“BAD”

Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
new westminster
“BAD”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

Never am I ever staying at this hotel. First of all the kitchen stove was NOT working! It took 2 hours just to boil noodles, and we got harrased by one staff member who apparently was the "hotel manager" complaning and yelling at us saying that we were too loud when noone in our floor ever complained. He was waiting outside our door for 30 minutes, so we felt harrased and scared. Robes were dirty, and so was the bathroom. Worst place I've ever stayed in Whistler! My suggestion if you want a FULL KITCHEN - dont stay at the Summit!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank cocov5228
SummitLodgeSpa, Front Office Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2011
Dear AngusYo

I'm so sorry to hear of your guest experience and that your reservation was not honoured.

Summit Lodge has been under new management since this experience. We are now accepting pets again, and we would love to be able to have you stay with us.

Best wishes,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shepshed, Leicestershire
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Got to summit lodge after a six hour scenic drive from Clearwater near Wells Gray Provincial Park. On arrival check in staff were courteous and helpful, except when they mentioned that there was no long stay public parking in Whistler and that we would have to pay C$18 per night for parking underneath the lodge! After expressing my dissatisfaction we proceeded to our allocated room and upon entering found that it was already occupied by someone else who had decided to stay extra days. After storming off back down to reception to complain a witch hunt took place and it seems housekeeping had releaed the room by mistake. The receptionist could not be more apologetic and as a result gave us complimentary parking for our stay. Result! The rooms were very modern and well appointed. each had its own kitchen area and balcony, ours had a nice mountain view, though some just face the street. The location was great as was just on the outskirts of the main village area but an easy walk to all the shops and action , it also had Spa facilities though we did'nt use them so can't comment.. Being a lodge with suites, there was no restaurant so we did have to search for our meals, though there are plenty of place to choose from, but people staying longer might make more of the kitchen facilities. An enjoyable stay in a great location would definitely come back again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This is a no frills boutique hotel and loved that we were able to easily book for just one night in Whistler. We took the Mountaineer train up that morning and this was one of the drop off locations. A little tucked away from the main hustle of the Village Center and Mountain bases, it was close and convenient to amenities (liquor store, groceries, shops, etc).
The hotel boasts a wonderful looking Taman Sari Spa, and offers a Tapas lounge/bar however, we opted to go to Blue Highways Shiatsu/Massage clinic across the street in a commercial building. Reasonably priced and we were able to book in last minute. (Best shiatsu ever by Hiroshi Aoki! I will have to go back to Whistler to see him again!)
Our room was super clean,roomy, modern, huge soaker tub (lovely!!) and private patio.
Only complaint and nothing to do with hotel is that It is kinda noisy because across the street, on the other side of the buildings, there's alot of construction going on so you hear the squeeking/engines early in the morning.

Outdoor pool is small, hot tub had weak jets, and the place could've offered more lawnchairs for guests. (there was only 3 or 4 and the rest were patio chairs and table, otherwise, it was nice having a treed area to look out to.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I originally booked two nights at Summit Lodge, and received a fairly decent summer deal. Then a few days later, I wanted to add a third night to the booking. I checked the Summit website, and noticed the room rate would be cheaper than my original booking. I phoned asking for the cheaper rate. I was told to talk to the person in charge. I left a message but never heard anything back. When at the hotel, I talked with the front desk agent and relayed my request to have the room rate adjusted (according to their hotel website). She assured me someone would respond to my query. No one did...until I responded to their emailed survey with some critical comments. Then and only then did I get a response. I just wanted someone to respond to my question--but it took three firm attempts before that happened.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kerrisdale40
Lorraine Y, Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you Kerrisdale40 for taking the time to give us feedback.

We're sorry that you found the service dissatisfactory and can understand completely.

Since your review in August 2008, we have had an overhaul in management and renovations, and a lot of new and different staff. Since then our team have made a lot of changes to our brand, service and design, and hope that if you return you'll find it quite different to your experience.

Lorraine

Manager
Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel
Sacramento
Reviewed August 3, 2009

Summit Lodge cancelled our Family Christmas vacation today! As noted in the e-mail they suddenly decided to not allow pets anymore and not honor reservations already made.

In my opinion, this is a horrible way to treat your customers. And this although they previously had heavily advertised vacationing with pets on their web site as one of their unique selling points.
I suspect many business in Whistler are now putting together their offerings & pricing in the light of the Olympic Games. We also contacted some restaurants and got a few answers supporting this assumption.
Most likely we will not stay in Whistler at all this year since I expect more local business (hotels, restaurants etc) will be undertaking major efforts to maximize their profit during the "olympic season"

You have decide for yourself if you would like to pay the extra price or skip Whistler this year.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank AngusYO
Lorraine Y, Manager at Summit Lodge Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear AngusYO,

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience here in 2009, and that the staff responded in such a manner.

Since then, Summit Lodge is under new management and has a new team of staff, as well as a couple of renovations. As well, Summit Lodge is once again a pet friendly hotel.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Lorraine
lorraine@summitlodge.com
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was my first trip to Whistler, BC and all I can say is WOW! I will be back. I had no idea how much there is to do in the summer. The place is breathtakingly beautiful with tons to do for active, outgoing families.

The hotel was absolutely perfect in every way. We found all of the staff to be friendly and helpful. We got upgraded to a larger room on the 2nd floor. It even had a small kitchenette, microwave, fridge, etc. It also had a fireplace and a small outside balcony.

We brought a dog with us and they welcomed him by putting his name up on the board when we checked in. How cute is that? The second floor is the dog floor although it was very clean and I never smelled any pet odors at all. In fact, I never heard another dog even bark.

I actually liked the location of this hotel as it was a little quieter than some of the other places our friends were staying at a little closer to the inner village. It's very close to the grocery store, Starbucks and Circle K convenience store (it might have been 7-11). The pasta place across the street we were told was wonderful although we never made it.

The only negative was the parking...$20 a day underground but parking is a pain anywhere you go in Whistler.

They also offer free WIFI...most places were charging.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Durham UK
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We stayed at Summit Lodge for a couple of nights as part of our Canada holiday, and found it a very pleasent experience. We seemed to have dropped-in between the peak Winter and Summer holiday times, but even so Whistler seemed fairly lively. Summit Lodge however is in a quieter area of the village, so we were not unduly disturbed. Parking in Whistler is a pain - you either park outside the village for free, or pay through the nose - we parked at Summit Lodge for $20 per night, over twice as much as central Vancouver! Our room was on the top floor and overlooked the Main Street, and had all the necessary appointments including TV, aircon, etc. What we had not expected was the kitchenette, which allowed us to use the convenient local grocery store for our own meals as required. Whistler has lots of bars and eateries, but when you are on a long holiday some variety is nice. The fixtures and fittings in the room were beginning to look a bit hammered, but I suppose that's to be expected for a winter sports resort. Summit Lodge was a very nice stay, and we would definitely recommend it.

One word of warning, and nothing at all to do with Summit Lodge. The whole of Whistler and its surrounding area is at present one huge building site, in preparation for the 2010 Winter Olympics. There are major road works on the Sea to Sky Highway, which have very poor marking and traffic management, making driving difficult. In Whistler itself there are lots of building projects, resulting in clouds of dust and sand all over. It won't last for ever, but I expect the rest of 2009 will be blighted.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple