If you wanted a luxurious and peaceful stay where skiing wasn't the main focus, then maybe I would recommend elsewhere, however I would recommend Whistler whole-heartedly. The skiing was great and I have never been anywhere in the world where the locals (if you can call them that as they are from all over the world) are so friendly and genuinely interested in having a conversation with you.

Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions about the hotel or Whistler!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Spuriosity

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Korean first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

I can't say enough about the Listel- but I hope you'll read the following details I've noticed that stand-out, and are pretty much stand-alone from all the hotels in Whistler, BC (And I've stayed at almost all of them). The hotel is boutique, and located in the heart of the village- BEST location!- yet doesn't feel too busy, and has the inner workings of a well-oiled machine. Most of all, the approachability and genuine candor of staff makes the stay feel chalet-chic even though all the regular hotel charms and expectations are met. Zak at the front desk helped me make my reservation and it was such a surprise to see the same person from the phone actually at the desk when I arrived to answer every question and take care of all details. Not only that, Zak must have ESP because he anticipated needs during all 4 nights and would suggest the help- even before we asked! I've stayed a lot of places but never seen all the staff hone their hospitality skills so smoothly. The customer service, booking ease (and reservations changes in particular), professionalism, efficiency and knowledge/guidance about Whistler/activities/advice is unparalleled. Continental Breakfast is perfect before a day on the slopes! Hot tub is even better after! Adding value to the already well-priced stay is the fact that The Bearfoot Bistro (Of Whistler wine and dine infamy) is attached to the hotel and makes for a great late night, and if you want the night to go even later, there are a few saucy hot spots mere stumbling paces away... (I prefer room service ;-) Thanks to the Listel for CONSISTENTLY displaying all the above I've mentioned. I now for the 3rd year in a row ONLY choose Listel for my multiple trips to the big W, every year... I have been converted and am now #LISTEL4LIFE! Thanks ZAK, VANESSA and the amazing staff!!!

Room Tip: Ask for Zak at the front desk. He is honest, candid, efficient and can offer way better advice than...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Alexandra S
Penticton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

We were very pleased with the service: on the phone during booking, at check-in and check-out. We got a very good rate.
The room was beautiful, clean, comfortable and efficient.
The location was perfect; walking distance to everything we needed.

Room Tip: We were able to negotiate a suitable rate. They were flexible.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2011

I got a great rate through WhistlerBlackcomb.com and was very pleased with the overal value and experience that I received at the hotel. The location is central in Whistler Village. The rooms are good , clean, falt screen TV, mini fridge. I actually really liked have a decent size mini fridge, I have stayed at other, generally luxury hotels where there is only a mini bar and they auto charge you if you take anything out.

The breakfast was basic but good, bagels, fruit, cereal, coffee, tea, etc. Great considering it's included in the price.

The service was very good, very friendly front desk.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

This is a great hotel. It was booked on the WhistlerBlackcomb site, with last minute deal. Didn't try the restaurant but the rooms are very nice, comfortable, spacious, the valet service for the ski/snowboard is without a hassle, the spa and sauna facilities are great, good breakfast, very affordable. All around great service !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Whistler Blackcomb.com

Surrey, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

The most friendly staff EVER. We got a coupon to be used. They weren't fussy about forgetting to bring the voucher. Computer station there in lobby has printer connected which they let you print your voucher out with no charge. Great friendly and speedy customer service, our hair dryer wasn't working so we called front desk and asked for new one. With in 3 min someone came at our door to check on the dryer and replaced it.

TIPS

1) request late check out, latest to check out is 12:30 which we got for no extra charge

2) parking is $18 per night uptill 4pm the next day, which let you ski till the lifts close which is at 3pm at the moment. When I stayed at other hotels at whistler they charged you "half day" charges for parking at their hotel after checkout. Listel's policies letting you park till 4pm after you've checked out without extra charge is GREAT! two thumbs up to the staff at Listel for this awsome policy

3) FREE BREAKFAST! one of the only ones offered at hotels at whistler... go right when the breakfast starts which is 7am I believe because things like yogurt is not refilled when it's gone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

The Listel hotel is kept in immaculate condition with the friendliest staff I've yet to come across in the industry! A few minute walk from the chairlift, fair prices and a laid back environment from hallway to hot tub sets the Listel apart from the rest! I recommend the Listel to anyone going up to Whistler for the night. Big shout goes out to Zak for the awesome customer care and hooking up the Onyx tickets!

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor get you out the door and on the hill faster!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends