“Good value, great locatiom.” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Coast Blackcomb Suites at Whistler
Ranked #16 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
Vancouver, BC, Canada
“Good value, great locatiom.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Great value, and terrific ski in/ski out location .... ten steps on snow from hotel door to the ski run!
Not billed as luxury, it is a most comfortable lodge type stay, with good amenities of pool, hot tubs, fitness centre and free breakfast. The whistler free shuttle bus is a bonus, getting guests to and from the village day and night. Staff are helpful and timely in response to needs and fixes. Families are welcome. Secure parking costs extra $23.00/night, not unusual for any Whistler hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the road and traffic circle are quieter, but even those are not really noisy.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

Booked the Coast Blackcomb through the Whistler.com website. Didn't know much about the hotel except that there was free breakfast...

Had a very pleasant stay. Had a single room suite (no separate bedroom), which was well equipped with a full kitchen, bed and living room area. The couch was a sofa bed, but I didn't pull it out to check. One thing I found a little odd was the single TV that could swivel to either face the living room area or the bedroom area. Not sure what you would do if you had a few people staying there and everyone wanted to watch a movie?

Location was great! Could grab my skis in the morning from the ski storage and ski right down to the Wizard chair. It's also right across from Base 2 of the blackcomb gondola, which I think runs til at least 8pm. And there's a free shuttle/bus that runs so being up on the hill was never really an issue.

Hot tub was good! Although the buttons for the jets were a little confusing... you could sit and watch everyone ride the chairlift if you came in early or just enjoy the scenery.

Breakfast was great with lots of options (you could even ask for gluten free options or soymilk), pretty much everything you could imagine a continental breakfast would have. There wasn't quite enough in the way of seating area downstairs, but they had trays so you could bring your food back to your room too.

Would definitely think about staying here again :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed at the Whistler Blackcomb this past winter, and while reporting that it is an adequate three-star hotel, it is not luxurious. It is adequate.

I highlight this because I booked my room with Whistler Blackcomb Central Reservations. I used the "Last Minute Deals" feature which has the to-be named hotel shown as and selling as a four-star hotel. It is only after full payment and confirmation, did I find out the name of the hotel -- Coast Blackcomb.

Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Tingo.com, Hotels.com, TripAdvisor.com, Booking.com, Tingo.com and Pricline.com all show Coast Blackcomb as a three-star hotel.

When I returned home, I asked the Whistler Blackcomb Central Reservations about this star-rating discrepancy, and they told me they use the rating sytem of Whistler Tourism. They did tell me they would forward my comments for consideration, etc.

The rate I paid would have been good for a last-minute four-star hotel. I do not think it was a good rate or great "last minute" rate for a three-star hotel.

Comments on the Property:
It is outdated and run-down.

Hospitality at the Front Desk -- not good.
When I arrived I was exhausted and starving from traveling. When the Vancouver bus dropped me off at the front door, I immediately walked into the lobby looking for some bellman help. The lady at the front desk responded they did not have bellman service. When she saw my look of exasperation, she mentioned something about luggage carts and I now realize she used a term like "house-men" -- a term I was not familiar with. I got a luggage cart and brought my own bags to my room.

Later in the evening, I made contact with this same female about a late checkout the next day.
She told me I needed to call Housekeeping in the morning. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels, and I know that you call the front desk to request a late checkout. Sure enoughs, later that evening when I returned from town, I noticed that some young fellows were at the front desk.
I asked them if they could add an hour to my check-out time; in less than 60 seconds, the mission was accomplished. I should add I arrived during mid-week, not on a weekend, when check-ins and check-outs can get very busy.

Score for the front desk -- not very good.

Location is not great. It is not near any restaurants or grocery stores. They have a closet from which they sell snacks -- from what I could tell, chips, etc. Nothing very appealing after a long day of travel.

Pet-Friendly - yes. They are pet friendly. I, for precise reasons, do not like staying at hotels which permit pets. On a funny note, they had a glass jar containing "cookies" on the end table near the couch. I would have given anything for them to be complimentary cookies for humans -- they were dog biscuits!

A positive note -- they do have ski in/ski out from the back door.

Another positive is that the shuttle to the town, restaurants, grocery stores, and the slopes does run frequently -- probably every 20 minutes, maybe a little longer in the evening.

Not Walkable -- It is really misleading for anyone to post that you can walk to town or to the slopes.
I have never seen anyone walk it and certainly not in temperatures below 30 Degrees Farenheit, with winds and snow...ridiculous.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TravelLady6
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I don't like making long reviews so here was our stay in a nut shell. Originally booked a studio suite, got upgraded to a one bedroom suite overlooking the hill and pool. Great view! This is where I proposed to my now fiancé. The room was large and open. Staff at the hotel very accommodating and helpful. The breakfast was included which was decent to get you fueled and out the door to get to the slopes. My only issue was the beds. They were hard as a rock, though I know some people prefer this. I prefer a very soft bed personally. Would I stay again? Yes! Only if I got a similar deal during a whistler 72 hour sale.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple