“Fantastic Location in the Village”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Whistler
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 25, 2010

We loved our stay at this hotel. First off, the location is second to none. Whistler/Blackcomb village is not that large, but the Westin sits in a prime location right at the base of the Whistler gondola, making it easy to get to the top of the mountain, or anywhere else in the village. The staff were all very nice and also very helpful and efficient. The lobby and other common areas were large and comfortable.

Our room overlooked the golf driving range and mountains across the valley. The room itself was very large and well stocked. We had a small kitchenette with two burner stove, oven, sink, refrigerator, and dishwasher. We also have a sitting area with a couch and chair, and even a fireplace. The bathroom had a shower and a separate full sized tub. There was also a washer and dryer on ever floor, which was very convenient.

We didn’t eat at any of the restaurants on the property, so we can’t comment on the food. There are TONS of restaurants around the village so you can find just about any kind of food you want.

Note that you must pay for parking and internet access which can get a bit expensive. Also note that the Blackcomb gondola is CLOSED in the summer which means that places like the Fairmont and others in the upper village are not in a great location if you want to go up the mountain or on the peak to peak gondola. That was why the location was so great with the Westin being right next to the Whistler gondola.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janices7
Write a ReviewReviews (2,093)

Reviewed September 21, 2010

This resort has to be a great location for anyone on a skiing holiday! The location is right next door to the ski lifts. Our Motor Coach dropped us off at the front door and we didn't even use the front door to the resort until we left. There is a second door at the rear of the resort that takes you right in to the plaza. Upon arrival we were greeted by the front desk and upgraded to a 1 br suite from a Jr Suite. We were staying on points so it was an even better deal! We were there six nights and I have to say that our housekeepers did a great job each day, tidying up our room and leaving coffee for the next day. We didn't eat at any of the restaurants at the resort, instead we looked forward to strolling up the village in search of a new pub adventure! One day there was a complimentary stretching class which I attended and I used the fitness center every day. The pool area is small, but it never appeared to be too crowded. My only dissapoints were the rules for the whirlpool were not enforced. One day I went down just to relax and there were several children in the hot tub with their parent. Also, the women's changing room was always in need of being picked up, lots of soiled towels laying around the room, I think they could do better in that area. Lastly, you can not charge your spa to your room, which we wanted to do so we could use Starwood points to pay so we didn't use the spa either. All in all, it was a nice place, we loved sitting by our fireplace and looking out at the mountains every morning while have coffee.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank mycruz
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We had been booked into the Westin as an add-on to our 3-week trip through the Rockies from Calgary. It was the 10th hotel we stayed in over 21 days. It had been billed as the highlight: fantastic location (Whistler Village), we were to have a suite (great when there are 4 of you sharing a room!), and would definitely be a "cut above" the hotels we had stayed at elsewhere (and these had generally been very good).

On arrival we were told enticingly that there was space in the hotel and we could upgrade to a larger suite. This had happened elsewhere for free so initial reaction was "sounds good". However, it soon turned out this would cost more and would only provide 1 double-bed plus a sofa-bed (albeit in its own room). When we asked what a room with 3 beds would cost we were informed $150 per night extra although on being pressed we could have it for "just $130". We decided to stick with the suite we had been booked into (1 king-sized double + 1 sofa-bed + kitchen) all in one room.

Next shock was when we went to unload the car. Parking would cost us $28 per day on top of the room. Having checked around Whistler Village, this seems a problem endemic to the resort. There is plenty of public parking around the edge of the village but no where can you park overnight without threat of being towed. However the Westin was definitely at the high end of charges (e.g. Holiday Inn $15 for guests).

The room was very nice (as was the hotel in general). However, for us, packing the fridge with lots of very expensive goodies and using other storage space for similarly priced confectionery etc. was not helpful. We had to carefully place out of our kids way to put our own supplies somewhere.

Final beef was that out of the 10 hotels we'd stayed at, the Westin was one of only two where we could not access the internet without paying a daily charge (I think $15). We went to McDonalds and used their free wifi.

So in summary: the Westin is a great hotel if you don't mind paying more for absolutely everything. As one of the information offices in the village told us: "It has a reputation as a "nickel and dime" hotel chain." We will return to Whistler. The mountains are fantastic. But next time we'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Great_Western
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I recently returned to the Westin Whistler BC after previous stays. Was my return a disappointment? Absolutely Not! Right from arrival to checkout I was treated with the utmost of best service possible. I travel constantly throughout the year, and this would be rated as one of the best facilities i've been too, as well as outstanding service. I will be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Our first trip to BC on our round the world trip. My wife and I absolutely loved Whister, and the location and welcome we received from the Westin was first class. Located right next to the ski lifts, and at the end of the village mall made it all good. Very clean, good shopping and great facilities , we would not hesitate to recomend, or stay here again.
Owen
Perth. Western Australia

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Just thought I'd drop a few notes about my recent stay at Westin Whistler with
my family on the weekend.

Room - clean.
Service - okay friendly.

Had a bit of an accident. I obviously didn't realize the bottom shelf of the
in-room mini fridge was indeed a freezer and, in order to make room for my other
drinks, I shuffled around a few things that were already in there. A glass
bottle that got placed on the freezer bursted overnight and in attempting to
clear it, I got a deep cut on my finger from the broken pieces of glasses. Not
most impressing, huh? -:( I ended up asking housekeeping to clean up the mess
which was when they put a sticker on the freezer noting that it was indeed a
freezer. (A bit late for me I say!)

Shower experience wasn't very pleasant either. The bathtub was clogged. I was
in the shower for about 5 minutes and water level was already above my ankles.
So you can imagine how unpleasant it was to have all that soap and dirty water
left on the feet after a shower. Similar experience for other family members.
I left a note for housekeeping the next morning to unclog so the second night
wasn't as bad but water drainage was still slow.

Also, the pull plug for the shower was faulty. Everytime we tried to pull the
shower plug which was attached to the faucet, the whole piece would just fall
off. We would then have to try and put it back and it would fall off again,
etc. - we would be spending like a couple minutes everytime before we could
actually get the shower to work. I left a note for housekeeping to get it
fixed but repair wasn't done.

Overall, clean room and okay service but certain areas did not meet my
expectations of a "Westin" brand. I have stayed at different types of
accommodations at Whistler eg. Fairmont, Legends, First Tracks Lodge, Delta
Hotel, Whistler Pinnacle but, rather disappointingly, can't conclude that Westin
Whistler is a place worth recommending to others.

Subsequent to my letter of complaint to the Westin manager re the above incidents, I was appalled to see on my credit card statement the $6.12 charge by Westin for
the broken bottle of drink (whatever it was I don’t know as I never even had a
chance to consume it)! His comment was that I should have called housekeeping in the first place to get the broken glass mess cleaned up instead of getting myself injured. Had I known that housekeeping service at Westin was available 24/7 and that by phoning housekeeping and alerting everyone at 2 am in the morning about a bursted bottle would have saved my finger from getting a cut and from now doubting myself for my “stupidity” of not having done so, I would probably have opted to do so. Guess I have now in a hard way learned a lesson!

Not happy about the way the complaint was handled! Would definitely NOT recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank lildragon
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Maybe this Westin works in the winter for skiing, but it was lousy as a summer resort. This is a small, "pack 'em in tight" kind of hotel. My husband, teen daughter and I stayed in two rooms over five nights -- the first two in a regular room (they call them all "suites," but this was just one small room, with a kitchenette squeezed in). We are all on the "petite" side, but we had to move sideways in this room, it was so small. The bathroom was absolutely tiny; you almost had to step over the toilet to get out of the shower (with its infernal shower curtain). The last three nights we stayed in a junior suite (when they were able to give us the Platinum upgrade) -- this was roomier, and the bathroom larger, although still with only one sink -- did they not get the memo about luxury hotels having two sinks in junior suites? All the rooms, though, really need upgrades (theoretically, the place was renovated around 2007, but it doesn't really look it). The hotel also is not designed to be a summer resort -- the pool area, for example, is tiny and pathetic-looking. Westin does know how to do summer resorts in ski areas -- their new Beaver Creek, Colorado property which we visited last summer was lovely -- but just do not seem to want to bother with this one.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family