“More like an apartment”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sandy Creek South Australia
“More like an apartment”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed at this hotel as part of a APT tour, first class hotel. Looked out of the windows at the mountains covered in snow, it was lovely. Our room was actually an apartment which had its own sitting room with a log fire, a fully equipped kitchen, with a microwave, fully stove, fridge, etc. separate bedroom and bathroom with fluffy towels and robes. It would be great for a couple if you were there for the snow season.

• Liked — The log fire, it added to the whole romance of the setting
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (452)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Seattle, WA
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I had heard good things about the Whistler Westin, but what a great disappointment. It should be noted that this is NOT a Starwood property. It is a franchise, owned by a different company. This shows.

The couch in our room was ripped. The "King bed" was two mattresses pushed together. The standard Westin "Heavenly Bed" was no where to be found.

The most shocking part was their "directory of services." This was a clear folder (looked like a 6th-graders report) of photocopied (poorly photocopied, at that!) menus and misc information. Truly tacky.

I will say the service at the hotel is very good, but the accomodations and amenities leave LOTS to be desired.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seattleshopper
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed May 26, 2008

My husband and I decided to go to Whistler for our two year anniversary. We definitely made the right decision. I booked our trip through the Whistler/Blackcomb website. I didn't know about that website until I googled "last minute hotel deals Whistler". I was sent to the Whistler/Blackcomb site's homepage. I typed in the date that we wanted to go and I got several suggestions from the site. I chose Miguel's pick. Miguel is someone who works up in Whistler and is very knowledgeable about all things Whistler. He is a real person - there is a bio of him on the site.
The only negative thing about this site is I was not informed of the name of the hotel until after I booked it. I get all the information about the hotel BUT the name. Based on the information I was given, I decided to go for it. GOOD decision because I stayed at the Westin for 108/night.

Our room was beyond nice. I booked a junior suite which had a queen sized bed that the Westin calls their "heavenly" bed. And yes, it was heavenly.... I wanted to take it home with me. It had a kitchenette - stove, oven, fridge, freezer, microwave, dishwasher. There was a little living area with a couch that was a pullout bed, another chair, a big tv, and a fireplace. The bathroom had a soaker tub. The room was like a little condo. It had a homey and luxurious feel to it. There was also a little patio as well which we didn't really use other than to stand on it to take pictures.

The hotel was not busy at all. It felt like we were the only ones staying on the entire floor. Not once did we run into any other hotel guests. The hotel borders the village, so we felt like we right in the village without actually being in it. It gets pretty loud at night in the village, so we recommend that if you do go, do not book a hotel in there.

We used the pool and hot tub twice while we were there. The weather wasn't the greatest the first day, but the pool is heated. Like the hotel, the pool also wasn't busy either. I also would recommend getting a pedicure at the Avello Spa. It's isn't cheap, but the experience is amazing - worth every penny!

• Liked — The proximity to the village
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CanuckFan82
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Ii was lucky not only to be in Whistler for the first time(hopefully not the last) but to be lodged in this wonderful hotel located in a great sky resort surrounded by beautiful sights and surroundings.
The hotel rooms are just excellent, so cozy and confortable (specially their beds!),
I am awaiting to go there again !

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Amiramour
Glover, Vermont
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Booked a junior suite #770 for 3 days for ski vacation.
First, you have a kitchen, but no table and chairs to eat! If I cook my meals, one can assume I'll need a place to eat what I cooked! Coffee machine didn't work well, stainless steel frying pan not convenient. There was mold in the shower. NOT 5-STAR LEVEL in any way.
The room was rather small, the gas fireplace didn't produce any significant heat to dry our boots.
The lamp at the desk didn't have an electrical outlet, which means you had to do some contorsions to get under that desk and reach the very far power bar.
The king split bet was so soft you could really feel the <split> bed.
The fridge was not clean when we got it.
The hot tub/pool were not in service, we didn't know prior to booking, and even if there was an arrangement with the Hilton, it might have made us change our mind about that hotel for our stay.

The junior suite we got was about the level of 3-star (Doubletree, Holiday Inn, etc.). The lobby and other amenities look like a 5-star, location is great.

In the end, this hotel did not meet my expectations, yes it's close to the gondola, however, what's the point of booking a room with a kitchen if 1) I cannot even get a decent coffee maker 2) I don't even have a table to sit at and 3) I shower in mold and 4) I have to walk to the next hotel for the hot tub.

Also, parking is $24 a night, internet $15 a day, service charge if you put things to your bill extra %18.

Definitely not a good value for your money - we paid $98 / night for our stay and frankly we would have stayed in any 3-star condo with a room and I think we would have had a more convenient kitchen room.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not a real kitchennette room
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Genevieve9
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed April 13, 2008

We stayed in a junior suite - it has a galley kitchen tucked in at the entrance - great if you are staying a week since the breakfast buffet downstairs at $26 was mediocre and lunch at the Red Lounge was unremarkable. The junior studio room is spacious with a fireplace, wireless and a sitting area. Checkin and valet was efficient and very friendly. We have stayed at the Fairmont and Hilton in Whistler before, and the Westin is in keeping with the same standards. At the Westin, you have a little kitchen which feels more like a condo than a hotel room, as in the Fairmont and Hilton. It is centrally located in the village, and a quick walk everywhere. Our room was clean, updated, and the concierge was really helpful. The "service plus" service called just before our late checkout, and asked if we wanted a bellman and our car from the valet - this was very helpful. This is in keeping with our stay at other Westins, but Whistler had much more of a "condo" feel with the full kitchen facilities (fridge, dishwasher, oven, microwave, two-burner stove, and all supplies). It's perfect if you are staying for a few days, or have kids. The indoor and outdoor hottubs were always busy, and the little pool is good for kids but not swiming laps. If you want a better pool scene, stay at the Fairmont. The fitness room was great.

• Liked — Spacious, convenient location and great service
  • Disliked — Mediocre restaurants, small pool
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston Ma
Reviewed April 8, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Westin in Whistler Village. We’d recommend it to anyone going to Whistler to ski. Although, truthfully, it appears that there are so many decent lodging options in the Village. We’d recommend the East Rooms – as they have views of the Whistler Gondola, Blackcomb Mt, and Whistler Village. We stayed in a Junior Suite on the 9th floor. I’d recommend this as it had the great view, fireplace, and the best was a vaulted ceiling. It was a spacious room. The hotel breakfast (buffet) was amazing, but also expensive. Ended up about $70 for two people. Our only complaint about the hotel was one of the two hot tubs was out of order. For a hotel that big there should be more than one tiny hot tub for guests to use. For dining, we’d recommend Sachi Suchi at the other end of the village. Get the mango rolls. Great food and great service.

Stayed March 2008