“Wouldn't recommend during summer season!”

Crystal Lodge Hotel
Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Montreal, Canada
“Wouldn't recommend during summer season!”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Booked the Crystal Lodge for 2 nights (Aug 31st and Sept 1) - Exterior was beautiful, Lobby was nice, room was atrocious. The room was clean, but I wasn't expecting to walk into a room that was decorated in the 80's! Old TV...Old Carpet...very old washroom....Shall I continue? For a hotel located in Whistler Village, I wouldn't recommend this place - I had a very hard time sleeping for the two nights (room was too small). I was expecting a complimentary upgrade (given low season - low vacancy), but I guess we/I weren't worthy of a simple upgrade. In summary: Pick another hotel!

1 Thank Ajram
GMIan, General Manager at Crystal Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time in providing us with your feedback following your recent stay with us at the Crystal Lodge. I am disappointed to read that you were not impressed with the furnishings in the traditional room but am pleased to let you know that as of next we are undergoing improvements in all of these room types to match the upgraded Lodge wing of the hotel. These upgrades will include new TV's, new furniture, and bathroom upgrades. I hope that in the future you will reach out to me directly at ilowe@crystal-lodge.com as I would enjoy getting your feedback of our updated rooms. Kind regards, Ian Lowe.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Leyburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for two nights, and really enjoyed our stay. This is one of the oldest hotels in Whistler, and the decor looks a bit tired in a few places, but it was well-maintained and very clean. The staff were super friendly and helpful, and really made our stay, from the moment we first walked up to the front desk. We had a room overlooking the Village Stroll, and were a little concerned about the potential for noise, but we had no problems at all. This may have been due to the fact that it was the very end of the summer season, but we slept very well and were not disturbed. The location is very convenient, and couldn't be faulted - pretty much everything you need is within walking distance. Take note though, those who arrive by bus and are dropped off at the Gateway, that the lobby entrance is on the Village Green, the *opposite* side to the Village Stroll ( there are doors on the Stroll side, but they can only be accessed by keyholders). We went around in circles a few times trying to find the way in before someone gave us directions!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your review. You have raised a very good point with respect to the access from the bus drop-off area and will take a good look at means of improving this signage. Kind Regards, Ian Lowe
mission
Reviewed September 7, 2011

You'd think that such a prestigious looking hotel would be a nice place to stay in Whistler, but I have definitely experienced better. I was only looking for a place for one night and searched around for a bit to find the cheapest place, but they were all the same, about $180 a night, and also someplace thats close to the village stroll, which it was, and that may have been the only good thing about it. The room was extremely small for 4 people, barely enough room to walk around, no screens in the windows, and a bowl full of snacks that you had to pay for if you wanted some ($2.95 for a pack of 2 cookies, really?). Even the internet you had to pay for. My sister came with us last minute, so their were 4 of us instead of 3 and they wanted to charge me an extra $30 for her to stay in the room with us, which had 2 double beds....and that was on top of the $22 a night for parking. The layout of the hotel was also confusing - the main floor and lobby were on 2 different floors, and you needed the room key to use the elevator. What I did like was the fact that it opened right out into the village, so shopping and restaurants were right there, and the old spaghetti factory and the crystal lounge were attached. The people there were very friendly however, as was the service, but if you wanted something other than what was included, then it will obviously cost you extra. Honestly, the best thing it has going for it is the location.

2 Thank Lowrider46
GMIan, General Manager at Crystal Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2011
'Lowrider46', thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at the Crystal Lodge. Although we aim to exceed the expectations of 100% of our guests we also like to learn from those guests that have not had their expectations exceeded. After reading your feedback it sounds like much of the concerns raised revolved around your room size and being that your party increased by one last minute would have strongly recommend one of our deluxe rooms that are almost 50% larger. The room type you were in is not ideally suited to having 4 adults. As for your comment regarding the internet I am very confused by this as we have been offering complimentary internet service in all rooms since May 2011. If you were advised otherwise or read somewhere that there was a cost I would be interested in finding out more. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Kind regards, Ian Lowe.
Oregon
Reviewed September 5, 2011

My husband and I were able to finally get away for our 25th wedding anniversary and saw the Living Social deal. The first problem was when I got the deal, it said Traditional Studio. When looking at the website, the hotel does either Traditional Rooms or Deluxe Studio. I called Living Social first, and they said call the hotel to clarify which room they were going to put us in, since the website for Crystal lodge describes the Deluxe Studio as a more spacious updated room.

Since we were getting one shot at this 25th wedding anniversary trip, I really wanted it special in the better room. I called the Crystal lodge and asked them to clarify which room it was and the girl I spoke to, said, "Oh, you are using Living Social? Then definitely the lower grade Traditional room"

Instantly I felt 'second class' for using this Living social coupon the way she said it, so I asked if there was any way possible to pay the difference to get into a better room, since this was our anniversary trip and she quickly said no, we'd have to stick with that coupon. I then asked if she was 100% sure it wasn't for the Studio room since that is what my Living Social coupon actually had on it and she said once again, no, it is the downgraded room... Down graded room, REALLY??? At the time I called they did have open rooms we could have upgraded too because I thought about canceling Living Social and just doing that because we wanted to come to Whistler but not be compromised.

I looked at the pictures once more, since now a second call to Living Social yielded my a chance at a refund on the whole coupon because the woman at Living Social agreed the wording did sound like it should have been for a studio. The room didn't look bad in the photograph. Let me just say, coming into the hotel, they were nice enough, but they said we were in the back of the building. Coming up with our bags there was a musty smell in the dated hallways and I was starting to rethink my choice of not taking the refund. Once to the room, it was way smaller than I could have expected. One person had to move so the other could even get to the window to look out over the Village Stroll. It was just massively cramped. My husband was trying to be a good sport about it, but it was clearly a let down. If Whistler had not been sold out, I might have seriously taken the loss financially and tried to find us a bigger room to celebrate our anniversary.

The bathroom was so small and outdated I couldn't believe it. The sink had rust around the outer edge, with a stray hair or two around it ( I have pics) and one of those old diamond looking faucets from the 70s. The toilet seat kept slipping over and the bathroom door knob did not line up with the door and when I went to open the bathroom door back up the screws scraped the blood out of my knuckles where they had stripped the screw heads trying to get it in. Sitting on the toilet I could see out of the bathroom through the gap in the door knob. You know it is going to be awesome when you see a repair slip in the welcome book that they tell you to put on your pillow. I have been in hotels all over the world and this was a first time ever seeing that, was that a clue?

This was not the vision I had for Whistler, nor for my 25th anniversary. The pictures they take make this room look bigger than it is. I would have loved to have had more space to spread out and enjoy our time there. We had a tiny table in the room, but it was jammed up to the tv stand you couldn't move.
The location, like others say is good, but since nothing in the Whistler village is more than a few minutes walk, that is not a reason to accept a room like that. We loved Whistler and the Peak 2 Peak was great. We ride mountain bikes and have already started talking about coming back again this year to Whistler. I just don't think it could be here. Especially, since there seemed to be a thing about the Living Social coupon. When I booked the room at Crystal lodge the girl told me to immediately make my reservation at Ric's grill, the hotel restaurant we had a coupon for. When I called there the woman took the reservation and was almost done but then quickly asked me "are you one of THOSE living social people?" It was the way it was being said that really put me off. This term became a running joke with me and my husband.

As a note, Ric's is a great place to eat, it really is, but we were sitting next to a large party of at least 20 people on the Living Social coupon and they had regular menus, as with Living Social you got a special menu, they didn't know it and started to order but when the waitress realized this, she went through grabbing the menus from their hands while they looked confused. I felt really bad for them and you could clearly hear the confusion going on within the group. I was lucky enough that when I made the reservation the woman emailed the Living Social menu with the confirmation and told me we could add to our dinner from the regular menu because the other people weren't even given a chance to look at them. There was such a large party of them most of the people around them knew exactly what was going on.
I would just say know what you are getting when you book here and maybe shop around to see if this is the best deal for such a small room, some people may not be bothered by side stepping every time one of you needs to move. The good things going for this room was the newer carpet and the updated bedding. That doesn't make up for the outdated vibe of this small room though. This was room 321, you would look right down on the central walkway. I guess since I just got home from my BC trip tonight, and already on trip advisor looking for another Whistler hotel room that might have been a better choice, I know this room was a major let down.

Room Tip: Go with the Delux Studio room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travelnkitty
Thank you very much for providing the hotel with such a detailed review of your past stay at the Crystal Lodge. Your feedback has been shared with our management team. You will be pleased to learn that we have begun updates on our traditional rooms addressing some of the items you mentioned in your review. Kind Regards, Ian Lowe
Reviewed September 5, 2011

The loft suite was spacious, with good decor and a well equipped kitchen. I would highly recommend it, with only downside being a lack of balcony. Service in the hotel was excellent and the only real downside is the parking charge of over $20 per night which seems excessive in summer as you don't really use a car in whistler and may be better using free parking in lot 4 if you can be bothered. Lots on complaints on trip advisor about noise, but ok mon to weds during our stay and you shouldn't book a hotel in centre if you want peace and quiet. Overall it exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed August 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review of the Crystal Lodge & Suites. The loft suites are one of our most popular room types thus pleased to hear that you and your party highly recommend them as well. I would also like to thank you for recognizing our high guest service standards as we have a dedicated and passionate group of employees working for the hotel. Kind regards, Ian Lowe.
calgaryalberta
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights , in a 1bdrm, in there updated wing. perfect for 5 of us. Nice rooms. The deluxe rooms looked very nice to. And the price was excellent.
Excellent service, very friendly, helpful staff. great front desk and doorman crew! Housekeeping very accommodating.
Great location, right in the centre off all in the village. kids loved the pool, although the typical small whistler pool.
Will be back to this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for posting your recent review of the Crystal Lodge. It is refreshing to see such positive guest service comments and know that these will inspire our team to continue to deliver such personalized service. Kind regards, Ian Lowe
Rancho Mirage, California
Reviewed September 1, 2011

This hotel is very nice and our check-in guy was excellent, giving us info about the location compared to the ski lifts, how to do the "Peak to Peak" gondola ride and all about the restaurants and hotel facilities. Unfortunately, the single room I got was the size of a broom closet with a window in it! It was in a corner and sort of triangle shaped with the window at the point looking into a wall and the window next door. Honestly, for the price it was really disappointing. Luckily I didn't spend much time in the room but make sure you don't get room 312 or you will be sorry!!!

Room Tip: make sure you don't get room 312!!! it's a shoebox!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank DKD93
Thank you for recognizing our strong customer service at the Crystal Lodge. Your feedback regarding your room is understood. This particular room type (Traditional Room - Single) is designed for the single traveler and is indeed our smallest room in the hotel. If you are looking for a larger room type on your next visit to Whistler I would recommend the Traditional King or the larger Deluxe King Suite. Kind regards, Ian Lowe.