New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 91 things to do in Whistler
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An excellent location to relax and read”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

It was a bit of a rainy day and we had some time to just relax away from our hotel, do a little reading in a modern, inviting and very friendly atmosphere. The staff were great!

Visited May 2013

Juneau, Alaska
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Nice place to study if they're not remodeling the parking garage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have visited the Whistler library repeatedly in my time as a university student. While I was a bit surprised on my first visit to discover that they do not open until 11AM, once inside the facility is spacious and modern. Unfortunately on some of my visits the garage underneath was being redone and there was loud cement drilling filling part of the hall. The second time this was an issue the librarian offered my girlfriend and I free coffee and tea! Overall a welcoming staff and environment. Like they say in Telluride, come for the skiing, stay for the library.

Visited April 2013
Bowen Island, Canada
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 225 helpful votes
“Great architecture, reasonably good stacks, excellent ancilliary services”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

This place cost a fortune- and is more of a statement than a facility, in my view. Architects Condon Marlor garnered several awards for this building and it is understandable why.

An L-shaped, vaulted ceiling post and beam structure with great natural light, the library more than adequately serves the needs of a 10k population.

However, the stacks themselves are pretty prosaic, the use of space pretty scandalous for it inefficiency.

Yet it's all there- a luxurious sitting area laden with local and international periodicals, papers etc., good study areas, IT, meeting and kids' rooms.

The librarians are well trained amenable to questions, and clearly are proud of what they do.

But like so much else at Whistler, there is a lot of hype and 'preciousness', and I wonder (not having used the library a lot), whether their collections and circulation match the building and the staff.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Peter F
Vancouver, Canada
“Live like a local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Anytime I'm in Whistler I make a special point of visiting the Whistler Library. Tucked across the street from the main village it's close to everything yet stepping inside instantly makes you feel like a local.

Visited March 2013
Vancouver, Canada
83 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 105 helpful votes
“Lucky we found the library!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at whistler this week, with young children. While the skiing members if the family went up the hill, we were babysitting the youngest family members, aged ten months and three! In the rain! What to do!? The Whistler public library saved the day! We were there on a wednesday morning, and the little ones really enjoyed the story time and craft session. The room was comfortable, and the group was an ideal size. The children's librarian did a good job of making us feel welcome. The rest of the library also seemed to be a good place to spend some quality time! Well done, Whstler community!

Visited March 2013