“Staff exellence”

Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Northern England
“Staff exellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

I went out to Whistler and stayed in the Crystal Lodge with a friend, we found 98% of the resort staff gave 100% satisfaction to customer care, like American service but more genuine and a better understanding of humour!
The mix of staff within the hotel was akin to the resort, Brits, Aussi's and Canadian's. The only bad resort staff member we met, had just been doing seasons too long and was very coin operated, the only Hotel staff member that was not excellent was from........no not France...........Germany.........I felt that it was not his fault, it is just simply a totally different culture, the humour, the friendliness, the helpfull attitude in every situation does simply not travel. But EVERY other staff member within the hotel preformed better that some of the best hotels I have stayed in, it made the experience so good that upon my return, I re-booked to go back to the same resort and Hotel two weeks later with my whole family!

• Liked — The location and staff.
  • Disliked — The slow lifts.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2009

We chose this hotel due to it's central location and reasonable value compared to what else was on offer in Whistler whilst staying for one night in August 2008. We arrived at the hotel quite early (about midday) but they had a room ready for use and allow us to use their car park all day. The room was relative compact with two double beds, a small dressing table and a built in wardrobe. There was only one outside window so the natural light wasn't great. The beds were OK (not the best) and the bathroom was all quite modern and clean.

He came to Whistler to have a look round and to go quad biking up Mount Whistler. We did a four hour drive which includes dinner halfway up the mountain which was absolutely great, definately worth the money.

We had breakfast in the restaurant underneath the Crystal Lodge (which the staff recommended) and the food was good but quite expensive.

We absolutely loved Whistler but if we went again I would consider spending a little bit more money and staying somewhere extra special.

• Liked — Central Whistler location
  • Disliked — Smallish hotel rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

There were some problems on check in. The problems were caused by the reservation staff onsite, but to get anyone including the manager own up to it or even make an attempt to fix it was near impossible.

Even once I had definitive proof that I was right, I was still treated as if I had bothered them by staying here, and never once received an appology from any staff member at the front desk. I don't know if I would go as far as calling them rude, but they seemed completly unconcerned that I might have a problem.

I elected to stay in an economy room. Big mistake. It's about the size of a postage stamp. There isn't room for bags or barely even to walk around.

The TV's look like they're from about 1985.... maybe 20 inch CRT. It takes a while to warm up before the red streaks go away, and perhaps I'm spoiled with an LCD tv at home(not HD), but I find this really fuzzy.

My next impression is that I feel like I'm being gouged at every turn on things that I think shoudl be included with a hotel room -
Parking? Yeah thats another $18-$24.
Internet? Sure! but that will hit you another $10/day, and you can only buy one day at a time. Every day you have to go though the hassel of calling the front desk and getting an obscure code to get the next days internet.

The hot tub was nice. It's outdoors, which I found supprising. They do keep it warm enough though, and the pool is a decent size.

The fitness room is rather small, but well lit, and they don't have a lot of machines - 2 bikes and 2 treadmills.

It is in a VERY good location, right beside the ski lifts. It might even be better than the Hilton, but for the hassels I think I'll stay a little further away where I can enjoy my hotel stay a little more.

In conclusion, if you are here to ski your buns off and have no intention of staying in the hotel for anything other than sleeping, this might be the place. If you want a relaxing home away from home, there are far better hotels in the village with way better rates.

• Liked — The Hot tub was nice - great hot water surrounded by snow. Great social scene
  • Disliked — The feeling of being gouged all the time.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Lord_jag
Milton Keynes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

We visited Whistler for 2 weeks over the Christma period whilst the skiing conditions were not a good as previous years, the Crystal Lodge was a revelation. We stayed in a loft apartment, which was really well equipped, even for Canada, with a modern feel, but the best part about the rooms was the dual entry split across 2 floors. This was perfect for my wife & I as we like to burn the candle at both ends, but the couple who joined us tended to go to bed early. The hotel is ideally located, just 2 minutes walk from the bottom of the slopes and i would recommend the hotel's bar "The Crystal Lounge" for apres ski to both residents and non residents. It's cheap (for Whistler), the 30 cent chicken wings went down a storm each day and the waitress with the bobble hat was incredibly attentive, with her wonderful catchphrase "for sure".

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quite a way from the pool & jacuzzi
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

Had a great time here, no problems at all. Our room was a King Deluxe on the renovated side of the hotel - very large room a little kitchenette which was just great for us. My daughter was on a sofa bed, which was very comfortable. Our bed was huge and very comfortable. The rooms were nice and warm and the hotel must be one of the best locations in the village, it really was at the centre of it all!
We ate at Rics on NYE which was lovely although by 6.30pm our 1st and 2nd choice wines had already sold out and by 8pm 1st choice dessert had gone too, but no worries the wine guy recommended something equally nice for us, and I saved a few calories!!
The Mix at Rics is a great little place too, can get cocktails and tapas - both were lovely.
All in all, I would recommend this to all - when we return to Whistler - this is where we'll stay.

• Liked — Location, location, location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Woodinville, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2008

In attempting to resolve a reservation issue, I found the staff to be indifferent to my concerns, rude in response to my questions, and dishonest in their notes to file regarding previous calls.

For anyone in a service industry to behave this way is baffling, but at this time, in this economy, and for the type of service they provide, I am astonished.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — Service Staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Unkl_Witz
New Westmisnter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in October because I needed a couple days out of the city to relax and unwind and its exactly what I did.

The staff, accommodations, and location were absolutely great...

I've been to alot of other hotels and found the staff here far more friendly and "real" making my experience stress free.

• Liked — the staff
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo